former G E Smith Burst

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
Yuxi

There is a pic of your guitar in a book called "King of Les Paul". No ser # info in book. Just the pic and mention that it is the G E Smith burst. Same guitar you now own. If the DW pickup's are stock, the serial # would likely be higher then 9 0600 where the DW pickups seem to appear in bursts but no higher then 9 3182. Hope that helps a little. But whatever the number, this is proof you own his old guitar now. :cheers:

Last edited:

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
Yuxi

Went through my pics of "known" 59 burst ser #'s. It is not a recorded ser # at this time by myself or on BurstSerial.com

If Mike Hickey or G E Smith remember, it will likely be a new # to our lists.

G E comes into town almost yearly. I will ask him if he remembers the #. But nearly 40 years have past since he sold it.

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
Through a close friend, we have gotten in touch with G E personally today! I explained Yuxi's desire to know the correct ser # for the guitar. My friend is speaking with G E right now to see if he can be of any help. Lets hope he has an old receipt for it, wrote the number down somewhere or has great recall of the correct #. I will let this forum know as soon as I hear back from my friend. Maybe G E will join a forum and let everyone know personally. Fingers crossed here!

Last edited:

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
G E has told my friend that the neck on that guitar got replaced as Yuxi had heard. But the original neck did still have the original ser # still on it. The neck was replaced by a respected luthier. So we might see if he has any old paperwork on the repair from back in the day. So the neck on it now is the replaced neck and it also suffered a headstock break!! I know who did the neck replacement here in the USA. I will keep you posted on any updates! G E is such a great guy!

Last edited:

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I suspect that neck is now repaired and on another burst...thereby claiming the number.

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
Maybe Scott. The original headstock snapped off completely from a drop. The luthier chose to build G E a new neck. As Yuxi had heard, the original fingerboard, Gibson inlay and holly wood were used on the new neck. I will ask if he rebuilt that neck later and put it on anything or if he just threw the leftovers away.

I am going to talk with the luthier in the USA on Monday and see if he has any paperwork on the repair or can remember the ser #.

sws1 did Yuxi post any pics of the ser # 9 6886 before it got changed to 9 0127? If so, can you post it here on this forum? Thanks buddy!

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Maybe Scott. The original headstock snapped off completely from a drop. The luthier chose to build G E a new neck. As Yuxi had heard, the original fingerboard, Gibson inlay and holly wood were used on the new neck. I will ask if he rebuilt that neck later and put it on anything or if he just threw the leftovers away.

I am going to talk with the luthier in the USA on Monday and see if he has any paperwork on the repair or can remember the ser #.

sws1 did Yuxi post any pics of the ser # 9 6886 before it got changed to 9 0127? If so, can you post it here on this forum? Thanks buddy!

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
Another interesting factoid about GE Smith. I caught him rushing up the stairs at a Carnegie Hall concert (classical music). The man has diverse tastes.

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
Yuxi

Your G E Smith was renecked at Rudy's in New York City by John Suhr. I checked with Rudy's to see if they had any old records of the repair. They could not find anything. I called John Suhr to ask him if he remembers the number. Never got to talk with John personally. His employee was supposed to get him the message. They never got back with me. The repair was done over 40 years ago. G E does not remember the ser # but thinks John stamped the reneck with the original ser #. I think John Suhr would be the only person to possibly have a record of the repair. But many years have passed. Good luck if John can help you! What number did you put on 9 0127 now??

Latest Threads