For those that really want to know about fat loss

Hamtone

Reaction score
I hadnt trained for about a year and finally got back into my usual training routine. My starting weight was 232 lbs (im 6' 3") and I have have managed to maintained a certain amount of muscle. So when I look at Jason Alexander on the those jc commercials saying he needs to loose 25 lbs I :laugh2::laugh2: because by all accounts in todays world Im considered thin to average.

In a week I have dropped about 4 lbs, I would say that 2 of which is probably a water shift and the other in brown fat. How do I do it? Do I starve myself or take all of the carbs out of my diet? Ummm hardly Do I cut all of the fat out of my diet and eat vegan? Definitely not.

The real trick, the trick that "they" dont want you to know is quite simple. Your calories (assuming they are clean not not junk food) should stay the same or go up (I am not speaking about those who are severely obese) These are the people I refer to as skinny fat, or at worst chunky.

Great example is, I haven't trained in about a year my diet was full of pizza ice cream and bull sh*t but my overall weekly average of calories was far short of what i needed, so the body in starvation mode holds fat and muscle atrophies and cortisol increases estrogen goes up and it become cyclical.

The solution:

1. square your diet away eat clean and learn what your body will require for the program you choose.
2. Out line your program
3. develop your schedule
4. track your progress

Ok, here is how it breaks down for me. As I said earlier I am 35 years old 6'3" 228 lbs. My caloric needs to sustain my body weight is 2500 calories per day.

The workout programs that i use now for ease and convenience is p90x and insanity. Each one of the workouts form either one of these programs burns about 600 calories per work out.

Me being the sick bastard that I am, I like to start my day with a "cardio" sort of workout so insanity is how I wake up and start my day. Then in the evenings (m/w/f) I lift from one of the p90x videos. The weekends as a whole are just one workout and i kind of take easy and just do some speed bag and heavy bag drills for about 30 minutes.

So to average my weekly work output versus my food. There are days where I am burning 1200 calories just from workouts and other days where Im only burning about 600. I average my daily caloric needs to be about 3500 broken down with 40% pro 40% carb and 20% fat. no sugar nothing out of a box or prepared.

so with this way of "dieting" Im working out at 110% of max all the time allowing me to burn those 1200 calories, which puts me at about a 200 deficit. You might be saying 200 cals thats it? Well fat is 3500 calories so that is about half a pound per week again doesnt sound like much, but im just getting to the good part. Because most of my attacks on my workouts involve such high output my body dips into fat stores to fuel workout more easily, and because of the higher calories I in turn can work harder and longer than I could if I cut my calories down to lets say 2000. Because of the type of workouts I do (like sprinting) you burn fat if you have supplied yourself the correct amount of calories.

Every workout should be approached at 110% short or almost no rest time between sets, when you are moving on a bike or running you should be go as hard and as fast as you can and keep your rest periods short.

I have used this system of training for many years and it is far superior than to starve myself. The key is you have to work, not gawk around the gym or take a couple minutes between exercises, it is all go never quit.

I will be back down to about 200lbs at about 10% before thanks giving. Thats a goal but it is realistic for me.

So to recap (assuming you didnt fall asleep)

1. eat calories that match your workout schedule and not cut calories to make up for a lack of work output
2. Train hard keep a log and always try to surpass your best up till now.
3. Eat clean dont drink and get your sleep/

I wont bore you with the other myths and bs that is often spoken about. If you are just over weight you can do this program and your heart and lungs and body will thank you, if you are already in pretty fair shape do this and you will blow away your overall expectations of what you can achieve.

Lampens

Reaction score
Man, all this thinking about food makes my head hurt. Fatties should just move their fat ass more. Nothing too it. Just physical. All this dieting shit is a load of crap. Stay of the mc d's and homemade pizza shit more and get your fat ass in gear. The rest only matters if you want a muscle toned beach body or if you are going for competitive sports where the results matter. To stay healthy, just ease of the junk food and go easy on the sugars and ride a bike instead of your car.

Agave_Blue

Reaction score
.... My starting weight was 232 lbs (im 6' 3") and I have have managed to maintained a certain amount of muscle. So when I look at Jason Alexander on the those jc commercials saying he needs to loose 25 lbs I :laugh2::laugh2: because by all accounts in todays world Im considered thin to average.

