former G E Smith Burst

Yuya Asai

Reaction score
Yuxi

Your G E Smith was renecked at Rudy's in New York City by John Suhr. I checked with Rudy's to see if they had any old records of the repair. They could not find anything. I called John Suhr to ask him if he remembers the number. Never got to talk with John personally. His employee was supposed to get him the message. They never got back with me. The repair was done over 40 years ago. G E does not remember the ser # but thinks John stamped the reneck with the original ser #. I think John Suhr would be the only person to possibly have a record of the repair. But many years have passed. Good luck if John can help you! What number did you put on 9 0127 now??
Hi Red. Thank you for your grateful information. This burst ser # is 9 0851. That Ed King mentioned on the Forum. But I could not reach the post. Now my burst stamped 9 0127. Is the fact was right I’d like to restamp it as 9 0851.

Attachments

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
Hello Yuya ! Welcome to this great Les Paul forum! Lots of great, knowledgeable people on this forum. Thank you for the headstock serial number pics.

I rechecked my serial number lists that I have been working on for over 40 years. I DID have the G E Smith burst listed as 9 0851. Dont know how I missed that or where I got that info. That would be the correct serial number for your guitar!

I was told John Suhr stamped your reneck with the original number. Looking at your pic of 9 6886, I wondered if maybe it is restamped 9 0886 and the wood grain is making the 0 look like a 6. Hard to tell from the pic. 9 0886 has not turned up yet. If Ed King said 9 0851 was the GE Smith 59 I would believe him. Maybe he saw it in person. Double white pickups would be commonly found in bursts in the 9 08XX serial number range.

John Suhr has a great guitar, amp and effects company in California, USA now. Still making great stuff.

Congratulations on finding the correct number. At this point in time, I am not aware of any other 59 burst that has that serial number. I have nearly completed all 1959 LP Std serial numbers. Many have lost their original numbers so the list will NEVER be complete, but I have the most complete list to date.

It was my pleasure to be of help to you. Enjoy that beautiful guitar.

Last edited:

Yuya Asai

Reaction score
Hello Yuya ! Welcome to this great Les Paul forum! Lots of great, knowledgeable people on this forum. Thank you for the headstock serial number pics.

I rechecked my serial number lists that I have been working on for over 40 years. I DID have the G E Smith burst listed as 9 0851. Dont know how I missed that or where I got that info. That would be the correct serial number for your guitar!

I was told John Suhr stamped your reneck with the original number. Looking at your pic of 9 6886, I wondered if maybe it is restamped 9 0886 and the wood grain is making the 0 look like a 6. Hard to tell from the pic. 9 0886 has not turned up yet. If Ed King said 9 0851 was the GE Smith 59 I would believe him. Maybe he saw it in person. Double white pickups would be commonly found in bursts in the 9 08XX serial number range.

John Suhr has a great guitar, amp and effects company in California, USA now. Still making great stuff.

Congratulations on finding the correct number. At this point in time, I am not aware of any other 59 burst that has that serial number. I have nearly completed all 1959 LP Std serial numbers. Many have lost their original numbers so the list will NEVER be complete, but I have the most complete list to date.

Thank you Red. If the serial number will be fixed I’d like to restamp it as original number. It’s been taken more than 20 years that this burst owned my friend and the mystery of the serial is one of our top priority issue.

this is grate new for all of us!

Attachments

Yuya Asai

Reaction score

In Japanese two company of big guitar magazine publisher, they have 1982-1983 tour photo for Hole and Oates. Probably these magazines “Player” and “Guitar Magazine” may have serial number photo for GE burst. I’ll ask them and confirm it. But I think this number has been already founded by your reliable information!!!

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
Ed King's old "Redeye" 59 burst is serial number 9 0891. I believe if Ed saw your G E Smith burst many years ago and noted the serial number as 9 0851 it would have been easy for him to remember because it was so close to his guitar's number and very similar number.. Thanks for all the great photos of your lovely guitar. :welcome:

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
And good luck with the help of the two Japanese guitar magazine/book publishers. I have always loved your country's fine books and magazines. And your art, cars, cameras and pretty much everything from your fine country!!

Yuya Asai

Reaction score
And good luck with the help of the two Japanese guitar magazine/book publishers. I have always loved your country's fine books and magazines. And your art, cars, cameras and pretty much everything from your fine country!!
I restamp by your information. Thanks a lot!!

Attachments

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Thank you Red. If the serial number will be fixed I’d like to restamp it as original number. It’s been taken more than 20 years that this burst owned my friend and the mystery of the serial is one of our top priority issue.

this is grate new for all of us!
Man, these are some great pictures. I love the closeups of the finish and my jaw dropped when I saw the unfaded cherry under the poker chip.

Deftone

Reaction score
GE was her first husband if I’m not mistaken.

GE Smith is an amazing guitarist. And IIRC that's T-bone Wolk on bass. IMHO Best SNL band ever, probably the best TV band ever. Best era for SNL period.

Ridiculously awesome Les Paul. Thanks for sharing pictures.

Latest Threads