For those who have ordered from the Gibson CS

markguitar

Reaction score
Nothing from the past pertains to how the Custom Shop is currently operating. 8-12 months minimum. ONLY pre-sold guitars have been being made for the last year and they are still backordered by over 2000 guitars. No serial numbers are reserved unless they decide to reserve for a special run. Stores that don’t have guitars on order, could be waiting a year or more before there is any available inventory to choose from. The days of dealers receiving pictures of available guitars is gone for now.

gtrjoe

Reaction score
Five years ago my first CS order from Dave's took 8 months. Last week I placed an order through Dave's; '57 RI w Candy Apple Red top, normal brown back (nothing too crazy) - Dave told me it will be 12 months - all Covid related....Good things come to those who wait.

Last edited:

Cory

Reaction score
I am wondering what the lead time was. Granted, post-covid may have turned everything on its ear and lengthened/doubled turnaround, but I was wondering how long it typically takes.

i have a mid-march (2023) anniversary I’d like to commemorate. I’s love it if the guitar could be built that day, and not worried (obviously) if it reaches me some time later.

What so you think? Is 18+ months and/or a specific date of mfg request a pipe dream for them to accommodate?
Mark from “Marks guitar loft” told me a few weeks ago that the custom shop is currently 17 months behind schedule - I can only assume that made to measure/custom order is going on the back end of that - I would have a really hard time waiting a year and a half (or more) for a guitar - you might as well buy one and send it to Kim at historic makeovers at that point and probably have it back in a few months.

v-man

Reaction score
Mark from “Marks guitar loft” told me a few weeks ago that the custom shop is currently 17 months behind schedule - I can only assume that made to measure/custom order is going on the back end of that - I would have a really hard time waiting a year and a half (or more) for a guitar - you might as well buy one and send it to Kim at historic makeovers at that point and probably have it back in a few months.
Looks like this idea’s a bust then. It was to celebrate 25 years continuous sobriety... something that happens once in a lifetime, if at all. Well, acceptance and all that shit, I suppose.

DanD

Reaction score
My CR7 7001 was ordered in '17 and not completed until into '18. I'd say 12 months plus.

You'd think Gibson would be promoting some USA employees to Custom.

No reason to have such a backlog for M2M.

But as already stated, Gibson is probably concentrating on existing dealer orders.

1 (or a handful) M2M(s) is not equivalent to keeping your existing dealers stocked with product.

zdoggie

Reaction score
I probably not order and spec. out a guitar from gibson that is way too long to wait in the past I've been pretty lucky ,buy ing off reverb and musicians friend and have gotten instruments that play really well tone is a another bag of cats thank heavens for thro bak !!!

zdog

Cory

Reaction score
Looks like this idea’s a bust then. It was to celebrate 25 years continuous sobriety... something that happens once in a lifetime, if at all. Well, acceptance and all that shit, I suppose.
Congrats on your continued sobriety man - certainly worthy of a big celebration - what are you trying to spec out that you can’t get from a “standard” custom shop LP?

v-man

Reaction score
Congrats on your continued sobriety man - certainly worthy of a big celebration - what are you trying to spec out that you can’t get from a “standard” custom shop LP?
TY! I mean, I haven’t crossed that goalpost yet, but I was thinking of doing a 70sV (REAL 70s spec) with some appointments that were done one year/run only for Year “X” here, and Year “Y” there. I even considered adding a silver medallion to pay homage to the 71 Medallions, sobriety chips and a Silver anniversary.

EDIT: I should also add that IF true 70s spec (thin nut width, slim taper ‘70s profile neck, fretboard protruding 3/8” above the body) then about 85% of the itch is scratched. I missed out on the ‘13-‘14 VOS 70s and tbe jackass at long mcquaid insisted the 2015 Japans were rosewood (CITES verboten then) when they were granadillo (sp?) as I pointed out. So, third time’s a...well hell.

Last edited:

goldtop0

Reaction score
Nothing from the past pertains to how the Custom Shop is currently operating. 8-12 months minimum. ONLY pre-sold guitars have been being made for the last year and they are still backordered by over 2000 guitars. No serial numbers are reserved unless they decide to reserve for a special run. Stores that don’t have guitars on order, could be waiting a year or more before there is any available inventory to choose from. The days of dealers receiving pictures of available guitars is gone for now.

Thanks for this Mark, as for dealer M2Ms it looks as though these are still in the mix if ordered prior to June '20 ......it'll be a while for orders sent after that given the 2000 plus on backorder.
A relative boom time for Gibson.........and also their workers as I see it .
However, it'd be good to get the CS perspective on this whole last year covid scenario....... a subjective update on how this has affected them, the pros and the cons of it.

Last edited:

Latest Threads