Nice. Some well made points on the balance of diet and excercise.

The only thing I'd question is your initial assertion that you're "thin to average". Compared to the population, yes, I could see that.

But compared to a "healthy weight", I don't think so.

.... Ideal Weight Calculation:

Results:
According to your height of 6' 3" your ideal healthy weight is 179 pounds. Your recommended weight range is between 159 and 199 pounds.

This was calculated using Hamwi formula, a simple formula commonly used by many clinicians.

There are of course many other calculators and various factors involved, but in general they'll be similar in weight range give or take a few pounds.

OTOH - your 200 lb target seems right in line with a recommended "healthy weight".

Hamtone

Reaction score
"healthy weight" doesnt take into consideration muscle mass. Visually I dont look heavy I look "average" and most people wouldn't guess Im as heavy as I am.

Even being out of shape Im still carrying about 185 lbs of lean mass, getting to their 179 would be a challenge..lol

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Definitely some good tips. I need to really get back into eating healthy and being more active.

Lampens

Reaction score
Muscle is heavier then fat. I had a colleague. Sporty boy, all muscle. he did this calculation to find out his bmi. According to that he was too heavy. he went batshit crazy. "that's impossible, I'm not too fat." Body weight isn't saying much by itself. Muscle mass by itself helps you get rid of fat too because the more muscle you have the more energy you need to sustain it. Fat people should lay of the unnecessary fat intake and get their ass moving.

Lampens

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I offended somebody, but sometimes people need offending. Al this diet type stuff is just giving people an excuse for not moving. And just lowering the intake like hamtone mentioned is making your body go in fat store mode. the opposite of what you want to achieve. And the fat that you do lose will get back as soon as you start eating more again and the body goes, "allrighty then, that there big mac goes into the warehouse on your freakin ass."

Hamtone

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I offended somebody, but sometimes people need offending. Al this diet type stuff is just giving people an excuse for not moving. And just lowering the intake like hamtone mentioned is making your body go in fat store mode. the opposite of what you want to achieve. And the fat that you do lose will get back as soon as you start eating more again and the body goes, "allrighty then, that there big mac goes into the warehouse on your freakin ass."

truth same with a non fat diet, very bad for hormones and fat loss.

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ithe body goes, "allrighty then, that there big mac goes into the warehouse on your freakin ass."

Mine's been saying that a lot lately, except it's not my ass. My ass is quite nice. It's the stomach and the manboobs that are the issues. :laugh2::laugh2::thumb:

Agave_Blue

Reaction score
"healthy weight" doesnt take into consideration muscle mass. Visually I dont look heavy I look "average" and most people wouldn't guess Im as heavy as I am.

Even being out of shape Im still carrying about 185 lbs of lean mass, getting to their 179 would be a challenge..lol

:thumb:

Hamtone

Reaction score

I have been as heavy as 252 and I will never go there again. Even know I was strong as hell I couldnt last long enough doing the right things to drop the fat, it was a long road:shock:

Engel

Reaction score
There was a p90x MLP workout thread somewhere around here. I just started doing insanity, it's my first week and it's rough. I used to keep in decent shape with circuit training and running two miles every day but lately I have been slacking off until now. My struggle is with eating right. I love eating junk food that's bad for you. It's so good. If I calorie count and cut beef out of my diet I will probably lose about 10 lbs in a couple months.

Here's the thread:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/99165-i-just-got-p90x-mail-today-2.html#post1963725

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When you do it you shouldn't set high goals, but a series of small ones.

It helps the psychological aspect.

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
Oh and one thing that helped me shed a few pounds is quit drinking "pop" or "soda". It REALLY helped me. Just look at my youtube videos. From my first one to the most recent ones. Ive lost a ton of weight.

Chicago John

Reaction score
Hey Hamtone, I remember seeing the infomercial for P90x and I thought to myself- "Well, I'm sure I'll drop dead if I try that" :laugh2: Lots of respect for doing that workout... I'd like to work up to that... one day :laugh2:

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
We're eating much heathier and I'm trying to move around more... The metabolism that kept me razor thin my whole life while eating anything I wanted finally said f*ck it, I'm tired of your shit. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: Just recently too! I ain't havin' that, so I'll do what I have to do.

And yeah, soda, beer, junk... All that has to go.

Latest Threads