For the love of Seth

dcurran87

Reaction score
Over the past couple of years I've tinkered with my 2016 LP studio faded, partly for the experience but also just to try out different pickups etc.

I've pulled the PCB and replaced with a nice custom 50's wiring harness from Axesrus in the UK and then swapped the BBpro's to a 57/57+ Classic combo (zebra). With this change everything looked great...but didn't sound as good as I hoped. The neck 57 was an improvement but I preferred the BBpro bridge which had alot more bite to it.

Anyway, a set of SD Seth Lovers came up locally for sale and I got them for £120 posted. The original owner bad removed the covers and was lucky enough to have zebra bobbins underneath which was pretty cool.

I installed these yesterday and they have made a HUGE difference to this guitar. Both positions have the bite and crunch I've been after for some time. They are really responsive to EQ/vol/tone tweaks and you can get really amazing pick attack variations even at low volume. It's totally transformed how I play this guitar and i can hardly put it down!

I also noticed the middle position sounded really different...very honky and almost wah like, so I messaged the original owner to see if he did had flipped a mag at some point to have the out of phase middle position and he confirmed he had. Although there's a definite dip in volume with this, it creates such an interesting tone. I never really had much love for the mid position on dual humbucker guitars...but now I do! I'd 100% recommend these pups to anyone wanting more classic crunch and life to their tone, maybe I had a dud set of 57's but these SD's are in a different league.

Anyway, that's my fun project for the weekend. Hope you're all having a good one!

Baseballhack

Reaction score
I recently acquired a LP which had Seth Lover pickups in it. Just like you I love the tones coming out of these pickups. Glad you found the tone you were looking for.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Les Paul Classic that's had Seth Lovers in for about 4 years and yes, they are what this guitar needed. No mud from the neck when adjusted for height and the bridge while not overpowering, has a touch of honk to it. I never flipped magnets and really don't have to with Seths. The middle position while not reminding me of Jimmy Page, nevertheless can get some varied tones from thicker to thinner just by using the guitar's controls. I'm a convert to using lower wound pickups such as these and match them with a more powerful amp design.....in my case an Orange Dark Terror..everything from polite to downright nasty.

Classicplayer

rogue3

Reaction score
I have a Les Paul with pair('89 Standard).No question,very nice pickups.They deviate from the usual PAF offerings out there, to my ears ,more powerful.This can be a good thing if you are looking to drive the amp more.

In that lester, they don't operate the way i like,when i turn down the guitar volume. There is more mud,and a loss of highs.If i read correctly,a wiring harness change would fix this.But i don't feel the need because when i crank the guitar volume they sound awesome,with all the sparkle,crunch, and 3D texture you could want.
When i want to do hard rock...for lots of crunch,it is my go-to lester.Crank the guitar volume.Toys in the Attic type sound.

Last edited:

Low Gain

Reaction score
I don't understand why these pickups are not as popular as they should be.

IMHO, if you are looking that kind of tone they are, by far, the best option in their price range.

Congrats!

RocketKing

Reaction score
I don't understand why these pickups are not as popular as they should be.

IMHO, if you are looking that kind of tone they are, by far, the best option in their price range.

Congrats!
Probably 'cause the market is swamped with aftermarket good and high quality pick ups.
Great for us buyers :)

MSB

Reaction score
so the guy modified the pickups and didn't tell you when he sold them?

dcurran87

Reaction score
so the guy modified the pickups and didn't tell you when he sold them?
True, I'm seeing it as a pleasant surprise though. I've never modified magnets like that previously but I'm digging the middle position alot. It's like having an effects pedal hooked it and responds alot to vol/tone tweaks.