For a second LP, what should I look for?

Plant man

Reaction score
Hey all I already have a 50s standard that has Burstbuckers 1&2. I am looking to get a second les Paul. What would be best for a second LP? I was looking at a traditional that has 59 pickups and is a honeyburst. Is that too similar to what I already have?

ARandall

Reaction score
Depends entirely on why you want a second guitar. And as you haven't yet told us why you want a second LP, and none of us are skilled at mindreading, we simply can't go any further.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
with all the unknowns i'm going to say a modern. or a tribute.. maybe a jr. dc..? so many options.

Plant man

Reaction score
I basically want a second LP but I want a different sound. Would these 59 pickups sound any different from a burst bucker? Or should I go for a LP with p90s

gball

Reaction score
I was actually thinking a classic. I like the coil tapping options and the 60s neck may be different enough for me to justify purchasing it

Y'know I just bought a Classic a couple of weeks ago for those two reasons (thinner neck and the switching options) so that could work too. The Classics are the bargain of the century for what you get for the money.

Edit: in case anyone is curious, I bought the Olive Drab Exclusive model that's only available direct from Gibson and the color is absolutely amazing and unique.

peobryant

Reaction score
Hey all I already have a 50s standard that has Burstbuckers 1&2. I am looking to get a second les Paul. What would be best for a second LP? I was looking at a traditional that has 59 pickups and is a honeyburst. Is that too similar to what I already have?

I have an '18 Traditional with BurstBucker 1&2s and a '19 Wildwood Standard with Wildwood Spec '59 Tributes and they are pretty similar. If your goal is to have different sounds, I'd look for something else. Personally, I think a Standard '50s Gold Top with P90s would be a great addition.

Plant man

Reaction score
Y'know I just bought a Classic a couple of weeks ago for those two reasons (thinner neck and the switching options) so that could work too. The Classics are the bargain of the century for what you get for the money.

Edit: in case anyone is curious, I bought the Olive Drab Exclusive model that's only available direct from Gibson and the color is absolutely amazing and unique.
Probably Will get a classic. Can’t pass up a good deal

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I basically want a second LP but I want a different sound. Would these 59 pickups sound any different from a burst bucker? Or should I go for a LP with p90s
I always assumed the 50’s standard burstbuckers are based on the original 50’s PAF. Not familiar with the 59, but i imagine just by it’s name, it’s based on a 59 PAF. Thus, they will probsbly sound quite similar.

Now a p90 will give you a very different sound and character since it gets you in single coil territory. I recently got an LP Jr. and love it. I’d try out the p90, if you like it, it’ll be a nice thing to pair with your standard 50’s. Along with the gold top standard with p90’s, the 2018 LP Classic with p90’s may be worth a look as well. Or go completely different and get an SG special, that’ll really sound different. :dude:

I also agree with the LP Custom suggestion. They usually have hotter pickups like the 498T/490R and look so nice next to a standard.

Another two are the Les Paul Classic and the GC trad pro V. They have the funky switching options like coil split, in and out of phase. That will give you a nice variety of tones different from the standard 50’s.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
A different sound still tells us nothing about what this particular guitar is best at (as in its tonality or songs you find it nails the tone of) nor what your different tone to this unknown first tone might entail. You planning playing Metallica, or The Who, or GnR???
I mean all of those are 'different tones' but will require significantly different guitars to get closest to.....

rjwilson37

Reaction score
You might want to try a Les Paul Standard 60's, the neck is closer to your 50's Standard. The neck on the Les Paul Standard 60's is a Slim Taper C neck and I believe the neck on the Les Paul Classic is a Slim Taper D neck. Although the 60's Standard and Classic both have the BB 61 Pickups, they will have a different feel because of the neck differences. You will save some money going with the Classic and the Honeyburst is sweet, but you might find the neck to slim for your liking. I would go out and try the 60's standard and the Classic, taking them for a spin is the best option since you're coming from a 50's neck.

I never got a long with P90's much, just not a fan so I swapped them out for Mini Humbuckers.

Last edited:

Latest Threads