For a second LP, what should I look for?

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Good suggestions here for shaking things up.

If money is no object (which is like, never actually the case, ha!) then look at a Reissue... they definitely have a different feel and vibe to them. Also, if money is no object, a Custom (Black, White, or my personal fav... Silverburst).

Reissues and Customs are a different ownership experience than a typical Gibson USA LP.

If you (like most of us) live in the real world where money is an issue I'd definitely go with a TV Yellow Special with P90s. Its a *very* cool guitar IMO and even just he affordable Epi version is a great alternative (I own one and really dig it!).

But, of course, it's all subjective... we all have different things the float our boats. Be sure to come back and let us know what direction you went! :cheers:

Peter M

Reaction score
The Classic is a nice zig to the Standard's zag... I alternate with those two.

AJK1

Reaction score
Hey all I already have a 50s standard that has Burstbuckers 1&2. I am looking to get a second les Paul. What would be best for a second LP? I was looking at a traditional that has 59 pickups and is a honeyburst. Is that too similar to what I already have?
What would you get if you didn’t have the internet ?

musicmaniac

Reaction score
My Traditional is a nice compliment and a little different too.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
DSC_0019__52134.1631898111.JPG

AdrianDSMer

Reaction score
Like others said, if you already have a USA model then (if your budget allows) step up with a Custom Shop guitar with other features like Custombuckers, Hide Glue, VOS finish, Staple P90 (54 Reissues), Axcess with a Floyd, better wood perhaps?

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey all I already have a 50s standard that has Burstbuckers 1&2. I am looking to get a second les Paul. What would be best for a second LP? I was looking at a traditional that has 59 pickups and is a honeyburst. Is that too similar to what I already have?

I put the Tele up there, kind of a joke. Kind of. Seriously though, what does the rest of your collection look like?

Peter M

Reaction score
That is stunning! Tobacco bursts are usually not my kind of burst, but this makes me rethink it.
It actually looks like "Vintage Sunburst" to me (no red)... but yeah, sweet either way.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Get a triple pickup Black Beauty. Really diggin mine!
+1 to this. I’m hoping to score the black beauty Norlin LP Custom, but if i get it, returning the triple pickup black beauty will be tough. Such an awesome guitar with a unique voicing.

mjross

Reaction score
+1 to this. I’m hoping to score the black beauty Norlin LP Custom, but if i get it, returning the triple pickup black beauty will be tough. Such an awesome guitar with a unique voicing.
Yeah, I think the voicing is what I like! Was a bit concerned initially but diggin it now. The middle pickup location took a little getting use to but is not really an issue, at least for me. Hope you score soon Sir!

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I think burstbucker 1 and 2 have alnico II magnets.. I love them.
If you get a guitar with alnico 4 or 5 will sound different enough. I have a LP with burstbucker PRO (alnico V), and it does sound quite a bit different while still "sounding like a Les Paul".

If you have the GAS and the means, I'd say go for it. You won't regret

Latest Threads