forget yer p90's

pnuggett

Reaction score
Shooting back to the mundane thread now.

Caretaker

Reaction score
The day of, and for 2 weeks after 911 attack in NYC, I had Fighter jets patrolling and flying right over my house every 40 minutes.
As the crow flies, I live about 8 miles from the WTC.
About 300 feet off the ground it seemed.
Shook everything.
Very scary.

Mike I

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing like the sound of a P-51 Merlin engine cranking it overhead!!

The P-51 is my all time favorite aircraft!

Pair that with some round engine fighters, and you've got an audible party overhead!

This belongs to a good friend. We take it up and buzz the surfers at Malibu!

IMG_0086.JPG
100-0082_IMG.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The P-51 was always my first love, but I have a soft spot for the P-63

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in '73 at a warbird airshow at Windsor Airport I got to sit in a Mustang ... F'n awesome! Leaning back in the seat staring down that long nose with that huge four-blade Hamilton Standard, unforgettable.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Canadian. You can go for rides in it if you have the cash. There is also a B-25 Mitchell, a Canso seaplane and a few others. They all fly out of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario.

A seat in the Lancaster costs about the same as a new Gibson standard and they give you a bit of a tax write off. Cheap !!!

Last edited:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canadian. You can go for rides in it if you have the cash. There is also a B-25 Mitchell, a Canso seaplane and a few others. They all fly out of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario.

A seat in the Lancaster costs about the same as a new Gibson standard and they give you a bit of a tax write off. Cheap !!!
When I was a kid we used to drive to Hamilton, Ont. to visit family. We'd pass a park that had a Lancaster on a pylon, is that the same one, if you know?

Dolebludger

Reaction score
A number of years, there was an antique aircraft show at a small airport just a few miles from where I lived. I was outside, I heard the sound of four bulldozers cranked. I looked up and saw a B 17 flying low over my house. What a sound and experience. I went to the show, and toured inside the B 17 (as well as. Heinkle 111) and realized that inside, they were rather like flying tractors. There was a P 51 too, but I didn’t get to climb into the cockpit. It all gave me renewed respect for the guys who flew those in combat.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
When I was a kid we used to drive to Hamilton, Ont. to visit family. We'd pass a park that had a Lancaster on a pylon, is that the same one, if you know?
Haha yep. It was outside a legion in Goderich, Ontario. Before they restored it and got it flying it was known as Ontario's biggest birdsnest. All of our parks used to have old WWII stuff though. The little town i grew up in had 2 AA guns we kids played shoot down the nazis on.