Focusrite 2i2 basics

Dan18

Reaction score
First attempt at recording anything so want to keep it rather simple. As I read a lot on this, there’s a whole lot of new terminology and settings involved for you experienced types.

The question is, can I record either 2 guitars or 1 guitar and 1 mic (voice or piano) and monitor it via headphones with a 2i2? It appears so to me as it has two combo inputs. And I’d have a choice of listening as I record via speakers or headphones? Not sure how the computer comes into play. Can use Garage Band or Ableton.

So in the case of two guitars, each guitar will plug into its own amp, each amp into the 2i2 inputs and output to speaker plugged into the 2i2 if both guitarists want to hear?

Got a gift certificate for Xmas so need a new toy.

LP1865

Reaction score
The question is, can I record either 2 guitars or 1 guitar and 1 mic (voice or piano) and monitor it via headphones with a 2i2?
You can. But only one person will be able to hear it via headphones coz it has only one headphone jack.
And I’d have a choice of listening as I record via speakers or headphones?
Yes. headphones are attached to the headphone output and the speaker (have to be active ones) can be monitored via line output.
Not sure how the computer comes into play. Can use Garage Band or Ableton.
The interface has to always be connected to a computer via USB. Thats where it gets its power from.
Can use Garage Band
use Garageband as it has built in amp sims, which are pretty good.
So in the case of two guitars, each guitar will plug into its own amp, each amp into the 2i2 inputs and output to speaker plugged into the 2i2 if both guitarists want to hear?
Yes. This is possible.
Guitar->Amp->DI out->Garagband->IR loader(if your amp doesn't have speaker emulation with the DI out).
Use this to record
To monitor with speakers, attach speaker to line out from interface.
If u wish to use headphones, connect to either headphone output of the interface or into your laptop/computers headphone jack. Both work fine
If your amp doesn't have an emulated/ DI/ Headphone out get a load box
Remember, if your amp doesnt have speaker simulation with the emulated/ DI/ Headphone out, you need to use IRs.
Otherwise it'll sound trash

Dan18

Reaction score
I have a Katana 50 so assume it meets the requirement.

The Katana-50 features line, USB, and phones/recording outputs with mic’d cabinet emulation, allowing you to send mix-ready amp tones to a PA system, computer DAW, or headphones.

LP1865

Reaction score
Connect Katana straight to computer via USB cable.
In GarageBand, go to Preferences, Audio/MIDI and select the Katana as the Input Device.
Do this. You have no need for an interface. Monitor from laptops headphone jack or connect external speaker to it.

Dan18

Reaction score
Do this. You have no need for an interface. Monitor from laptops headphone jack or connect external speaker to it.
I tried that last year but it sounded crappy. So I thought I potentially needed the interface. I can try again with my new Mac as the old one was 11 years old. But when it comes time to record two inputs, especially from mic, don’t I need the interface?

Dan18

Reaction score
So I got the 2i2 hooked up. Using garage band configured with Scarlett input and output. Guitar is connected to 2i2, monitoring via headphones on the interface. It sounds really tinny. Is that normal?

Also noticed that the settings from the amp (phaser, crunch etc.) don’t really translate through the interface and out to the headphones. And of course garage band has all it’s similar sound options. Should Inalways set the amp to clean? Tried plugging the guitar directly into the interface. Not that great either. Any ideas on how I get the output to sound like something richer? I’m at 101 on this so thx.

LP1865

Reaction score
You will need an ir loader for your amp.
Get the Nadir from ignite amps.
Costs nothing and you get the Emissary Amp plugin free
Look online to find good irs.
If you want O can link them.
I have a around 800 free ones.

Dan18

Reaction score
Ok I know you previously brought up the ir but wasn’t sure it was necessary with my amp. So I’m starting to read up on this, get the terminology etc. Cost aside, can I accomplish the same thing with a NUX mini IR loader. My needs will be simple. I really just want the effects of my Katana to pass through the interface on recordings vs try hundreds of cab tones.

LP1865

Reaction score
Cost aside, can I accomplish the same thing with a NUX mini IR loader.
Yes, but I would rather have a quality plugin designed by good studio engineers that a random chinese company.
Plus with that you are limiting yourself to the available 8 irs
Also, the Nadir has preinstalled IRs as well,

Dan18

Reaction score
Ah, thx. Thought I had read that there were no preinstalled irs with Nadir. I’ll load that up and try it.

LP1865

Reaction score
Ah, thx. Thought I had read that there were no preinstalled irs with Nadir. I’ll load that up and try it.
No problem.
If you don't like, I can always tell you some trustworthy sites where you can download some

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Try this...

