For the players who removed their custom buckers...

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
THIS. Usually its not that the stock pick ups are bad......I just like Betterer. (I spelled that correctly:fingersx:) To me 1/2 the fun with getting a new guitar is modding it. Thats why I favor bolt ons. But I have taken sand paper to a LP neck before. This last LP Classic I just bought is the first LP I might leave totally stock. Its actually pretty damn good.

I know exactly what you mean....

I already took micro mesh to the back of the neck of the 59....

I used to change out pickups at the drop of a hat

Bluesky

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean....

I already took micro mesh to the back of the neck of the 59....

I used to change out pickups at the drop of a hat
I think Gibson heard loud and clear.....lots of options out there.........and made a better product. :thumbs:

swampblues

Reaction score
I loved mine in my 16 R8. About a week after I got my 19 R9 I pulled them out fast as I could. To me thru the same Soldano I played my R8 thru they sounded flat and muddy on the neck and shrill on the bridge. I adjusted poles ,height and added a set of real vintage bumble bee‘s to no avail. Bought a set of Throbaks Changed pots and left bee’s in and never looked back. Like a total new sounding guitar. Sweeeeet. The only thing I don’t like is the sticky neck after 20 minutes of playing. Part of living in Hot Louisiana I guess

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Old thread I know, but I will chime in... the CBs are some of Gibson‘s best attempts at the PAF sound since the originals. BUT... there are aftermarket/boutique pickups that are even better.

The main reason I swapped mine out though is because I like a little bit ballsier PAF tone (like you hear from some—not all—original 58-60 Bursts) and the CBs aren’t particularly ballsy IME/IMO. So there’s a particular type of more aggressive a PAF tone that I prefer and am chasing, and the CBs, to my ear, don’t offer that—at least not the ones that have come in the RIs I’ve owned (4 so far).

The CBs that came in my 2018 Royal Teaburst R8 are probably the best I’ve had and have this neat nasally and honk to them (which I very much like) and I was tempted to leave them, but decided to try some other options. I went through a few boutiques, the most noteworthy of which were probably the RS Guitarworks/Lindy Fralin True 60s. Those were the honkiest I’ve ever heard outside of a real PAF and I highly recommend them if that’s what you’re after and have the cabbage (i.e., they ain’t cheap). But as honky as they were, they did lack that certain bark/growl that I seem to always be searching for. That‘s when I buddy of mine loaned me his set of Brandonwound 59 Clones which, as it turns out, were the perfect blend of honk and growl I was looking for... and I begged him to sell them to me (which, thankfully, he did! :)). They’ve been in that guitar for about a year or so now and still wow me when I plug it in (some guitars and pickups just “fit” each other). That said, I have been tempted lately (because I am an inveterate tone chaser) to try a set of Custom Shop Pearly Gates OR a set of the new Cream T Whisker Buckers... so we’ll see what happens next. :)

uncle mud

Reaction score
Custombuckers are very articulate, however, they don't have enough depth for me. I prefer an unpotted alnico II in my historics.

fretboarder

Reaction score
I love set thats in my new R8 probs the best sounding set of humbuckers ive had in a guitar.. surely the guitar sounded great to you in the first place if you bought it.. swappin pickups in and out of guitars can be nothing but a huge expensive waste of time!

uncle mud

Reaction score
My '13 R9 bridge is a tad on the bright side. Not brittle and definitely tamable with the amp. It took me a little while to dial it in, but I really like it. And, the definition and clarity are superb!

That said, I have a set of Shaws from my '81 LPC that I've been toying with dropping in there, just for shits.
I would definitely try the Shaws!

ACEit

Reaction score
CB on my 2016 r8 are the best of ALL my humbucker....
I mean... in THAT guitar they are awesome ... I have many other set on other LPs.. SG.... Prs.... the one that is NEAR the CB is a set of BK mules... in some ways they are even better... but "overall" CB are still more versatile.... eg... mules are bit superior when overdrived, but the cleans on CB are just spot on....and overdrived they are not bad at all.....
I have also ox4 medium, two sets of BK black dog ... and they sound completely different in the same guitar, so you can't count on a model/sound uniformity.... I have also some SD jazz/jb.... quite good in my prs....and in an old japanese lp replica a set of di marzio air classic/air norton..... CB are still my reference...

Latest Threads