Five piece top, 73 Custom

1981 LPC

Reaction score
cdpgm38b9q8bwowvm3f1.jpg

Don't often see these. I think they're cool.
https://reverb.com/item/27780297-gibson-les-paul-custom-1973

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Looks a lot better than I expected. The pieces are nicely paired up and of consistent width. They actually cared about making it look like something.

Eagle X

Reaction score
I'd call it the art of the cost-effective.

Who

Well respected man about town
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons Norlins were considered inferior.

Just because it’s old doesn’t change that.

SNick

Reaction score
Usually these were the guitars that had a solid paint job. Someone screwed up? Someone is going to try selling it as a rare one-off..... LOL

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons Norlins were considered inferior.
I don't have a great deal of experience with Norlin era guitars. I did own 2 and have had the opportunity to play a dozen or so. Outside of some of those being a little on the heavy side I don't remember thinking anything being inferior about them, But my experience is limited

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s funny that Alembic multi-piece necks and bodies weren’t considered inferior... neck thru design with 5 or more pieces.

Der_Kaiser

Reaction score
I love my norlin custom, but when I see a 5 piece top I just wonder why would they do that?

Don’t get me wrong it makes zero difference to how the guitar plays or sounds but it looks like they have used off cuts on the front of a burst finish of a premium guitar.

Why not paint it black or white, no let’s go with a nice sunburst finish on this 5 piece top!?

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Reaction score
I love my norlin custom, but when I see a 5 piece top I just wonder why would they do that?

Don’t get me wrong it makes zero difference to how the guitar plays or sounds but it looks like they have used off cuts on the front of a burst finish of a premium guitar.

Why not paint it black or white, no let’s go with a nice sunburst finish on this 5 piece top!?
Bowling was very popular in the ‘70s.... maybe a bowling fan sprayed this Custom.

I bet there are some other color codes printed in the cavities.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
It’s funny that Alembic multi-piece necks and bodies weren’t considered inferior... neck thru design with 5 or more pieces.
They weren't inferior because they were multi-piece.

They were inferior because they were Norlin ;)

Same with CBS Fender and AMF Harley Davidson.

Der_Kaiser

Reaction score
A refinish would make a lot of sense but if it is they’ve absolutely nailed the norlin burst colour.

Latest Threads