For The Love of Flame...

scozz

Reaction score
Some really gorgeous flamed LPs in this thread!

Do you guys think that a guitar has to have a color, along with the figured maple, to be considered a flame top? I am of the opinion that the flame is really in the maple, and color has nothing to do with it.

Well l’ve only got one guitar that has a maple flame top,.....but there’s no color,...and it’s a Studio! It’s Natural!

This same Studio also came with a rare flame mahogany neck and headstock!

danzego

Reaction score

Do you guys think that a guitar has to have a color, along with the figured maple, to be considered a flame top? I am of the opinion that the flame is really in the maple, and color has nothing to do with it.

Well l’ve only got one guitar that has a maple flame top,.....but there’s no color,...and it’s a Studio! It’s Natural!

It’s has nothing to do with the color. The wood is called flame maple because of the patterns in the wood itself.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s has nothing to do with the color. The wood is called flame maple because of the patterns in the wood itself.
Unless it's a Foto-Flame. I don't think Gibson ever did that. Fender did, on both US and import production, and Epiphone and other budget lines are also big on veneers.
But at least with a veneer, the figuring is still *in* the wood, despite the fact that the veneer is "on" the wood.

BKS

Reaction score
Veneer at least still has the 3D effect. I don't mind a good looking veneer on a cheaper guitar.

danzego

Reaction score
Unless it's a Foto-Flame. I don't think Gibson ever did that. Fender did, on both US and import production, and Epiphone and other budget lines are also big on veneers.
But at least with a veneer, the figuring is still *in* the wood, despite the fact that the veneer is "on" the wood.
Foto-flame isn’t even wood; it’s a picture stuck on to the guitar. I wouldn’t say that’s in the same league or even discussion. :)

Last edited:

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score

Yours is among my favorite [non gold] guitars on this site...

So awesome!

-Chris

frozenotter

?
Platinum Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Damn otter thats a sexy geetar.
Thanks you! I actually don't have that one anymore since I traded it for one similar that has an ebony board. I''ll never get that top back though. :dunno:

:cheers2:

Reactions: Rds