Flame Top AAA vs Carved Maple

Soak13

Reaction score
Which top do you guys prefer from a looks and value to you standpoint?

I just find myself more attracted to the flame tops, and as a result would pay more for one over a Maple Top.

What say you?

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Figured tops are typically more desirable, buts that’s a highly person decision.

I personally prefer painted to plain transparent tops. I also typically prefer painted tops to figured transparent tops.

gball

Reaction score
Personally, not at all a fan of flamed/figured tops. They look like the tart's handbag to me. Plaintops all the way for the transluscent finishes.

Elmore

Reaction score
Yes, a traditional vintage flame top is carved, and maple, and flamed. The belly is considered desirable. But it is also a personal preference. I have a 1970 routed Les Paul Deluxe that has a flatter top with little to no flame that I enjoy as much as my more vintage style reissue.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
makes no difference to the playabilty.just find what you like the best.

James R

Reaction score
I tend to prefer a different category all together.
I like the subtle peekaboo type of flame where it almost appears to be a plain top from some angles and lighting, and then appears quite flamey(?) from others.

Best of both worlds.

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to prefer a different category all together.
I like the subtle peekaboo type of flame where it almost appears to be a plain top from some angles and lighting, and then appears quite flamey(?) from others.

Best of both worlds.
Da kine! :dude: :h5::applause:

A39274FC-649E-4B55-B038-565E61069E63.jpeg

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone here seems to think your thread title / question is plain vs flame.... I see it as flame vs carved... which makes no sense.... a flame top is carved... and so is plain.... and they are all maple. Except when it’s hog or some other wood.

I’ll have to vote both.... I think??

The truth is I like all tops.

Sunflake

Reaction score
Heavy flames and quilts. Never been a plain top guy. I love figured wood. Especially on shotguns.

Last edited:

moreles

Reaction score
I see it as flame vs carved... which makes no sense.... a flame top is carved... and so is plain.... and they are all maple.
You're right in all respects. Apparently, most posters didn't read the question correctly, and equally apparently, few posters, notably the OP, don't really know what flame is, or how the appearance of wood changes from its surface appearance when we carve into the interior.

James R

Reaction score
Everyone here seems to think your thread title / question is plain vs flame.... I see it as flame vs carved... which makes no sense.... a flame top is carved... and so is plain.... and they are all maple. Except when it’s hog or some other wood.

I’ll have to vote both.... I think??

The truth is I like all tops.
I just followed the flow of the thread.
I think everybody just sort of assumed that that's what the intent of the thread was. :dunno:

Latest Threads