For those with kids (drug related)

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
That's sales, and that dude was broke, and had no place in buying.

Jock willink, says you're responsible for EVERYTHING.

In this case (not ball breaking) you hadnt set it up, up front cash only AND hadnt qualified him/ to be able to follow through with the sale. Again, I'm not being a dick and you're NOT wrong, but using this as an example, from jocko's POV..

Sales are always something, huh?
Sales is the best worst job you will ever have. Guy could easily afford the merchandise. Just got cold feet. Legally he has 3 days to cancel....I waited 7 days before cashing his check. I did however order and pay for his merchandise out of my own pocket before cashing his check. ANYONE can have something happen, this guy was just an ass.

Hamtone

Reaction score
Sales is the best worst job you will ever have. Guy could easily afford the merchandise. Just got cold feet. Legally he has 3 days to cancel....I waited 7 days before cashing his check. I did however order and pay for his merchandise out of my own pocket before cashing his check. ANYONE can have something happen, this guy was just an ass.
Btw, I want to reiterate, I wasnt breaking your balls, just pointing out another view point.

Jocko Willink Extreme Ownership is a great book.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
How about a 15% re-stocking charge?
:naughty:

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
How about a 15% re-stocking charge?
:naughty:
I have not completely decided what I am doing yet. I could legally just drop off his merchandise...but the satisfaction I would get would be short lived because he would ruin my business in the community. He knows he can do that so he is using that for leverage. Like I said just an ass.... and believe it or not this is an amish guy. So no matter who is right or wrong, in that community I am wrong.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Now.....on a good note I have merchandise here that the next sale all goes in my pocket. But I swear I wanted to hit him so bad. Especially when he tried to act like I had done something wrong...... He said he would pay shipping...... I may just do that. He will NOT be happy.this stuff is HEAVY..... But in reality I will just send his money back to him. I MIGHT send a letter along with it and explain how unchristian like his actions and attitude were. And how HE backed out of a deal........hell I don't know yet. I am NOT sending anything though until his check 100% clears. Then I am gonna mail him a business check.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I have not completely decided what I am doing yet. I could legally just drop off his merchandise...but the satisfaction I would get would be short lived because he would ruin my business in the community. He knows he can do that so he is using that for leverage. Like I said just an ass.... and believe it or not this is an amish guy. So no matter who is right or wrong, in that community I am wrong.
I was mostly kidding.
Regarding assholes, most of the time we're better to just cross it off and forget.
Not spending energy on stuff like that is our profit towards happiness.

Don't impose negative energy on yourself.
Let it go and move on to "good energy".
:thumb:

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
There is (was) a motivational speaker named zig ziglar. He made statement that when you go looking for gold you have to move tons of dirt BUT you don't go looking for the dirt. You guys are right, I believe there is much more good than bad but we don't complain about the good.......an example, I sold 3 sets of cookware earlier and went to deliver them today. One guy paid with a check he asked me to hold until today so I did . I ordered and paid for his merchandise so I could do the deliveries all in one trip. I got to his house this morning and he refused the merchandise. His LEGAL right to cancel has came and gone but he knows that as a salesman I have to do whatever I can to make him happy. So now I have to wait for his check to clear and send him his money back and the entire time the guy treated me like I did something wrong. Had he been apologetic and had an actual issue I would have gladly taken care of it. Instead he said if I didnt give his money back he was gonna be an unhappy customer. I got mad and asked him how he was gonna be mad at me? Indid everything exactly like I said I would. I did not back out after shaking hands....I did not wait a week then change my mind so how am I at fault. Guy was a complete asshole............other 2 deliveries happy as clams........ the bad will always get more attention unfortunately.
I'm going to play devil's advocate here Steve. Quoting your post
"I sold 3 sets of cookware earlier and went to deliver them today. One guy paid with a check he asked me to hold until today so I did . I ordered and paid for his merchandise so I could do the deliveries all in one trip".

I'm in sales too. After 27 years at the same place, and the majority of those years top 5 in customer satisfaction, I have to say, ya kinda set yourself up for this. Was the guy a jerk, yes, but only because you enabled him, partially for your own convenience.

He didn't ask for you to do what you did by fronting the merch. He asked you to hold his check....so, you should have held the check. It's one thing to try and make people happy, that's fine, but, there are policies in place in most places and enforcing them is not being a "bad guy".

I have the freedom here to take personal checks. If I do, and it bounces, it's on me. We are SUPPOSED to get certified funds for large amounts, but, if it's a customer I've done business with for a long time, I'll take the chance....but when I do, I do it knowing full well it's on me. I've had fresh customers get a little whiney about having to go to the bank for a certified check, but "oh yes Mr./Mrs. customer, I totally understand it's an inconvenience, and I apologize, but, it's our company policy, please don't shoot the messenger".

Whenever you play nice guy in sales with funds/merch, you have to realize and expect the worst, and be willing to fully accept the outcome. Sounds like you can sell the merch and not really lose out on anything except the time delay to get your money back. I wouldn't do or say anything to the guy....he didn't do anything you didn't enable him to do, and from what I read, he didn't ask you to order the stuff with your own money.

