Following in your Father's footsteps.

05jrock

Reaction score
My father is a barman, Always has been. Was tempted to give that sort of work a try but never got around to it. He has done alright for himself, He should be retired now but he likes the social side of the job.
I done my training and became a craft baker but at the moment am looking at getting my dump truck license so I can work in the mines here in Queensland.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
They don't let anyone be a human being.

And as for me this isn't something I really wanna go into, but if music doesn't carry me off first, I'm probably going to be an English teacher, and either teach extra for workshops or write or proofread on the side.

You can do both...Teaching at a private school gets you into the SS program, teaching at a public school gets you into their pension fund. The hours are good and you could play your ass off over summer breaks. I thought about doing the same thing as a history teacher, but I found my first wife attracted to big paychecks....hence the move into the tech business.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Your dad was military or state department? How did you end up in Iran?

My dad was an employee of Raytheon after he left the Army, and we went to Iran on a contract he supported to maintain the Hawk II missile batteries of the IIAF.

My parents split when I was fifteen, and sledding got hard at that point.

Electroman67

Reaction score
My dad made capacitors for tv's and radios for a living. I learned upholstery in Fla. and beside a stint in construction and also some retail management, upholstery is what i do.
As far as being better off than my dad, hmmmm, he is my landlord and i have... going on 18 years paid off of a 30 yr loan. He and my mom got into doing rental properties on the side for awhile and sold them all after continual problems w/ shitty renters. My house is the only one they didn't sell.

So i'd say i'm a little better off than he was, although it would depend on how you view it.
He had a secure 40 hours a week and some saturdays and a pension and insurance.
I currently live month to month with no pension or insurance.
While he had the promise of always having work waiting for him through international shipping and all, i have the ability to go install doors, windows, deck building, minor plumbing and electrical & most any construction based task, but prefer to make my $ w/ a sewing machine.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
my father was a government bureaucrat.:shock:

he's still pissed off about the layoffs in the early 80s.:laugh2:

Arzachel

Reaction score
my dad was a truck driver all his life I never followed him even though I love trucking I went into electronics but I took the test just coz and can drive the big rigs

I think the old man approved of the gesture :)

Toxicpizza72

Reaction score
..My father was an earlier pub/motell-owner (he inherited it from his adoptive parents,few years later he got broke,He started again as truckdriver (..still is,but soon retiring) ..My mum was first a hair-dresser ,Today a teacher!
My parents got divorced when I was 11,both got married again,(but rumour says my father could be soon divorced second time,I`ll put my 2 cents on his drinking-problems)..Me?...Service-technician for ventilation-systems,I have an education as a technician for cooling-systems !
I like it,I`ll travel a lot locally,meet new people everyday,Free work-car & telephone,payments okay,Not complaining ! :)

PeteK

Reaction score
I started my career working for the same company as my dad, but a different line of work. He was a telecommunications engineer. I started as an apprentice power plant operator, but have since moved up a few rungs and hired on with a different company. My mom was a gradeschool teacher. Both parents are retired now and still happily married after 35 years together.

Economically, I think I'm doing as good or better than my dad was at my age as far as salary, but dad was a pretty savy investor and has a pretty hefty retirement account. Education wise, dad has no college degree, nor do I. My mom and my sister both have bachelors degrees and my sister followed in mom's footsteps and became a teacher.

Howard2k

Reaction score
Father and step father were both in IT (systems analysis).

I left school with my primary plan to join the airforce, learn to fly, and then leave the airforce and become a commercial pilot. But I figured it smart to have a backup plan.

At 15 I was too young to join the airforce but figured that I could spend a year in college doing IT stuff and that was my fallback if I didn't make it as a pilot. Turned out I loved the IT stuff and discarded the pilot idea. Eventually moved from IT to telecom and here I am...

