Floyd Rose into a Hardtail?

jw3571

Reaction score
I have a Jackson Soloist that has a Floyd Rose. They are just such a pain in the butt to deal with. What are my options? Can I block the tree and then not use the locking tuners? What are my options?

Deftone

Reaction score
People who don't like Floyds probably should not own Floyds. Derp.

Floyd.JPG

BadPenguin

Reaction score
You could go with a Tremeno. They work great. OR cut two pieces of wood and solve the issue for $80 less.

Last edited:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
If you don't like the Floyd and want to get rid of the locking nut as well,
sell that baby and get something you connect with.
Otherwise it will always be an almost guitar and they are the worst to own.

Life is short, don't compromise!
:thumb:

Chuckracer

Reaction score
There is a nut available from somebody that replaces the Floyd locking nut with no mods. A well blocked Floyd bridge is still a good bridge, or you could go with a non fine tuner floyd and block that. That would be slick.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I don’t have any guitars with Floyds. Used to have one. Didn’t like it and sold it. But I have a few with Fender-style trems and I am not a trem player at all. For these I order “trem blockers” from Amazon or eBay. These install by screws and are located beneath the springs. These little units have bolts that can be adjusted into contact with the trem’ s tone block. With the spring adjustment very tight, a bond between the tone block and the guitar body is formed. I feel tone and sustain is improved. This should work on a Floyd.

Last edited:

dspelman

Reaction score
I have a Jackson Soloist that has a Floyd Rose. They are just such a pain in the butt to deal with. What are my options? Can I block the tree and then not use the locking tuners? What are my options?
It's always simpler to find a guitar without the Floyd Rose.
The other option is to learn to use a Floyd, which should eliminate a few of the "pain in the butt" problems.

Over the years (and with a lot of OFRs on currently-owned guitars), I've done a couple of things. One, I'll often remove all of the strings and pull the FR out of the guitar when changing strings. Then I'll drop a dirty FR into an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner while I clean and maintain the guitar. I learned to load up the clean FR with all six strings *outside* of the guitar and then replace it and string up the tuners from there. Faster and far easier than changing strings one at a time, as is suggested by some YouTubers who are obviously afraid of the trem.

I've come to peace with the fact that an FR-equipped guitar is not a great choice for the folks who want to change tuning every song. Unless that guitar is a Line 6 Variax JTV-89F. This is the only Variax with an FR, and the Variax firmware allows you to change the output of each individual string to whatever you like, give or take an octave or so. Since you can do this with a rotary switch or a single stomp to a new user selection on an HD500X or Helix (assuming you're hooked up with their VDI cable), alternate tunings are a breeze.

I have a number of LPs equipped with FRs (heresy to the traditionalists) because they're a great way to overcome the "keeping it in tune" hurdles of the basic design. Nut issues are eliminated, as are the bridge issues that Bigsbys run into.

Reactions: tzd

jw3571

Reaction score
When you guys say it stays in tune for a long period of time, how long are you talking about. Mine goes out of tune if I leave it out for an hour after playing. It also goes out of tune while i'm playing it, and i'm not even using the whammy bar.

hbucker

Reaction score
I like Floyd’s, but won’t use one that’s floating - for the tuning issues described. - Not worth it to me. Blocked or resting on the top of the guitar, they stay in tune very well. Fine tuners are more than adequate to make infrequent small adjustments.

Most seem to like them floating, which I don’t get, but it’s all good…

Peter M

Reaction score
When you guys say it stays in tune for a long period of time, how long are you talking about. Mine goes out of tune if I leave it out for an hour after playing. It also goes out of tune while i'm playing it, and i'm not even using the whammy bar.
Sounds like your Floyd is either defective or not set up right. My Floyds would stay in tune essentially all the time, with occasional fine tuning needed after heavy bar use - which is normal.

Last edited:

jw3571

Reaction score
I'll try getting a Tremel No and see what happens.

Zungle

Reaction score
-

Depending on how much its played my Warmoth SS will stay in tune or at least striking distance for literal months.....maybe requiring a tweak here or there on fine tuners.

Last edited:

Latest Threads