Being a nice guy is a great thing to do, and I try and do that when I can, but I'm not going to let it cost me any money. There is also the fact that there are some people that simply aren't worth doing business with. Skip this guy next time around. He sounds like one.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I'm going to play devil's advocate here Steve. Quoting your post
"I sold 3 sets of cookware earlier and went to deliver them today. One guy paid with a check he asked me to hold until today so I did . I ordered and paid for his merchandise so I could do the deliveries all in one trip".

I'm in sales too. After 27 years at the same place, and the majority of those years top 5 in customer satisfaction, I have to say, ya kinda set yourself up for this. Was the guy a jerk, yes, but only because you enabled him, partially for your own convenience.

He didn't ask for you to do what you did by fronting the merch. He asked you to hold his check....so, you should have held the check. It's one thing to try and make people happy, that's fine, but, there are policies in place in most places and enforcing them is not being a "bad guy".

I have the freedom here to take personal checks. If I do, and it bounces, it's on me. We are SUPPOSED to get certified funds for large amounts, but, if it's a customer I've done business with for a long time, I'll take the chance....but when I do, I do it knowing full well it's on me. I've had fresh customers get a little whiney about having to go to the bank for a certified check, but "oh yes Mr./Mrs. customer, I totally understand it's an inconvenience, and I apologize, but, it's our company policy, please don't shoot the messenger".

Whenever you play nice guy in sales with funds/merch, you have to realize and expect the worst, and be willing to fully accept the outcome. Sounds like you can sell the merch and not really lose out on anything except the time delay to get your money back. I wouldn't do or say anything to the guy....he didn't do anything you didn't enable him to do, and from what I read, he didn't ask you to order the stuff with your own money.

Being a nice guy is a great thing to do, and I try and do that when I can, but I'm not going to let it cost me any money. There is also the fact that there are some people that simply aren't worth doing business with. Skip this guy next time around. He sounds like one.
I wish I could argue with this but I can't. I will send his money back..no note no deduction for shipping. just send it back and be done with it. it always seems that the more religious the person is, the more they treat me like shit. CONSISTENTLY over the years Angie and I have gotten treated the worst by various church groups. The Amish are odd. as long as they are buying they are aggressive but friendly.. when they try to change the deal after the fact ( LOT of them do) they get very demure and quiet and act like a victim. it is a tactic BUT from some of the stories I have heard about salesmen and they way they treat the amish it is no wonder. I have began telling them up front that I realize I have 2 strikes against me off the bat.. #1 I am a salesman and #2 I am not amish so I realize you guys are waiting for me to do something crooked. I tell em how long I have been in the business and where I live ( close by) and you can see them physically relax.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish I could argue with this but I can't. I will send his money back..no note no deduction for shipping. just send it back and be done with it. it always seems that the more religious the person is, the more they treat me like shit. CONSISTENTLY over the years Angie and I have gotten treated the worst by various church groups. The Amish are odd. as long as they are buying they are aggressive but friendly.. when they try to change the deal after the fact ( LOT of them do) they get very demure and quiet and act like a victim. it is a tactic BUT from some of the stories I have heard about salesmen and they way they treat the amish it is no wonder. I have began telling them up front that I realize I have 2 strikes against me off the bat.. #1 I am a salesman and #2 I am not amish so I realize you guys are waiting for me to do something crooked. I tell em how long I have been in the business and where I live ( close by) and you can see them physically relax.
I'm sure that is quite different dealing with a unique culture like that. Putting them at ease has got to be a pretty big first hurdle. It's too bad they respond like that....it seems like they should have a real appreciation for you by being a straight up guy. Like I said....some people are truly not worth selling. In my business, it's rare, but believe me, it still happens.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I'm sure that is quite different dealing with a unique culture like that. Putting them at ease has got to be a pretty big first hurdle. It's too bad they respond like that....it seems like they should have a real appreciation for you by being a straight up guy. Like I said....some people are truly not worth selling. In my business, it's rare, but believe me, it still happens.
Unique does not begin to cover it.....in a completely different subject. I have ran into two 28 or 29 year old women that were just stunningly good looking...both not married. I asked my wife if we could bring one of em home with us..... she does not appreciate my sense of humor.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Unique does not begin to cover it.....in a completely different subject. I have ran into two 28 or 29 year old women that were just stunningly good looking...both not married. I asked my wife if we could bring one of em home with us..... she does not appreciate my sense of humor.
You could help the "plow the field". lol

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Wow..... came home tonight to a voice message from the amish guy apologizing. Said he thought I did not leave a contact # and once we had our conversation he went home and looked and everything was EXACTLY like I said. Told me he could not buy now but he was sorry for the way he handled things.

defcrew

Reaction score
Sincere apologies are rare. You gotta give him a tip of the hat for that anyway.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Premium Member
Reaction score
What kinda pots and pans here? I cook. I like cookware. :)

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Buy some All-Clad or Calphalon. :) I'm not a fan of MLM businesses.
We use all Calphalon. Always looking for better stuff. Starting to wear out the big ass deep pan.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Buy some All-Clad or Calphalon. :) I'm not a fan of MLM businesses.
I buy directly from the company.....just like walmart buys directly from whomever makes celphalon.

Latest Threads