First week with first LP

tramp

Reaction score
Hello. I picked up my first LP just over a week ago, so I thought I'd share my first impressions for no reason what so ever. lol
I'm a long time Strat guy, so I was pretty exited about my first Gibson. Its a 2018 Traditional.

I finally got a chance to really get some quality time with it the last couple days. The action was way to low for my taste and the strings were pretty dull, so yesterday I changed out the strings, cleaned and oiled the fretboard and raised the action a touch. I thought it was a little quicker and simpler process than on my Strats, but I do like the individual saddle's on strats better, I think probably it's because that's just what I'm used to more than anything.

I'm digging the shorter scale length and sustain for days is pretty cool, however, being a Traditional, it weighs about as much as a small water buffalo. lol
I'm still working on finding the right tone with my main amp. The LP is a different animal than any of my other guitars, but that's part of the fun.

I posted a couple pics in the introductions section last week and here's a few more.
20200925_140440.jpg
20200925_154810.jpg
20200927_154333.jpg

So far I'm really digging this Les Paul, I'm still a Strat guy that just happens to have an LP, but It's definitely growing on me pretty quick, who knows, maybe I'll become a LP guy that has a few strats. Regardless, as long as I have a guitar and I'm making noise (good or bad) I'm a happy guy.
Be cool,
Tramp

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Learn the "clean neck, dirty bridge" trick with Les Pauls.
-Neck: tone on 10, and volume on around 6
-EQ the amp to get a non-muddy tone in the neck.
-Bridge: volume on 9-10 and tone to taste. Should be in the 5ish range.

Like so:

Mitch Pearrow 58

Reaction score
Hello. I picked up my first LP just over a week ago, so I thought I'd share my first impressions for no reason what so ever. lol
I'm a long time Strat guy, so I was pretty exited about my first Gibson. Its a 2018 Traditional.

I finally got a chance to really get some quality time with it the last couple days. The action was way to low for my taste and the strings were pretty dull, so yesterday I changed out the strings, cleaned and oiled the fretboard and raised the action a touch. I thought it was a little quicker and simpler process than on my Strats, but I do like the individual saddle's on strats better, I think probably it's because that's just what I'm used to more than anything.

I'm digging the shorter scale length and sustain for days is pretty cool, however, being a Traditional, it weighs about as much as a small water buffalo. lol
I'm still working on finding the right tone with my main amp. The LP is a different animal than any of my other guitars, but that's part of the fun.

I posted a couple pics in the introductions section last week and here's a few more. View attachment 491130 View attachment 491131 View attachment 491133

So far I'm really digging this Les Paul, I'm still a Strat guy that just happens to have an LP, but It's definitely growing on me pretty quick, who knows, maybe I'll become a LP guy that has a few strats. Regardless, as long as I have a guitar and I'm making noise (good or bad) I'm a happy guy.
Be cool,
Tramp
Congratulations that is a beautiful looking instrument.
Cheers
Mitch

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I suggest a W I D E heavy leather strap for Lesters... I still have my old heavy wide ass pickpocket strap from the early 80s or so. With that strap along with playing a touch higher than many folks, my old No swiss no nuttin heavies don't bother me and the wide leather contact surface doesn't let them shift..

Wide leather and a bit higher solves Lester fatigue and also great for neck diver basses too....along with heavy five skrang basses...

redcoats1976

Reaction score
good looking git.i know what you mean about the individual height adjustment (saddles) on a strat being a better design.i guess one could be built for the lester but it might be kinda ugly.

lpfan1980

Reaction score

I posted a couple pics in the introductions section last week and here's a few more. View attachment 491130 View attachment 491131 View attachment 491133

Be cool,
Tramp
Congratulations I started with Strats too then got 2 Les Pauls and a Tele all are different but enjoyable !

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s a badass les Paul :drool:

i tend to live in the neck or neck/middle pup if available...
u can get sounds from a neck humbucker les Paul that is completely unique...

but I tend to love southern rock as I grew up chasing this tone...nothing face melting about it...just awesome and unattainable on anything other than a lester

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So far I'm really digging this Les Paul, I'm still a Strat guy that just happens to have an LP, but It's definitely growing on me pretty quick, who knows, maybe I'll become a LP guy that has a few strats.

The secret is we're all Tele guys who dabble in LPs and Strats. :thumb:

Seriously though, congrats and enjoy! If a guitar makes you want to play then it's doing what it needs to do!

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
good looking git.i know what you mean about the individual height adjustment (saddles) on a strat being a better design.i guess one could be built for the lester but it might be kinda ugly.
I dunno, seems to me it wouldn't be that hard to engineer an individual height adjustment into a tune-o-matic bridge. It would be more expensive, and have a bunch of super tiny springs and set screws like a strat bridge, and probably not worth the trouble, but I'm sure it's do-able.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The secret is we're all Tele guys who dabble in LPs and Strats. :thumb:

Funny thing is, once you play a good Tele long enough through a good amp, that makes more and more sense.

For me, not referring to the narrow ass tiny radius (7.25 ?) necks, but flatter radius necks.... Slap it to the neck pickup through hot jugs, great google moogly.

I love all my Lesters, especially ol' Bessie Custom I bought used forty something years ago, but I love my Teles too... My unique 83 Phil Kubicki Custom build blows my mind. 15", ebony, brass, flame, bound top and back, red car paint just like he did at Fender CS, five way with another toggle, pickups custom wound two doors down from Phil by SD for that specific guitar, psychotic wiring for the time... A true Tele from hell.... Carla told me it was the only one Phil built like that in existence...and he didn't want to let it go...

Bessie and Red

sonar1

Reaction score
Hey howdy and welcome!
I was a Tele guy for decades, but in recent years got hearing aids: AND Gibson developed pickups that didn’t sound muddy to me anymore.

Also, modern amps that actually get new tubes and biased once in a while are GREAT for being able to hear some highs!

I hardly play anything but my LP’s and SG’s anymore.

moreles

Reaction score
Great looking guitar. As one who lived through the "heavier is better" era, several extra pounds don't really register on me, but since I don't personally hear a tonal upside to it, I do see why this aspect of many LPs is off-putting. I pick up my '87 reissue '61 LP/SG Custom (the 3 PU guitar that carried Les' name for a year or so) way more than my weighty goldtop. I really love rotating through my LP, SG, and Strat because they are all different and good in particular ways. I'm not so fussy that I need to have the "right" guitar for a particular song, etc. I just like the way each guitar stimulates you a little differently.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Read this. One of my favorite threads on this forum.

Latest Threads