Flying V purchase thoughts? Gibson, Epiphone

Angus

Reaction score
I'm going through some work related stuff at the moment, (nothing I can't cope with) and it's due to end relatively soon. As silly as it sounds, I made a deal with myself to buy a Flying V when it's over, which should be quite soon.

The outcome will probably determine which one I choose, but my "worst case" scenario is an Epiphone Korina. Although actually, the more I investigate, the more I think I might prefer that to one of the less expensive Gibsons.
I really like the push through strings and the associated V plate thingy. And the Gibson equivalent is way more than I want to spend.

I'm not into the metal thing - this is really about the Gibson classic styles.

From what I can see I could get a black Epiphone like that but they're not currently selling a natural one, which I think look prettu awesome. There's also the Joe Bonamassa one, if I could find one.

Any thoughts or knowledge on forthcoming releases that I should be aware of?

Thanks! :)

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
Get what you really want :)
05983CC1-7708-4378-AF5E-3077DFAFB215.jpeg

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
I don’t keep up with the specs of guitars but I see the new Vs have BB2/3 pickups with covers. Those will be a vast improvement over my 2017 which originally had uncovered Dirty Fingers. Would have saved me some money.

77AA9B52-C050-4147-A9A1-55F35A741B3E.jpeg

GrandJunction

Reaction score
All I can say is that I love my 2008 Gibson V. I bought it several years ago for well under $700 - including a hardshell case . . . a real steal in today's market. Given the great quality and value of the Epiphone line, I would have had no issues with buying an Epi version, but I just never saw one.

Good luck in your search!

danohat

Reaction score
813AD6C0-B4F1-44C9-A1F6-6EC422F851A2.jpeg

Got this new under 700. Could sell for more 15 years later. That's a factor. Play the real thing and it makes money. Not much, but it's a quality investment.

mdubya

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd find a fair deal (there are no "good" deals right now) on an Original Collection V.

It will at least hold some of its value.

There was an insanely cool MIJ '58/'59 for sale here on mlp a few months back.

For the price of an OC Gibson, you could get a '58/'59 MIJ.

There is a certain '67 Custom Shop V from a few years ago that haunts me, too. Current value would be about double of what it went for. :shock:

mtxylish5oxt9vkuklar.jpg

For better or for worse, I am more of an Explorer type.

NotScott

Reaction score
I bought this Epi GOTM a while back for peanuts. After upgrading the hardware and pups, I will put it up against any Gibson V:

sZWIZPB.jpg

A friend of mine found a Bonamassa corina V. That is a fine guitar as well.

I wouldn't get hung up on the name. Play a bunch and get the one that speaks to you.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I bought this Epi GOTM a while back for peanuts. After upgrading the hardware and pups, I will put it up against any Gibson V:

sZWIZPB.jpg

A friend of mine found a Bonamassa corina V. That is a fine guitar as well.

I wouldn't get hung up on the name. Play a bunch and get the one that speaks to you.
Wow!!! How'd I miss that Schenker V?

NotScott

Reaction score
Wow!!! How'd I miss that Schenker V?

Technically, it is not a Schenker. It was called the "Black &White" '67 Flying-V and was one of the limited edition guitars Epiphone released as the GOTM series in 2005. There were only 500 of them made which is why they aren't well known.

It originally looked like this:

lf

I bought mine with the pickguard and truss rod cover painted in the black and white Schenker motif and later added the Schenker black and white pickups. Everywhere I have played it everyone thinks it's a Gibby. Epiphone did a great job on these.

Latest Threads