For 5k would you buy a custom shop LP or a 69-75 LP ?

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Who rocks. And he's so right.
Duane, I love that B&W shot of you onstage with your beautiful axe. Swear to god, that's why we play!

kelsodeez

Reaction score
If you're buying to play it... Custom shop

If you're buying it as an investment.... Buy the norlin boat anchor

AdrianDSMer

Reaction score
I had this same dilemma and end up thinking about a CS guitar just because of the craftmanship but sound wise my heart is set on T-tops, just love them.

jbash

Reaction score
Custom shop. I don't have any issues with a well built Norlin, and I love me some T tops and tarbacks- but most of them I cannot deal with the neck shapes.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I had a ‘74 Nordland Deluxe. Got it in maybe 2012.

It was good. Aside from being old there was nothing special for it. I’d say any Les Paul on the wall of a GC right now is a better guitar.

I don’t know what is driving the prices up on these. Must be appealing to the “older is better” crowd.

I’m glad I got rid of mine.
First guy I ever did sound for (pre-pro; still in my "all the free beer you can drink" days) had a '76 Deluxe that he bought new; there was not a thing wrong with that guitar except that it was his instead of mine. Not that I'd take it over the first guy I did sound for professionally's '53, you understand - but then, the '53 had P-90s........

As to the prices, I'd say that it is of a piece with '70s Fenders becoming "collectible" - and priced accordingly - because all the '65s and older were snapped up and going for 5, and sometimes for a while there even 6, figures. But that should not be construed as saying that the difference between CMI, Norlin, and current LPs is anywhere near comparable to the QC dive of CBS Fenders as opposed to before & after.

Phylodog

Reaction score
Just sold my CS at a loss a few weeks back. Kept my 74 and 79 Customs though. No sense keeping a guitar around that never got played.

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
CS is my vote. I've had lots of both and the CS guitars are generally nicer in my opinion. But, again, they are all definitely different.

kisschicken

Reaction score
I'd get a 50s or 60s Standard or TV Yellow Special and save a few thousand.

Mahoot

Reaction score
Early Deluxe for me. Not being the most skilled player, I don't think I'd benefit from the difference from my 50's standard and say an R9. For me it's also about buying the history and mojo of a guitar.

Reactions: Who

InTheEvening

Reaction score
It’s funny i just had this same scenario happen.

Ordered a 57 Reissue VOS 3 pickup black beauty, but also wanted a Norlin era LP Custom. I opted to return the historic 57 (still not easy to let go, stunning guitar) and went with the 1976 LP Custom. Will see how I bond with it.

Biggest reason for me came down to specs, I wanted an LP Custom with a slimmer neck and T-tops and it’s very hard to find a modern era LP Custom that has those features outside of some limited runs and one off models, and most of the historic customs have pretty chunky necks. Also, it’s getting harder to find Norlins at fair prices whereas good historics are a little easier to find second hand.
And I’m super happy with that decision. ;) Would still love to have both at some point (very different beasts) but def glad I got the Norlin.
195-EE55-A-5-A42-4-A28-86-E4-DC688-FE0-EB2-E.jpg

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Norlands are good guitars, but completely different animals than CS LPs.

I have a bunch of Norlands and a bunch of CS LPs.

Comparing the two is kinda silly.

As someone who has never owned a Norlin, why?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
As someone who has never owned a Norlin, why?
I assumed he meant that they are so different in terms of specs that it’s like comparing apples to oranges, or apples to broccoli. Thus it’s difficult to compare and say one is universally better…just comes down to personal preference when choosing one. But being in similar price ranges now, it’s good to be aware of the differences and similarities if anyone is in the market.

ARandall

Reaction score
The dense mahogany, the multi-lam construction in both body and neck, the maple from '75, and the T-tops (or Shaws) all make for a different tonal focus.
Whilst early guitars still kept a fair bit of vintage tonal breadth, as you go further on they become more focussed and intense - so rather than a more open broad tone they become really mid focussed and punchy. Great for hard rock with the right rig, but if your guitar is a little too punchy and the rig was a bit toppy (as some of the late 70's amps started to become) then it really got a bit much for some. Thats where the aftermarket pickup market came into being.

decoy205

Reaction score
If I could only pick one, at this point I’d pick the Norlin. They aren’t making anymore of them and they will become harder to get good examples that aren’t abused or modded to death. When you come into more $$ down the road get a new one,

Latest Threads