FMV for 1959 PAF’s?

Jegersen

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what FMV is for a pair (or a single) PAF from 1959. I have seen a few listings on Reverb, but I have found asking prices on reverb a little unreliable. I figured folks here would probably know. Thanks very much.

RAG7890

Reaction score
FMV really depends on a number is things; i.e. Bobbin Color, overall condition, history, is it untouched with the Cover never removed or is the Cover off or missing etc.

When I bought PAF's prices ranged from ~ $6,500 - $12,000...............mint, untouched, DW PAF's were $10,000 - $12,000 but I'm not sure what the current market prices are now. I would guess prices have come down to a more reasonable level.

If you have a pair you're selling or buying post pics so a number of us can comment.

:cheers2:

Jegersen

Reaction score
Much appreciated. I am not selling. Considering buying a guitar that has a pair in it. I will try to get some pics or more details. Cover on, but I doubt never untouched. Thanks very much.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A PAF can be priced at whatever you want. Same with an M69 ring. But if it sits for 2 years, is it really the right price?

ns2a

Reaction score
FMV really depends on a number is things; i.e. Bobbin Color, overall condition, history, is it untouched with the Cover never removed or is the Cover off or missing etc.

When I bought PAF's prices ranged from ~ $6,500 - $12,000...............mint, untouched, DW PAF's were $10,000 - $12,000 but I'm not sure what the current market prices are now. I would guess prices have come down to a more reasonable level.

If you have a pair you're selling or buying post pics so a number of us can comment.

PAF's were that high at one point?

I just started looking around for them so I see them for $2-3k now for a single

Does the resistance matter as far as price? Seems the 8.5+ go quicker.

RAG7890

Reaction score
A PAF can be priced at whatever you want. Same with an M69 ring. But if it sits for 2 years, is it really the right price?
Too true, many times we see really high prices but the item never sells.

At the time I remember Uncle Lou wanted $12,000 for a Set of '59 DW PAF's...........friend of mine was also selling a Set of '59 DW PAF's at ~ the same time frame for $9,000.

PAF's were that high at one point?

I just started looking around for them so I see them for $2-3k now for a single

Does the resistance matter as far as price? Seems the 8.5+ go quicker.
It all depends on what you are buying............Double Whites, Zebra, Double Black, early no sticker '57, '58, '59 through to early '62. So pricewaise DW > Zebra > DB................but if you have covers on, who cares, as long as they sound great in the Guitar.

For me, I prefer lower output PAF's...........let the Amp do the work...........others want a "hot" Bridge PU.

I bought my '58 PAF's for $4,800 and my early '62 PAF's for $4,200 along with '58 Long Magnets which I used to replace the Short Magnets.

Timing is everything, prices go up & down and you have to get lucky & get a great Set................they are not all great. I was lucky but I bought from a reputable source that I trusted.

You also want to make sure the PU's work with the specific Guitar. A person I know quite well, who has owned > 20 Bursts, told me that PU swapping back in the day between Bursts was quite common & he's done it many times to get the right Set in the right Guitar.

Jegersen

Reaction score
And if you have a reputable source that you trust, I would be grateful to know if they are still selling. It feels a bit like a minefield. PM me so, but no obligation obviously. Thanks.

RAG7890

Reaction score
And if you have a reputable source that you trust, I would be grateful to know if they are still selling. It feels a bit like a minefield. PM me so, but no obligation obviously. Thanks.
Done.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Yes the key is getting a good set at a reasonable market price.........so how do you determine a 'good' set........get 'em from somebody you know won't put you crook.
I've had some sets over the years(bought and sold) and haven't found a really good pairing as yet.

BSeneca

Reaction score
To me those prices are ludicrous. Yes I know they are different, but many modern winders do a very respectable version. I know I am off topic, but you could buy a TWO vintage Juniors for that. But to each his own. Good Luck

RAG7890

Reaction score
To me those prices are ludicrous. Yes I know they are different, but many modern winders do a very respectable version. I know I am off topic, but you could buy a TWO vintage Juniors for that. But to each his own. Good Luck
There is no logic here. You can argue the same about Vintage Guitars. I have two Replicas that I know are better than many Vintage equivalents & several Custom Guitars that are WAY better Musical Instruments full stop.

But that doesn't stop people paying silly money for Vintage Instruments, many of which are not work 10c in the $ IMHO.

Same goes for Amps, Speakers & PU's.

Vintage PU's should probably be reserved for restoring Vintage Guitars but it is what it is.

A Luthier I know calls it "window dressing" & he's right.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
With original soldered covers, about $4k-12k.

Without original soldered covers, use extreme caution if you aren't buying from an expert or involving one. Great deals are not really great deals.

My Les Paul Classifieds