For Led Zep Fans

HenryHill

Reaction score
For those who think LZ doesn't suck.

Vid cannot embed direct.

"The latest advance taste of Led Zeppelin‘s remastered and expanded version of ‘IV’ might be the most interesting of all, as we’re treated to an alternate mix of ‘Stairway to Heaven.’ You can listen to it above.

Recorded during Led Zeppelin’s summer 1971 stay at Los Angeles’ Sunset Sound Recorders, this version of the classic song plays down John Paul Jones‘ recorder and John Bonham‘s drums so that Jimmy Page‘s guitar sounds more detailed.

It’s not all that earth-shattering, but it still arrives with a jolt of surprise — if only because ‘Stairway to Heaven’ has become so deeply ingrained in our culture. “It’s always interesting to hear stuff that you know really well and hear it differently, but the same,” Jones told Rolling Stone. “It does give a different perspective on it. You hear different things.”

The updated ‘IV’ arrives on Oct. 28, along with a deluxe edition of ‘Houses of the Holy.’ As with the reissues of Led Zeppelin’s first three studio projects earlier this year, both albums have been remastered by Page and are accompanied by a second disc of unreleased tracks.

Read More: Led Zeppelin Release Never-Before-Heard Mix of 'Stairway to Heaven' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-stairway-to-heaven-mix/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=referral&trackback=tsmclip"

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to break out my vinyl copy of IV and give it a spin for a little A/B action (when it comes out, I am assuming the attached vid is the original version).

HenryHill

Reaction score
I took it from the article that it was not an original version, but one remixed just for the new release.

And as stated in the text, other things do come thru the mix that were muted before. :hmm:

I kinda like this one better, but I don't have a negative view of Page's guitarin', either. :)

questionman

Reaction score
I saw this but refuse to hear it before the CD comes out.

EDS1275

Banned
Reaction score
Not huge differences.... just some sort of rejected line playing noodling here and there and minus vocals usually.

What really 'humanizes' Pages playing, and Bonzo's as well, with their bootleg rehearsal/outtake stuff, is that their song fleshing out process sounds as crude and an almost 'picked up their instruments two weeks before' searching and groping along. In that, its the same process self taught play by ear guys like myself have experienced when writing original rock tunes with their bandmates.... this groping around for the right parts... playing bad and sloppily till muscle memory and practicing the parts kick in and it gets all perfectly polished and ass kicking

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am digging this a lot more. You can really feel the chords during the "makes me wonder part". I would call it the B section. The verb is sometimes bothersome but really adds a mellowness/ambiance to the introduction and part A. In part, I wish this song was not so overplayed so I could still enjoy it. It really is a great song with lots of musicality.

(Just to mention, I have the same feeling about a lot of Mozart. The only reason I can still listen to Mozart is because Mozart was so damn funny. I guess that is the second reason I can not listen to Stairway anymore, it is a bit pretentious. For good reasons but still... )

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Too much reverb on the guitars and drums. The keyboard parts seem louder, which I like.

Kashmir

Reaction score
It didn't sound much different to me, maybe a bit crisper. Sounded good anyway.

Latest Threads