Floyd Rose nut buzz

tache3

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking for some opinions, if anyone can find a minute to comment it would be appreciated.

I have a problem with a Floyd nut. Its a common problem, namely a sitar like buzzing when some of the strings are open. The first course of action was to check the clearance between the open string and the first fret, this came in at 1/32 which was a little too low for my taste anyway so with the use of StewMac's brass nut shims I doubled this to 2/32 (or 1/16 if you prefer). This had no effect on the problem.

For the record, the guitar is string with EB Power Slinky's tuned down half a step, relief is just under 0.020 (measured at the 7th fret with a capo on the 1st and the string at last fret held down), action at 15th (again with capo at 1st) is 4/32. There is no buzz anywhere else on the neck, by the way.

On inspecting the nut more closely, there were slight grooves on the underside of the clamps and the nut itself so I replaced it with a brand new R3 nut and the problem remained- but strangely enough on different strings.

My working hypothesis is now that the nut slots on the fingerboard side of the nuts are cut too low and there is not enough break angle as the string leaves the clamp and they are therefore rattling around in the slots. Am I clutching at straws here or does anyone have any ideas?

Any help greatly appreciated.

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
push down on the strings right in front of the nut and look to see if they move up and down in the v groove.

I suspect that the string is not touching the base of the groove whith the clamps installed...

now.. also.. how do you have the blocks installed.. the ridge at the top of the blocks needs to be inline with the strings, not perpendicular to them.. about 75% of the time i get a complaint about this type of buzz in my shop, its becasue the customer has the blocks installed wrong.

tache3

Reaction score
push down on the strings right in front of the nut and look to see if they move up and down in the v groove.

I suspect that the string is not touching the base of the groove whith the clamps installed...

now.. also.. how do you have the blocks installed.. the ridge at the top of the blocks needs to be inline with the strings, not perpendicular to them.. about 75% of the time i get a complaint about this type of buzz in my shop, its becasue the customer has the blocks installed wrong.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yep, the blocks are installed correctly so I therefore agree with your suspicions. I can't see the string move with the naked eye but then I can't see lots of small, close up details with my eyes these days...will check with a magnifier later.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
sorry I have about 25 guitars with Floyd Rose Originals and it is not a common problem ;)

check the saddle since already shimmed and replaced the nut.

Mike K

Reaction score
I agree with Shawn, its not common, I too have a lot of Floyr equipped guitars and happened a few times. the nut has grooves just replace it.

Latest Threads