Fleet of CC # 15 at Dave's

boyscout

GAS study patient member
Reaction score
Dave's Guitar Shop has packed in a fleet of Collectors Choice #15, the Greg Martin 58/59.

Hard to avoid cynicism. I was a fan and am an owner of some of the early CCs, but the array of tops on the sixteen CC#15 guitars on view at Dave's is pretty amazing considering that they are all supposed to be replicas of one guitar. The tops on these replicas are everything from full quilt to zebra-stripe to I-don't-know-what-that-mess-is.

Gibson Custom Shop - Dave's Guitar Shop

Everything BUT plaintop, which you'd think would be easy to do!! Scroll down in the thread linked below to see what Greg Martin's guitar actually looks like:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vintage-les-pauls/144984-greg-martins-58-burst.html

Makes ya wonder if anyone at Gibson actually gives a crap anymore.

FUS44

Reaction score
When it comes to accuracy, most people conveniently ignore the top.
Tough to sell 6K PT's. PRLeS.

Alvinfan

Reaction score
Makes ya wonder if anyone at Gibson actually gives a crap anymore.

I wonder too and think that Gibson will have red numbers when they look back at 2015.
The ridiculesness about the "true Historics" and the weird 2015 Standard, the extreme overpricing
and a strong $ that hurts the European market further ect......

Rodmac

Reaction score
I got flamed for raising that point on another thread. The tops and wear marks are all over the shop on that Greg Martin run, ludicrous. The C/S had clear pics to go by yet the wear marks on some were completely missing from others. CC guitars are supposed to be cosmetic replica's of the original, particularly wear and rub marks. Painstaking replicas according to Gibson, especially at that premium.

Just checked the Fender C/S Lefty Strats..... WTF where is Fender getting their wood from now.... over 11lbs each !!! :shock: for a Strat.

boyscout

GAS study patient member
Reaction score
I got flamed for raising that point on another thread. The tops and wear marks are all over the shop on that Greg Martin run, ludicrous. The C/S had clear pics to go by yet the wear marks on some were completely missing from others. CC guitars are supposed to be cosmetic replica's of the original, particularly wear and rub marks. Painstaking replicas according to Gibson, especially at that premium. <snip>

Yeah, let the flamers flame. Matching a figured top is tough; we're used to CCs not looking identical to their forbears but Martin's guitar is nearly plain fer gawds sake! A couple of the sixteen at Dave's look like tops that should only be shipped under black stain or gold paint. There are a couple of strong QUILTs there. Etc. If Custom Shop is just slapping on any old top and not bothering to age accurately, what other corners are they cutting?

goldtop0

Reaction score
Saw a latest CC#5 on the other forum that also ain't like the original or others that we've seen from the run so far..... save for the reddish brown finish......pretty disappointing for the new owner I would think.

geddy402

Reaction score
This one is hard to understand. Why not just make them aged R9s instead of CCs? Maybe labeling them as CCs allows them to limit the number of official R9 that are being made. By the way, do these have the TH specs?

jamman

Reaction score
It's pain to Gibson,,, Having Customers like some of us who actually want a Plain Top ...... 'Cause Gibson knows Figured Maple is what SELLS .

Source Plain, Good looking (grained)Maple Tops and sell it for 6K ???? That's really not an Issue . Many (almost all) who buy Archtop guitars pay a whole lot more then that for theirs .. LP buyers are pegged out into a certain group (or so it seems) Don't like(fit) the mold ,, Don't buy it . Gibson couldn't care any less . .Proof you want ???
Well ,,Show me a 2015 CC plain top CC#15 .....

The tops on these new CC#15 ain't R9 level . And Can't sell them to Keep the Dream alive and get you(those)to pay 6K+ for owning 1 with a COA saying it's an Investment quality Instrument and as humanly possible ,close to the Original .

In Reality ,Gibson is schooling Everyone about what HYPE IS AND SHOULD BE . :thumb:
I'm not saying Gibson isn't making good guitar these days , Just that the level of BS is at an all time High ..... Stay Tuned (Pun intended) There's more to come .Which has already started ..,Some 2015 USA Guitars are already out in the Market ..CS Guitars will be next

BTW ,A lot of Plain Maple is going onto Memphis 335's now . So ,,,,,:wow::cool:

Alvinfan

Reaction score
Source Plain, Good looking (grained)Maple Tops and sell it for 6K ???? That's really not an Issue .