Plug the guitar into the Katana 50.
Connect the Katana 50 to the Mac with a USB cable.
Power up the Katana 50.
Open GarageBand.
Preferences... AUDIO / MIDI...
Input Device: Katana 50
Output Device: Scarlett 2i2 USB

Plug Headphones into Scarlett 2i2

Since the Katana 50 has its own built-in USB audio interface and is connected directly to the computer via USB, you now have 2 inputs still available on the Scarlett 2i2 for future use. You can use the Scarlett 2i2 to monitor all audio from both the Katana 50 and any inputs connected to the Scarlett 2i2.

Create Audio Track
See all the plug-ins listed in blue?

Remove all those plug-ins for now so that it looks like this...

Select the EQ, next to the Controls button...

Select the Low Pass Filter in the EQ, top right icon...

Start off by setting the cut-off frequency at 3000 Hz.
You can then move it around until you dial in the right amount of sparkle eliminating all the fizz that usually results from direct recording with USB. This EQ is the key to dialing in your sound when using direct recording via USB cable from amp.

Last edited:

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
With the guitar and associated effects into the scarlett.. your DAW will project the "raw signal".. that is the tinny noise you hear. If you are hooked up to the scarlett via an amp, then you need to load a speaker cab sim/IR in your DAW. If you are hooked up guitar straight into the scarlett with no amp, then you must load both an amp and cab sim in your DAW.

Good luck

Dan18

Reaction score
Getting there....I’m a pretty good IT background but not audio. I’ve installed Nadir on my Mac. It says installation successful. No real instruction on how to start/enable it. Instructions say Nadir should appear in an effect list in the host. Garageband? How to start/ use this? There are no new plugins listed on Garageband, I’ve restarted everything etc. Continued thanks.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
I think you’re making it more difficult than it needs to be by connecting the direct out from the amp to the Scarlett 2i2 and then using third party cab sim plugins.

The Katana already has cab sim when connecting the Katana to the computer via USB cable.

The video above has the basics how to configure recording the Katana with GarageBand using the USB cable.

When you create a new track in GarageBand, turn off all default plugins on the track except for the EQ. You don't want to be running Amp Designer (amp and cab sim) on top of the cab sim from the Katana. It will sound too processed.

Using the Low Pass Filter on the EQ in GarageBand to attenuate frequencies above 3-4 kHz is going to make a world of difference in eliminating any fizz or "bee in a can" sounds.

I use a Blackstar HT40 MkII with Logic Pro X connected via USB cable and it works the same way as what you are trying to do with the Katana and GarageBand. I also use a Scarlett 2i2 for monitoring.

In GarageBand with Katana connected via USB, there are four channels sent through the USB. In the video, it is not explained very well, but use Channel 1 to use the cab sim with onboard effects from the Katana.

Below is how the USB channels work on the Blackstar. I'd wager that the Katana probably has the same implementation.

Channel 1: Stereo emulated, left channel – The fully processed guitar sound, with speaker cabinet emulation. This will include the left channel of the internal stereo reverb.

Channel 2: Stereo emulated, right channel – The fully processed guitar sound, with speaker cabinet emulation. This will include the right channel of the internal stereo reverb.

Channel 3: Preamp output – The preamp sound of the channels, voices and EQ stages, taken before the reverb and without any speaker cabinet emulation. Ideal for use with your own effects and cabinet emulation plugins within your recording software/DAW.

Channel 4: Unprocessed dry guitar signal – This is the direct signal from your guitar as received by the amp.

Last edited:

HogmanA

Reaction score
As well as all the above, you also have the classic option - stick a min in front of it.
Cab sims are useful, but you actually have the real thing, opening up a whole world of options and fun.
You could record a fully processed sound via mic on one channel, and the clean unprocessed signal on another channel, with the security to re amp with virtual amps/ sims in your daw. You could even blend real and virtual amps this way, allowing for a lot of flexibility.

Big Bombo Mamma

Reaction score
If you want O can link them.
I have a around 800 free ones.
I can always tell you some trustworthy sites where you can download some
Thanks all for sharing this info. I'm following this thread closely because I'm starting just like @Dan18

hey @LP1865 would you be so kind to share? I already got STL Ignite (NadIR included) as you recommended...

thanks!!!

LP1865

Reaction score
hey @LP1865 would you be so kind to share? I already got STL Ignite (NadIR included) as you recommended...
These are the ones that instantly come to mind.
I have segregated them based on speaker so I don't remember where I downloaded them from.
I can Google Drive Link any specific cab IRs if you want them and given that I have them.
Explore on your own by just Googling Free IRs and downloading them.
Its pretty low risk if you're downloading from good Youtubers and other sites that sell other audio stuff

Latest Threads