Floyd Rose nut radius issue

surge98

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just being too picky with my setup preferences, but I have a Musikraft neck with a 12-16" compound radius, designed for an Original Floyd Rose nut with a 10" radius. I had assumed any issues with using a 10" radius nut on a neck that is 12" at the first fret would be minimal, since there are a number of guitars that do this. Using my StewMac nut slotting gauge, I'm measuring a height of .022 on the G string and .02 on the D. While these aren't crazy high measurements, I would never leave the slots that high on a standard nut. I would typically aim for somewhere around .013-.014. My other Floyd necks came from Warmoth with a 10-16" compound radius, and can be dialed in perfectly at the nut.

So my question is, would I be crazy to use a small V-shaped diamond file on a hardened steel nut to knock down those slots a tiny bit? The nut shelf was actually a little high when I received the neck, I carefully took it down a bit until the other four strings were set at the proper height. So I don't want to lower the shelf any further, and I've already shimmed the saddles to account for the compound radius. Has anyone ever run into this problem with a locking nut? Thanks.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah, you've done all you can if you have both E strings at their lowest possible action. I would not cut into the steel nut. That will be a rabbit hole.

smk506

Reaction score
I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that nut is surface hardened. Take off that hardened surface and you leave just regular steel which I imagine the strings will eventually chew up pretty properly.

Latest Threads