For Mal

Malikon

she's so heavy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I suspect music in this country is just taken for granted now.

Other countries really love, value, and respect music and the people who make it.

Americans just want free music.

..well,.. you get what you pay for.

pnuggett

Reaction score
I suspect music in this country is just taken for granted now.

Other countries really love, value, and respect music and the people who make it.

Americans just want free music.

..well,.. you get what you pay for.

Malikon

she's so heavy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the last 20 years are generic crap.

before that every decade was amazing.

pnuggett

Reaction score
the last 20 years are generic crap.

before that every decade was amazing.

I mostly agree with that for this country but I don't share your appreciation and love for that Baby Metal stuff. It's nothing new or ground breaking. To me it is also generic crap. Other countries have some talented musicians but so does this country. The music however meh.

Malikon

she's so heavy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
to each their own. I have the albums and they're pretty amazing. They touch on so many different genres but all of them are touched by aggressive metal. So it might be like techno-metal, dance-metal, death-metal, rap-metal, etc. There's a lot of diversity in sounds in the albums, but they're all good.

I just see past the girls dancing and harmonizing and listen to the music and they do some very cool stuff. A lot of Japanese bands are doing interesting stuff. But they also have a scene where people go out to the clubs looking for new bands and new music. They have an outdoor kind of culture, people go out to eat and hear music. We used to do that here but now not so much.

And not just metal either, there's pop and hip hop and all sorts of inventive stuff happening around the world.

Even the stuff where you'd go, "Well that's just Pop, we do Pop too." .. I still tend to find their Pop more interesting and clever.

Honestly to my ears (and I only speak for myself) so many songs I've heard in the past 15 years here, sound like the same song. It really sounds to me like they just recycle the same 6-8 songs and keep rebranding them to the masses. Slow the drums a little, get a different singer, release it as a new song. And it's like no one notices.

I love music, I love pretty much every genre going back probably close to 100 years, but to my ears the past 15-20 years in the USA have been absolutely awful. It's not inventive, it's not clever, it's not smart, it's not talented, it's not original, it's just generic crap.

And most don't seem to care or notice.

I do notice that real music lovers,.. do not seem to have any interest in modern American music. I'm pretty sure I know why.

not that I expect everyone to agree with me or see it as I do.

Last edited:

pnuggett

Reaction score
I don't see this filling any gap in modern lame music .

'Pop and hip hop' inventive? What?

"There's a lot of diversity in sounds in the albums, but they're all good."

If that Japanese stuff floats your boat great. I put it on the same lame boat and they were the last to board.

But.the albums...."they're all good"? C'mon Mal, your infatuation and bias is showing.:rolleyes:

Standard

Reaction score

If that Japanese stuff floats your boat great. I put it on the same lame boat and they were the last to board.

But.the albums...."they're all good"? C'mon Mal, your infatuation and bias is showing.:rolleyes:
I've listened to several songs of theirs off of a few albums and I have to say, despite the fact that most of their songs (that I've heard) sound like the soundtrack to battling a final boss in a video game. Like Mal said, the proficiency is there, it might not be for you, but that's the beauty of music.

Although, and I do believe this is a big part for me, I don't listen to lyrics. Lyrics are just another instrument to me, I can recall the notes they hit and the progression but the actual words? Unless I've heard the song 100 times, not a fucking chance. So foreign language lyrics don't hinder me bonding with a song. One of the reasons the Mars Volta has been big on my list for years.

Malikon

she's so heavy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

They're incredible musicians, don't know what else to tell you.

Here they are doing symphonic-metal

This is not simple and easy music to play. And despite hearing a ton of different influences within their music, I've not a band that sounds like them previously. (Until recently of course some groups have started copying them because they're successful and packing arenas.)

But they've been playing and touring for years already and have 3 good albums out.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
I’m with Mal when it comes to the Japanese Kami band. IMHO they are one of the most talented live bands around right now. I’d rather hear them than a LOT of other bands.

cheers

pnuggett

Reaction score
They're incredible musicians, don't know what else to tell you.

Here they are doing symphonic-metal

This is not simple and easy music to play. And despite hearing a ton of different influences within their music, I've not a band that sounds like them previously. (Until recently of course some groups have started copying them because they're successful and packing arenas.)

But they've been playing and touring for years already and have 3 good albums out.

I'm not proficient at the Japanese language but I think that song has something to do with a lost bag of wasabi chips.:)

Malikon

she's so heavy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
AKATSUKI

Going over thousands nights,
some love shall survive.
So, until my body perishes,
until my life disappears,
I shall keep on cherishing this love.
Shining in the depths of the eyes,
the moon is about to cry.
Red tears overflow
and dye the night sky.
In the silence,
the two damaged blades stand face to face.
Our loneliness and our uneasiness
slash even our hearts.
some love shall survive.
In the passage of time,
I keep my eyes shut.
Even if the red thread flowing in my hand breaks,
I still feel we are tied.
In the silence,
I hold the damaged blade face to face.
My loneliness and my uneasiness,
I slash, even my heart,
now.
some love shall survive.
until my life disappears someday…
some love shall survive.
Dye crimson! Dye bloody crimson!

About KURENAI and Crimson
The title of this tune is, in kanji, “紅月” (aka-tsuki). Kanji “紅” also has a reading “kurenai” and kurenai is a color corresponding to crimson, so I translate the title to “Crimson Moon”. But both kurenai and crimson are not so specific. They are some deep red.

pnuggett

Reaction score
AKATSUKI

some love shall survive.
Shining in the depths of the eyes,
the moon is about to cry.
Red tears overflow
and dye the night sky.
In the silence,
the two damaged blades stand face to face.
Our loneliness and our uneasiness
slash even our hearts.
some love shall survive.
In the passage of time,
I keep my eyes shut.
Even if the red thread flowing in my hand breaks,
I still feel we are tied.
In the silence,
I hold the damaged blade face to face.
My loneliness and my uneasiness,
I slash, even my heart,
now.
some love shall survive.
until my life disappears someday…
some love shall survive.
Dye crimson! Dye bloody crimson!

About KURENAI and Crimson
The title of this tune is, in kanji, “紅月” (aka-tsuki). Kanji “紅” also has a reading “kurenai” and kurenai is a color corresponding to crimson, so I translate the title to “Crimson Moon”. But both kurenai and crimson are not so specific. They are some deep red.

So there's nothing about wasabi chips? Huh.

Latest Threads