Floyd Rose Install Question!

bcguitars74

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm at the beginning of a through-neck build and drawing up plans in the hope that it will reduce the usual amount of messing-up, head-scratching and damage mitigation that accompanies my sometimes gung-ho building attitude :)

Im looking at installing a FR and iIdeally I would have liked a template from the manufacturer showing the rout lines and mounting stud location in relation to the intonation line but this doesn't seem to exist :/

Would someone be so kind as to confirm whether the following info I've found after trawling the net is correct?

>> The mounting stud centres should be located 10.5 mm (or 0.415") forward (towards the headstock) from the intonation line, 74 mm apart. <<

Many thanks!
Ben

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Paging @Skyjerk, we have a Floyd rose question.
He has done several builds with them and can probably answer your question.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
I dont base the stud locations on an "intonation line". I dont even know if thats a real thing since every string has a different length to proper intonation ;)

In the case of a 25.5" scale length, and an "Original Floyd Rose" tremolo (not a licensed version) I locate the studs at 25.03" from the nut, spaced exactly 2.9" (73.66mm) center to center.

61LPSG

Reaction score
Paging @Skyjerk, we have a Floyd rose question.
He has done several builds with them and can probably answer your question.
Exactly, and he also does neck-through builds. He will help you .

Deftone

Reaction score
I found this information in Dan Erlewine's book.

bcguitars74

Reaction score
Hmm, I have that book, never thought of looking in there as it's repair/setup as opposed to build ..

I dont base the stud locations on an "intonation line". I dont even know if thats a real thing since every string has a different length to proper intonation ;)

In the case of a 25.5" scale length, and an "Original Floyd Rose" tremolo (not a licensed version) I locate the studs at 25.03" from the nut, spaced exactly 2.9" (73.66mm) center to center.
Sorry I meant the scale line :rolleyes: and I totally take your point about the intonation line ;)

Thank you for your measurements and of course your off-thread template-sharing help!

Cheers
Ben

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
Hmm, I have that book, never thought of looking in there as it's repair/setup as opposed to build ..

Sorry I meant the scale line :rolleyes: and I totally take your point about the intonation line ;)

Thank you for your measurements and of course your off-thread template-sharing help!

Cheers
Ben
Remember, the deal,was you have to share pix of your build :)

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Yes any thread in this corner is useless without pics