First scratch build: Gibby/ESP Explorer hybrid

Troy McClure

Reaction score
Wow must have been a hard choice to cover up that body blank the wood looks amazing and I'm a fan of white guitars. If this is your first build only since October if it doesn't give you the building bug nothing will. Look forward to your next one.

img_0150-jpg.283610

failsafe306

Reaction score
Wow must have been a hard choice to cover up that body blank the wood looks amazing and I'm a fan of white guitars. If this is your first build only since October if it doesn't give you the building bug nothing will. Look forward to your next one.

img_0150-jpg.283610

Haha yes! I almost reconsidered my decision for an opaque finish after I saw how nice it looked after the sealer coat. But I’m the end, my desire to have my dream white Explorer won.

The bug has definitely has bitten me. I am planning out my next build already. I want to do a black explorer next. I salvaged and dismantled an old (like 1905-1910 old) piano that I believe to be made of Douglas Fir, and the boards just run like a bell when tapped. Should make a good body. I already have a mahogany neck roughly cut out and an ebony board blank.

failsafe306

Reaction score
I have decided to redo the paint on the neck where it meets up with the fretboard. The masking tape I originally used let some of the color seep up onto the board, and didn’t leave a crisp line. Also, there was a pretty thick and noticeable ridge where there as well, which was not very pleasant to feel. It has been bothering me for a while, and I knew that t would bug me forever if I didn’t at least try to fix it.

I sanded down the transition and masked it off for new paint. I’m hoping that I can blend it into the existing color already on the neck. Here’s a couple of photos of before.
E86B5F54-52F7-4DD1-9B37-0993D15578ED.png
EBA2E9B6-A122-464A-B0E9-4158850A1746.png

failsafe306

Reaction score
There isn't much going on around the house today. Daughter is at a birthday party, son is napping, wife is at the hobby store. Explorer is hanging in the guest bathroom, drying. I have 9 coats on a this point. I plan on level sanding and spraying the last coat or two of thinned out lacquer tomorrow.
IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0409.jpg

failsafe306

Reaction score
I just put the last coat of clear on about an hour ago. I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out so far. It should polish up pretty nicely.

I thinned out the Behlens 1:1 for the last coat. For the build coats, I used a mix of 2:1, based on some recommendations I found while researching. These ratios seem to work will with my spray setup. I don't really see any reason to change it up for the next build, which of course, I've been planning for weeks now. :D

Now she just needs to sit and dry for 30 days, and then I get to experience the joys of cutting and polishing!

note: I use spray booth filters in front of the fans, they were just removed at this point since I was done spraying. I try to be somewhat of a conscientious neighbor.
IMG-0422.JPG

failsafe306

Reaction score
Another week of waiting to buff out the clear coat and assemble. I had some free time today, so I went ahead and shielded the control cavity. I picked up a roll of .003" copper from Hobby Lobby and glued it with 3M spray glue. Continuity test was good without needing to solder any of the pieces together!
IMG-0526.JPG
IMG-0527.JPG

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Wow. I'm not normally a fan of Explorers, but I sure do like this one. Great stuff!

failsafe306

Reaction score
IMG-0633.JPG
IMG-0632.JPG
IMG-0630.JPG
IMG-0631.JPG
IMG-0624.JPG
Done! My wife shot some quick picks me trying it out for the first time. All I can say is that it turned out much better than I expected it to when I started. It's such a satisfying feeling to finally play a guitar that you built out of rough planks of wood!

Last edited:

Hangers

Reaction score
Well done Sir! How does it sound plugged in?

bcguitars74

Reaction score
Wow! Done and dusted in 2 pages of forum !! Beautiful! How does it look after the fretboard / neck transition repaint?

Latest Threads