Flashlights

Pennyman

Reaction score
I recently decided that I need a decent flashlight. (We're heading on a 5-day class trip next week, we have night walks and such, I've never had a good "torch" with me on previous trips...) I did some researching, and I quickly realised, I had no idea how complex and competitive the world of flashlights has become.

AND expen$ive.

Yada yada Google search yada yada many websites yada yada video reviews yada yada...

I had no idea there were so many categories of flashlights. It was like going down the rabbit hole.

"Long throw! Cool! I can blind people in a 38th-story apartment over 1,000m away!"

Just. Wow.

I settled on the Lumintop EDC 25 (Every Day Carry) . Gonna be delivered sometime this week.

So, flashlight enthusiasts (and I know you're out there.)

What's in YOUR bag?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Working in theatre, everyone must have a flashlight as standard tool kit. Ive had 3 or four mini-maglights over the past almost 30 years. Last year I got a Nitecore MH12. I love it! I was looking for LED, adjustable brightness from dim to super bright (and it is bright!) USB recharable.....but the MOST important thing to me was because I have to carry it at all times it has to fit comfortably in my pocket. I didn't want it to be any larger than the old maglight.

https://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecore-MH12-1000-Lumen-LED-Flashlight-p/fl-nite-mh12.htm

Last edited:

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
I have a Nitecore MH1A, and I love it. It’s been my EDC for a couple years now. Solid as a tank, very bright, variable brightness, rechargeable via USB, pretty damn good battery life and can be used as a weapon in a pinch...

Cheers

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
There's a long thread here from a while back. I took the same walk.
Who knew there were flashlight forums! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Good to know there's a possible retirement gig out there for the Lt. when the time comes.

I've got Freddy's nitecore. Love the light, not as impressed with the USB charging as I had hoped. I probably would have preferred the one X has.

Your choice looks cool.

You should have waited a couple of weeks and told Santa!

Last edited:

Pennyman

Reaction score
There's a long thread here from a while back. I took the same walk...

I can't control the timing of our trip. Would if I could!

I think I remember seeing that thread and thinking, "I've no need for that..."

And here we are. :laugh2:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's a long thread here from a while back. I took the same walk.
Who knew there were flashlight forums! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Good to know there's a possible retirement gig out there for the Lt. when the time comes.

I've got Freddy's nitecore. Love the light, not as impressed with the USB charging as I had hoped. I probably would have preferred the one X has.

Your choice looks cool.

what's wrong with the USB charging?

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t even take a guess how many flashlights there are in my house, and I also could not find one right now if I tried. I lose every damn flashlight I’ve ever had. I would never pay more than a few bucks, because to me they are a disposable item.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I must have a dozen or so flashlights. The one I use most often is the flashlight app on my phone.

The others are generally inexpensive types like the AA and AAA maglites and other assorted brands. I have a couple headlamps and make sure I always have one when fishing or camping. I keep a small, single AAA flashlight in my shaving kit with the battery reversed. That way, if I am traveling and need one, I have one and the battery will be good to go.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I have an Executive Defender that my wife found in a hotel room. Great flashlight but REALLY expensive, and batteries are also a bit expensive. I've learned not to forget to turn it off...

Otherwise I have a 3 D cell Maglight as well as several of the small ones scattered around the house.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
The 3-D Maglite is an excellent club that can also serve as a flashlight, if needed.

If you have a tire iron handy in the passenger cabin of your car and happen to need it in a self defense situation, the other side (in the legal mess that will ensue) will use the fact that you keep a weapon in the car against you (despite the fact that most cars have a tire iron, but they are usually stored away). If you defend yourself with a flashlight, that argument is more difficult to make.

Fracture

Reaction score
Fenix / LD41 x 4
ld41-fenix-flashlight

one in each car (still need a 3rd)
one by the sleeping platform
one on the counter

if your patient, it pays to order direct from Zapals
takes about 3 weeks
but the price of two is less than $130 shipped

THDNUT

Reaction score
I bought one of these at Wal Mart for $20, 9 years ago. Now they're $9.95 on line.:shock:

Best flashlight I've ever owned. Runs on 4 AA alkaline batteries (included) for 10+ hours.

Bright as hell single LED. Illuminates things 200 yards away!

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I bought one of these at Wal Mart for $20, 9 years ago. Now they're $9.95 :shock:

Best flashlight I've ever owned. Runs on 4 AA alkaline batteries (included) for 10+ hours.

Bright as hell single LED. Illuminates things 200 yards away!

When I was a kid, I remember a fishing trip when one of the guys had a flashlight 'like' that and could bounce the beam off the clouds... I was impressed (not that it takes much to impress me). I suspect that several decades of tech improvement have made them even more impressive.

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Solar Powered Radio/Flashlight/Phone charger,....never needs a battery. It also has that folded up grey 'crank' in the front you can use to crank it up and charge it.

All across the top of the handle is solar cells,..or crank it. Either way makes it work. Flashlight built into the side. Radio built into the front (collapsible antennae in the back).

And once it's fully charged you can plug your phone into it and 'dump' the charge into the phone.

It's pretty cool. Definitely one of the neatest pieces of survival gear I've ever gotten. Had it a couple/few years now and I've never had a problem with it.

RedCrossEtonFRX3.jpg
81d7nmNCrxL._SY355_.jpg