Folded plans

Bainzy

Reaction score
What do you guys do to get plans flat when you've received them folded in the post?

The common methods I can see for removing creases in paper are ironing (cloth in between), steam (leave it in bathroom whilst showering!) or using weights and tension.

My main worry would be stretching the paper and wrecking the dimensions but is this fear unnecessary?

pshupe

Reaction score
If you can lay them flat with a piece of cardboard or mdf about the same size the creases will eventually come out. Any "good" plans should have the important dimensions written on the drawings. Any non-critical dimensions like a body outline should be fine to use as a template. Never scale from a drawing for an exact dimension like fret slots, or scale length. If those dimensions aren't written they are not a "good" set of plans.

I do construction drawings for a living and helped Tom Bartlett with his plans. I have purchased many many sets of plans and very few are what I would describe as "good". Most are OK and some are downright trash for building.

Regards Peter.

PS - To which plans are you referring? I'm always interesting in checking out others plans. ;-)

Bainzy

Reaction score
Thanks Peter, I guess you'll be disappointed then because they aren't others, they are yours! :laugh2:

I've had the generic plans from Tom for many years and just bought the exact 59 replica ones as well, they arrived today hence me thinking about it. The measurements are all there, it would just be a shame to find out after I'd got them here all the way across the Atlantic ocean and flattened them to find that I've stretched them irreparably.

I don't like the idea of cutting them up, instead I like using tracing paper. It works well, it's just slower than I'd like because I have to be meticulous in flattening the folds as I trace on the larger sections.

They are lovely plans by the way, you guys did a great job. If I had some V and Explorer ones as good as these I don't think I'd need to buy a set of plans ever again. Were you involved in the SG ones as well? I noticed them on Tom's site but there wasn't much information on there about them yet.

pshupe

Reaction score
Thanks Peter, I guess you'll be disappointed then because they aren't others, they are yours! :laugh2:

I've had the generic plans from Tom for many years and just bought the exact 59 replica ones as well, they arrived today hence me thinking about it. The measurements are all there, it would just be a shame to find out after I'd got them here all the way across the Atlantic ocean and flattened them to find that I've stretched them irreparably.

I don't like the idea of cutting them up, instead I like using tracing paper. It works well, it's just slower than I'd like because I have to be meticulous in flattening the folds as I trace on the larger sections.

They are lovely plans by the way, you guys did a great job. If I had some V and Explorer ones as good as these I don't think I'd need to buy a set of plans ever again. Were you involved in the SG ones as well? I noticed them on Tom's site but there wasn't much information on there about them yet.
Yes - I did the updated 59 plans, both generic and replica, as well as the 54 JR, and the SG plans. The SG plans were laser scanned from a 1962 SG that was in amazing condition. The scans were turned into a 3d model and then I created the plans from that model. Fun stuff.

Tom had considered selling the drawings in rolls but the shipping was a ridiculous upcharge, which is too bad. Paper will stretch a little, so definitely use the charts and dimensions where they are given but you should be find with making templates for the body outline and others as well. I would double check with measurements after the fact as well. If you have any questions about the plans, let me know.

Cheers Peter.

Bainzy

Reaction score
Yeh its a shame, every time I've looked at importing things from Canada the prices go from really reasonable to daft quite quickly once you hit a certain size. It's the same with exporting via Royal Mail here in the UK. Probably for the best in some ways though as a small envelope is probably a lot less environmentally damaging to post than a large tube.

SG plans definitely on my shopping list now...

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I'd suggest that Tom should offer a premium grade plan set which is printed to drafting mylar and shipped in a tube so, no folds, no wrinkles. If you're willing to pay the upcharge to get a premium plan package, you should be able to get it.

Personally I've never worked from plans. A body outline tracing is all I need to get started. But I'm not into making pure replicas. Yes, I get kind of close...but never THAT close. I have to put my own spin on anything I make.

Latest Threads