Doing better than both of them I suspect.

tex_lt

Banned
Reaction score
Dads a dentist, I took the Armed Services route and now own a guitar shop........Dad thinks I'm crazy. :laugh2:

Lungo

Reaction score
My dad was trekking across parts of Africa and India during WWII when he was 18 years old. He got out of the military after the war but enlisted in the USAF to give his family a better life. Did a tour in Vietnam and retired a few years after my brother and I were born. He earned a second retirement working as a mechanic - civilian employee on Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter, SC.

I enlisted in the Coast Guard but didn't make it a career. I now work for the State of Alaska DOT. I guess I followed his footsteps in a sense. My brother failed his hearing test or else he would have enlisted in the Navy. He's a skilled welder.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nope. He was a scientist and I think he secretly hoped I would go into bio chem, but ultimately he wanted me to have any stable/secure career that didn't overwork me, such as having off on weekends to give me time to relax.

12watt

Reaction score
I do what my dad did. I do it on a computer, he did it by hand. I am a typesetter/graphic designer. He was not academically qualified but was an apprentice for a number of years after he left school at the age of 15 - he could spot a typo at 80 yards :).

I did not set out to do this but I found I could get by doing it after university. He was better off financially later on than I am now but he was working as a print broker as well. I choose not to engage in that as I don't wish to be financially exposed so heavily in today's economy. He came from a working class family and had to share a bed with his brother until his brother got married. There were times we didn't have a lot as kids but we never went without. He died in sad and tragic circumstances three years ago. I miss him.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, though my father was the manager of a small bank in Upstate New York, he was also a B-24 pilot in WW2... and I also served in the US Army and later got a commercial pilot's license (with trimmings). I worked as a certified flight instructor for a brief time in the early 1980's. I gave that particular career path up, however, as the competition for good jobs in the aviation field were absolutely fierce and I was kind of outgunned by guys with a lot more experience and so forth. I didn't feel like starving while waiting for a break, and so I got into law enforcement...

But the rest of my work history is such that not only did my father not pursue any of the trades I plied over the years, but nobody else in my family were ever engaged in any of those professions.

--R

Groove Toad

Banned
Reaction score
My dad was an attorney. He talked me out of going to law school.

Dad, "son, choose an honest profession."

So, I'm a teacher.

Cruznolfart

Reaction score
Dad was a career officer in the U.S. Army, from 1939 to 1975. Then went into executive stuff for Sylvania/GTE for another 15 years or so. He was totally Establishment.

I was drafted in '68 for two years and worked for Ma Bell for about 10 years, equipment rental management another 10 years, been farming ever since. Not a very Establishment type.

P1010029.jpg

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My dad was a professional musician through my early years. I remember watching him practice with the band in our soundproofed rec-room. Most older Canadian country fans will probably recognize the band (The Happy Wanderers) They did a lot of live shows and local radio shows.

When the 5th child was born (my youngest sister) he decided to quit the band and get a job..play on weekends and jam with friends. There were times I could tell that he missed the life. He would come to EVERY show I did within 200 miles and I caught him on many occasions, shedding a small tear as he sat watching. I still wonder, to this day, if he regretted it. He died in 1987....but before he went, he taught me never to be afraid to try something new and to never give up on your dreams but most importantly, always give your best.

I hold those words dear and I know damn well that he's with me every time I pick up a guitar or sit behind my piano. I wrote this for him

[SC]http://soundcloud.com/buzzhaze/allyourbest[/SC]

Here he is doing what he loved to do.

30892_1524229705650_1231842655_1493261_1281987_n.jpg

defcrew

Reaction score
Dad was a career officer in the U.S. Army, from 1939 to 1975. Then went into executive stuff for Sylvania/GTE for another 15 years or so. He was totally Establishment.

I was drafted in '68 for two years and worked for Ma Bell for about 10 years, equipment rental management another 10 years, been farming ever since. Not a very Establishment type.

P1010029.jpg

Those aren't tomatoes, are they?

Latest Threads