For 5k would you buy a custom shop LP or a 69-75 LP ?

truckermde

Reaction score
Nope.

No, I wouldn't.

But if I have to spend the money on one of those options, or loose it, I'd take the Custom shop RI.

I've had Norlins when they were just cheap used guitars, and I'm probably not gonna get any more.

Never say never, though...

West 8th ST NyC

Reaction score
Nope.

No, I wouldn't.

But if I have to spend the money on one of those options, or loose it, I'd take the Custom shop RI.

I've had Norlins when they were just cheap used guitars, and I'm probably not gonna get any more.

Never say never, though...
Were the norlands good ?...did you bond with them ?....I was seeing they are climbing in price and wanted to grab one before they are outtasight

CyFan

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Custom Shop all day long for me.

Reactions: Who

rjwilson37

Reaction score
If you already have a Les Paul Standard 50's or 60's, and those aren't doing it for you, then maybe a Custom or an older one might do it for you. If you got money to burn and you want a new to you Les Paul, the world is your oyster and I say go for it. Go big or go home. Haha

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Were the norlands good ?...did you bond with them ?....I was seeing they are climbing in price and wanted to grab one before they are outtasight
Norlands are good guitars, but completely different animals than CS LPs.

I have a bunch of Norlands and a bunch of CS LPs.

Comparing the two is kinda silly.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d buy an 18 classic with p90s and a new classic with humbuckers…
spend the rest on a Marshall dsl40

-chris

truckermde

Reaction score
They were nothing special, but they were beat before I got them, and I haven't had a Norlin since the mid-90s, so it's been too long for me to really objectively offer any evaluations of real use to you.

I always liked the 3-piece maple necks with volutes typical of some years. Specs change, and I'm not familiar enough to say which years.

Some of the members here are veritable walking encyclopedias of Norlin history, so you've come to the right place.

Honestly though, comparing 70s Gibsons to current CS models is apples to oranges.

Who

Well respected man about town
Reaction score
I had a ‘74 Nordland Deluxe. Got it in maybe 2012.

It was good. Aside from being old there was nothing special for it. I’d say any Les Paul on the wall of a GC right now is a better guitar.

I don’t know what is driving the prices up on these. Must be appealing to the “older is better” crowd.

I’m glad I got rid of mine.

gball

Reaction score
If you are talking about a Les Paul Custom, then the CS. If its any other CS model then the Norlin in every possible way.

ARandall

Reaction score
If you have any Sense or Sensibility then a Norland (Park) model will increase your Pride and lower your Prejudice.

If you're actually talking about buying a Gibson guitar, then I'd chose a Norlin era myself.

AJK1

Reaction score
If you have any Sense or Sensibility then a Norland (Park) model will increase your Pride and lower your Prejudice.

If you're actually talking about buying a Gibson guitar, then I'd chose a Norlin era myself.
I hate giving compliments but…
You’re too clever for this forum

• Haha
Reactions: Who

Harley90

Reaction score
Generally Custom Shop now is my preferred guitar. I have had Norlins that when gone over by a great luthier have been fantastic but that said, I have moved them along or passed when I find. Nothing much beats a new custom shop Gibson for me these days, need to always play, inspect 1st to make sure it suits you. YMMV

InTheEvening

Reaction score
It’s funny i just had this same scenario happen.

Ordered a 57 Reissue VOS 3 pickup black beauty, but also wanted a Norlin era LP Custom. I opted to return the historic 57 (still not easy to let go, stunning guitar) and went with the 1976 LP Custom. Will see how I bond with it.

Biggest reason for me came down to specs, I wanted an LP Custom with a slimmer neck and T-tops and it’s very hard to find a modern era LP Custom that has those features outside of some limited runs and one off models, and most of the historic customs have pretty chunky necks. Also, it’s getting harder to find Norlins at fair prices whereas good historics are a little easier to find second hand.

Last edited:

519tbarr

Reaction score
Could the 69-75 Lp deluxe be the next big thing ?...Or would you buy a great used custom shop ?
Buy a LP that speaks to you. Like all era's of guitars there are hits and misses.
The Custom Shop stuff from 2014 forward has been pretty brilliant and I must say the Custom Shop stuff from 2017-forward has been rather stellar.
The only thing I am not a fan of and this is personal preference is the tall narrow frets on the 58 reissues from 2018 forward.
If you find a late 60's early 70's LP that speaks to you and feels right - go for it - those are of a certain vintage.
Wishing you the best of luck in your search. There are lots of options to choose from.

Latest Threads