For those who have ordered from the Gibson CS

v-man

Reaction score
I am wondering what the lead time was. Granted, post-covid may have turned everything on its ear and lengthened/doubled turnaround, but I was wondering how long it typically takes.

i have a mid-march (2023) anniversary I’d like to commemorate. I’s love it if the guitar could be built that day, and not worried (obviously) if it reaches me some time later.

What so you think? Is 18+ months and/or a specific date of mfg request a pipe dream for them to accommodate?

ARandall

Reaction score
Guitars don't get built in a day. There might be 1 or 2 steps of 100+ that happens on any given day.
Typically I'd expect a CS guitar to be a few months from go to whoa.

So what particular step do you want done on the special day??? Fretboard inlay, grainfill? neck glued in??

Last edited:

geddy

Reaction score
I tried out a few CS LPs at Andertons a few weeks ago. The estimate given for a build to my specs was a likely wait of 12 months plus. But Gibson are notorious for unreliable delivery schedules.

indeedido

Reaction score
I ordered a custom shop SG last year. I spec'd it and placed my order one week before the country shut down. February I think. At that time it was supposed to take 6 months. But then the plant and the country shutdown. Long story short I'm still waiting. I checked this week and it is in final assembly. They are so far behind still. Hopefully final assembly doesn't take much longer.

One note I'll add, check around on pricing. I got an estimate from 3 of the top shops and Music Zoo beat them by a grand.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive been curious about this for a while now,in that how do you even order a guitar from the Gibson Custom Shop?? Like when you see the Made to measure guitars, or like the OP asked,in that simply having a guitar built to my specs ?

Tim Plains

Reaction score
6-8 months before covid. I think they'll be back to normal by 2023 but you won't get your specific build date.

how do you even order a guitar from the Gibson Custom Shop??
Like anything else, order through a dealer.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When i enquired at peach guitars in UK, they said quotes were taking about 6 weeks to come back for m2m, and last data they had (this is a month ago) was 6 month wait for build. I hit lucky and found one in the uk in store. So didn't need to order one from gibson as coda had the m2m in stock, they have great taste i must say,

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do these lead times refer to custom builds, or to "production" CS models like the R4/R6/R9 etc....?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do these lead times refer to custom builds, or to "production" CS models like the R4/R6/R9 etc....?
I asked about a m2m 54 goldtop with ultralight aging which is not part of murphy lab line. So a custom version finished of an available guitar which now i think about it, is ridiculous that it could take 6 moths,

v-man

Reaction score
Guitars don't get built in a day. There might be 1 or 2 steps of 100+ that happens on any given day.
Typically I'd expect a CS guitar to be a few months from go to whoa.

So what particular step do you want done on the special day??? Fretboard inlay, grainfill? neck glued in??
What I would want is the S/N stamp process on the date. Assuming Gibson’s last known Date code (to me): YDDDYBBBB (year, day 001-365, batch # 0001-1000) so “2DDD30025” where DDD was the numeric day of my anniversary and the day they stamped that. Given a CS designation, I wager they could Stamp WTF I want with a CS XXX... SN, but they likely would not do the SN that day or truly have that the 25th guitar as requested. I could take some solace that on the anniversary day (hopefully) something happened, i.e. neck was set or inlays were dropped but yeah... the pipe dream that isn’t exactly a deal breaker (esp w my laundry list of wants and needs).

I ordered a custom shop SG last year. I spec'd it and placed my order one week before the country shut down. February I think. At that time it was supposed to take 6 months. But then the plant and the country shutdown. Long story short I'm still waiting. I checked this week and it is in final assembly. They are so far behind still. Hopefully final assembly doesn't take much longer.

One note I'll add, check around on pricing. I got an estimate from 3 of the top shops and Music Zoo beat them by a grand.
Great suggestion. Music Zoo topped my list. What others would you suggest?

v-man

Reaction score
Btw, on M2M, does anybody know how unorthodox you can get?

for example, Req Super 74, Joe Bs, Iommis or other Unavailable/out of production modern pup.

also Hardware requests like 3rd party TOM set or Klusson Revolution G locking instead of standard Klussons or Grovers?

goldtop0

Reaction score
Btw, on M2M, does anybody know how unorthodox you can get?

for example, Req Super 74, Joe Bs, Iommis or other Unavailable/out of production modern pup.

also Hardware requests like 3rd party TOM set or Klusson Revolution G locking instead of standard Klussons or Grovers?

Submit all that stuff through your dealer and see how you go..........it's either a yea or nay.

dspelman

Reaction score
I am wondering what the lead time was. Granted, post-covid may have turned everything on its ear and lengthened/doubled turnaround, but I was wondering how long it typically takes.

i have a mid-march (2023) anniversary I’d like to commemorate. I’s love it if the guitar could be built that day, and not worried (obviously) if it reaches me some time later.

What so you think? Is 18+ months and/or a specific date of mfg request a pipe dream for them to accommodate?
It depends. I ordered a guitar from the Custom Shop some years back and I was quoted a 5-7 month turnaround time. Dunno what it might be today. OTOH, I ordered a guitar from Agile's custom shop and was told it would be about four months (it was actually three). And when I ordered a guitar from Carvin (now Kiesel), I was told 4-6 weeks. Both Agile and Carvin delivered in under their estimated arrival times. So there's no "typical." Ask.

indeedido

Reaction score
What I would want is the S/N stamp process on the date. Assuming Gibson’s last known Date code (to me): YDDDYBBBB (year, day 001-365, batch # 0001-1000) so “2DDD30025” where DDD was the numeric day of my anniversary and the day they stamped that. Given a CS designation, I wager they could Stamp WTF I want with a CS XXX... SN, but they likely would not do the SN that day or truly have that the 25th guitar as requested. I could take some solace that on the anniversary day (hopefully) something happened, i.e. neck was set or inlays were dropped but yeah... the pipe dream that isn’t exactly a deal breaker (esp w my laundry list of wants and needs).

Great suggestion. Music Zoo topped my list. What others would you suggest?
I checked Chicago Music Exchange, Music Zoo, and Dave's. I should have checked House of Guitars but I was happy with the Zoo.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A warranty re-build took 6-8 weeks .....but again in 2014 or 2015....I was pretty pleased with the turn around time.

v-man

Reaction score
Frankly, I think the purchase for the anniversary for which it commemorates should be delivered within the year of the anniversary... Otherwise it just makes sense to have a garden-variety custom shop order rather than a commemorative piece. The anniversary is first quarter 2023 so third or even fourth quarter would be tolerable but mid-24 for example would seem to defeat the purpose.

That said, I don’t mind it being stretched out closer towards the outer edges of what works for me as that’s just longer to save up the remaining balance.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I believe you can reserve a serial number ahead of time and they'll save it for your build regardless of how long it takes. I seem to recall @cnote did that with a M2M back in 2010.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ That would be the only way forward really. There's just not enough certainty with industry in general to be able to predict how things are going to be able to get back into regular production.

Latest Threads