Flatwounds on an LP Studio?

KA9INV

Reaction score
Just what the title says. I recently bought an Ibanez AF71F archtop. It came with flatwound strings, and I am in love with how they feel. (Amazing how much easier bends seem on regular strings now...)

Anyway, any thoughts on using flatwounds on a solid body? I don't want to string up my LP with them and then discover they don't work well with it...

TIA!

Reaction score
I use GHS Brite Flats on my Les Paul. A bit brighter than other flatwounds and still have that smooth flatwound feel.

Merkin

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm another that has them on my Jazzmaster - I just love the feel of them

Deftone

Reaction score
Never tried flatwounds before but they were on my ES-135 when I bought it and i really liked the way they felt. I'm not a Jazz player but I am intrigued. I'd like to know more about them.

sonar1

Reaction score
Never tried flatwounds before but they were on my ES-135 when I bought it and i really liked the way they felt. I'm not a Jazz player but I am intrigued. I'd like to know more about them.
Not every guitar will sound “right” with every iteration of flatwound strings out there, but they bring something to the party sometimes.
If they work they work great (for a certain sound).
On the other hand, I’ve been known to cut them off within 20 minutes of tuning up, if the atmospherics are bad on a certain day.

pillbug

Reaction score
They're great for jazz but be careful you don't get caught doing string bends, because there is NO BENDING in Jazz.:eek2:
Jazz with string bends is called Blues.:naughty:

BKS

Reaction score
Once bought a samick rl4 royale that came with flatwounds, before that i only had them on a fretless bass (awesome). Really Love the feel, i have a set i would really want to try on one of my les pauls or even strats... Not done so yet. Replaced the rl4 for a san-450 with flatwounds on now....other guitar will follow, so i keep reading here.

Latest Threads