For those who wanna go all the way.

Kirk Dahnke

Reaction score
This guy is super anal but breaks down in great detail how to get your LP to truly sound vintage. There are four parts to this series and he's a slow speaker but its cool to see how little things mean a lot. Even if you only do one of his mods its good info to help make a decision on what to buy.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure this guy was my 9th grade Accounting teacher.

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...
I hate videos like this. I am guessing someone could summarize the 20+ min video into a few sentences?

Emiel

Reaction score
I hate videos like this. I am guessing someone could summarize the 20+ min video into a few sentences?
Try setting it at 1,5x speed!

He's basically saying that many modern Les Paul replica's have hardware parts that are mostly made from the wrong materials. He's showing how important it is to have the 'right' materials when going for that vintage tone:

Bridge: zamak/zamac
Bridge thumbwheels: brass
Bridge studs: brass
Tailpiece: lightweight aluminium
Tailpiece studs: steel
Tailpiece bushings: steel

Interesting to note is that my old Tokais have the order of materials reversed...the bridge thumbwheels/studs are made from steel and the tailpiece studs and bushings from brass. I changed this on a 1980 LS80 and it definitely moves the frequencies quite a bit.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dave is a very nice guy who makes some of the best PAF repros on the planet. He is always willing to answer questions and loves to geek out about all things Burst, as evidenced by his videos. His conclusions are sometimes up for debate and he presents them strongly, but as you can see he also does his best to back them up with evidence.

Having made all these mods with vintage parts to a modern Historic myself (thread here), I can attest that they do make a difference in tone.

Last edited:

Kirk Dahnke

Reaction score
Dave is a very nice guy who makes some of the best PAF repros on the planet. He is always willing to answer questions and loves to geek out about all things Burst, as evidenced by his videos. His conclusions are sometimes up for debate and he presents them strongly, but as you can see he also does his best to back them up with evidence.

Having made all these mods with vintage parts to a modern Historic myself (thread here), I can attest that they do make a difference in tone.

Yeah, I think he's awesome. Whenever its time to upgrade I'm going to refer to his videos.

Latest Threads