I think it is an issue, since Gibson produced the CC "Black Burst" and have dealers sell it at $ 7399 (Hurry Wildwood only have 5 left) !
And even an aged "True" Historic at $ 9399 :wow:(also at Wildwood) !
So the rationale must be : It is not only big tops that can sell at big money : WRONG AGAIN GIBSON !
As much as I love their products, I have to say Gibson is on a totally wrong course on many levels,
and in a capitalist system where the bottom line is God, I think they will be forced to realize that shortly.

Drew1986

Reaction score
I'm sure they're good guitars but they look absolutely nothing like Hank.

mrfett

Gibson AF
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
it looks like they've given up on the original CC idea and have made them into just slightly higher priced R9s, no? like they're R9s with some cool aging.

jlb32

Reaction score
Anymore it seems Gibson goes to great lengths to build a nice prototype and make the Original owner happy. Once all the paperwork and terms with the Original owner are cleared and the actual production run starts they put out whatever they wish.

Many of the CC #15's Dave's has are great looking guitars. They just look nothing like the Original they are suppose to be representing.

LPSol93

Reaction score
I think Dave ordered them to have more flame and figure.

jamman

Reaction score
I think it is an issue, since Gibson produced the CC "Black Burst" and have dealers sell it at $ 7399 (Hurry Wildwood only have 5 left) !
And even an aged "True" Historic at $ 9399 :wow:(also at Wildwood) !
So the rationale must be : It is not only big tops that can sell at big money : WRONG AGAIN GIBSON !
As much as I love their products, I have to say Gibson is on a totally wrong course on many levels,
and in a capitalist system where the bottom line is God, I think they will be forced to realize that shortly.

Yeah with those Ebony tops , at least you get a pic of what's underneath .:laugh2:

I was referring to all the Jazz boxes , with Plain tops .Gibson seem s to find it (yes I know it's spruce) and their prices make LP's look like a bargain ,imo :wow:

Also It's not correct using, IMO, the MAP prices . Most aren't sold at it (my understanding ,anyway) and most buyers ain't telling what they did pay , Why ??? You ask,,,,, RE-SALE Time ..protection

"rationale" , NON to be found really,,,,:lol: irrational ,I agree with :lol: Same as any year .think about those 5K R's . that's really crazy ,but we still buy'em :laugh2:

jlb32

Reaction score
I think Dave ordered them to have more flame and figure.

That is possible that is what Dave wanted but these are CC models. It's a guitar that is suppose to be based on and "painstakingly" represent a certain Original Burst.

Not sure how a dealer ordering them how he wants them, that doesn't look anything like the Original, can be considered "painstakingly" representing a CC model and be purchased with a CC COA.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
16 CC15's! At one dealer. Wow. Having played 2 CC15's they're decent, but even the ones I played were no where near a plaintop. If I didn't have what I have already when 15 came out, I may have been enticed, but now, I wouldn't be interested at all.

Now, regarding other stuff recently out and tops and original closeness... I"m sure both of these guitars are really nice. One of the following is a TH R9 and the other is CC5.

uDVDfLj.jpg

AqiQ4nE.jpg

To me, they look like two different R9's, and as I said, I'm sure they are both great, but IMHO, the CC5 isn't standing out enough against the TH to get me to want it. Mine is literally almost the same color. (my TH that is). On these pics alone I would go with the TH over CC5. That's just me.

Thanks for the 'other' place for the owner posting them, as I lovingly borrowed them to side by side them here.

geddy402

Reaction score
I saw that pic over at the other forum and it didn't excite me. But, the Donna at Rainbow music, now that one looks awesome.

jlb32

Reaction score
After all the hype for CC#5 Donna, I'm just not seeing the results personally. Definitely not a bad looking guitar but the few CC#5's I've seen so far just don't do much for me.

goldtop0

Reaction score
After all the hype for CC#5 Donna, I'm just not seeing the results personally. Definitely not a bad looking guitar but the few CC#5's I've seen so far just don't do much for me.

Look at the one at Rainbow......it's a killer.....but I'd have to admit that that is the only one that gets me all worked up:laugh2:

Latest Threads