Floyd upgrade opinions

redking

Reaction score
Calling all Floyd aficionados!

I have a nice old Ibanez RG-410 "Roadstar" that I want to get into better playing shape - it's primary need is a refret, but also, the old Gotoh licensed Floyd Rose bridge (AKA first gen "Ibanez Edge") seems to be worn out and doesn't really hold a solid tuning between the fine tuning screws and the string lock screws appearing to have lots of "play" in them, and maybe the mechanism in general is just worn out. Does it make any sense to upgrade this old Gotoh Floyd with new fancy parts or should I simply just buy a new genuine German-made Floyd? Also, how do I know what model of Floyd would replace it? (It is a non-recessed model) I should note that I already put a big brass block on it which was cool for the tone, but performance wise it has no impact on the tuning stability, etc.

Thanks!

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Recessed or non-recessed, it's the same bridge.

Measure the stud spacing to be sure of what bridge to buy.

Outside of the German-made models, which are the gold standard, Gotoh makes a Floyd now that is pretty highly regarded and affordable.

NotScott

Reaction score
The primary benefit of the German Floyds is the quality steel they make the parts from. The licensed Floyds I have experienced are typically made from Chinesium, sound thin and have broken, bent or stripped parts every other month. I have an old German Floyd from 1981 that I have used since then that is still going strong with all of the original parts. I replaced the Jackson licensed Floyd on my Charvel several years ago after I used up my stash of replacement Jackson screws that would strip every other string change. The German Floyd is still going strong.

One thing to check, particularly on old warhorses with tuning issues and locking nuts is how secure the nut is affixed to the neck. After repeated dive bombs and other whammy abuses, that nut may work itself loose a bit and create havoc with your tuning. It will drive you crazy until you fix it. Don't ask me how I know. :doh:

Crow Town

Reaction score
I just put an Original on my EVH Wolfgang Standard and very glad that I did. The Special would hold pretty good tune, but "clunky" is the word to describe its feel and response.

The Original is much more smooth, responsive and will do a very nice "flutter" which the Special and a couple of licensed Jackson Floyds I have would not.

redking

Reaction score
Ok guys, twist my rubber arm - I guess replacement is the only smart choice here! Thanks for all of your input.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Here's a trick I have used on Gotoh floyd like creatures. Replace the posts with new ones, and file the "knife edge". A few passes of a file can make if feel almost like new again.
Or, just buy a German Floyd.

Latest Threads