Fist les Paul build single or double action at is safer

Wesleychef

Reaction score
I know this question is up for debate but this is my first build on a neck and main goal is to have this playable . So do I do a 1959 sloping straight cut on a table saw " seems easy enough ". Or the straight non angled cut and install a double action truss rod " seem a touch easier !! Not interested in doing a curved channel I could see this getting messed up eaiser and I am not great with a router . Also what is more reliable to straighten out the neck do single action sometimes not work if there is a bow or what not, also my wood is very old so not worried about it twisting

atj

Reaction score
I know this question is up for debate but this is my first build on a neck and main goal is to have this playable . So do I do a 1959 sloping straight cut on a table saw " seems easy enough ". Or the straight non angled cut and install a double action truss rod " seem a touch easier !! Not interested in doing a curved channel I could see this getting messed up eaiser and I am not great with a router . Also what is more reliable to straighten out the neck do single action sometimes not work if there is a bow or what not, also my wood is very old so not worried about it twisting

Here is a thread with good information and some links in it as well
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/19329-truss-rod-channel-curve.html

I usually just do a tapered truss rod channel. The idea is that the rod runs parallel to the back of the neck, I have jig for this so maybe I don't remember the exact measurements but I think the rod at the anker sits
about 3-4 m deeper then it does at the nut. I find this isn't much more work then to use a dual action truss rod, plus you have the benefit of having maple spline on top of it rather then an exposed truss rod under the fingerboard.

Wesleychef

Reaction score
I think I'll go with the singl action I'll post how I do it I have an idea that does not involve building a jig just a couple pieces scrap wood and 6 small screws

Latest Threads