First Real Gig, SV20H/1965B

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
Last weekend I did my first real, full band (three piece) gig using my SV20H through a 4x10, 1965B loaded with the original 94db, G10L-35 speakers. I was actually able to get away with the amp fully cranked into it's sweet spot and not be too loud, even without using an attenuator. Yeah, it could certainly COULD get just a tad "too loud" if I wasn't carefully judicious with my playing dynamics, but this amp's ability to get overdriven sounds even at relatively low guitar volume settings is absoultely amazing! Even my most critical and truthful compadres swore up and down that I was not too loud and my amp was even leaked a fair bit into the PA.

Settings, with channels jumped and guitar into hi gain input of the HIGH TREBLE channel:

Presence 5.5, Bass 4, Middle dimed, Treble 8.75, HIGH TREBLE VOLUME dimed & NORMAL VOLUME 8.75. Only effects (other than a wah) were occasional chorus in front of the amp and a Lexicon MX300 through the loop for reverb and tap tempo delay/echo.

While several months of use have shown that this amp does sound a tiny bit better through my '72, 1960B loaded with G12M/25 watt/75Hz Greenbacks (which actually work out to still be "Pre Rola" with the updated stickers on the backs), that cabinet makes the amp just that much louder to require at least a small to fair amount of attenuation. It's odd that the 4db to 5db rated increase in sensitivity of the G12Ms over the G10L-35s seems to be actually a bit more dramatic than the numbers might imply. Possibly the bigger box of the 1960B has a bit to do with that?

Anyway, I've found that once I dial in the absolutely most stellar, single coil Strat sound I could ever hope for, a stock style Tele falls right into place, along with a humbucker Les Paul being absolutely "MONSTROUS!" All across the board, feedbacks and harmonic overtone goodness for days!

And oh yeah, once dialed in, I didn't touch a knob on the amp for the whole show!

Happily Screechin' & Squawkin' Through My SV20H,
Gene

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,
Last weekend I did my first real, full band (three piece) gig using my SV20H through a 4x10, 1965B loaded with the original 94db, G10L-35 speakers. I was actually able to get away with the amp fully cranked into it's sweet spot and not be too loud, even without using an attenuator. Yeah, it could certainly COULD get just a tad "too loud" if I wasn't carefully judicious with my playing dynamics, but this amp's ability to get overdriven sounds even at relatively low guitar volume settings is absoultely amazing! Even my most critical and truthful compadres swore up and down that I was not too loud and my amp was even leaked a fair bit into the PA.

Settings, with channels jumped and guitar into hi gain input of the HIGH TREBLE channel:

Presence 5.5, Bass 4, Middle dimed, Treble 8.75, HIGH TREBLE VOLUME dimed & NORMAL VOLUME 8.75. Only effects (other than a wah) were occasional chorus in front of the amp and a Lexicon MX300 through the loop for reverb and tap tempo delay/echo.

While several months of use have shown that this amp does sound a tiny bit better through my '72, 1960B loaded with G12M/25 watt/75Hz Greenbacks (which actually work out to still be "Pre Rola" with the updated stickers on the backs), that cabinet makes the amp just that much louder to require at least a small to fair amount of attenuation. It's odd that the 4db to 5db rated increase in sensitivity of the G12Ms over the G10L-35s seems to be actually a bit more dramatic than the numbers might imply. Possibly the bigger box of the 1960B has a bit to do with that?

Anyway, I've found that once I dial in the absolutely most stellar, single coil Strat sound I could ever hope for, a stock style Tele falls right into place, along with a humbucker Les Paul being absolutely "MONSTROUS!" All across the board, feedbacks and harmonic overtone goodness for days!

And oh yeah, once dialed in, I didn't touch a knob on the amp for the whole show!

Happily Screechin' & Squawkin' Through My SV20H,
Gene
We’re you on the 5w side?

The Ballzz

Reaction score
We’re you on the 5w side?

Nope! Full on 20 glorious Marshall watts!

And in reality this was not an actual "paying gig" but instead a private pool party with less than 100 people. There was however a full PA with subs and everything miked. We do a strange setup, when using our own PA. We set up with the PA "behind" the band. Given that I've made my whole life's career/income either playing guitar and singing or at the mixing console (many times the monitor console) as an engineer, my EQ skills are pretty spot on and we never have feedback. There are several other benefits to this arrangement:

> The PA provides the most stellar "monitor" system you could ever ask for. Singing drummer does get the only monitor wedge on stage (for clarity), given that he is generally in between the main stacks.
> We are NEVER too loud for the venue.
> We get to hear the same mix as the audience!
> No "back wash" of the monitors, ruining the mix to the audience.
> Even when we go to a venue with a more standard PA setup, we are a piece of cake to mix, as our stage volume is so controlled and we are a simple three piece!

Just My Ways,
Gene

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
I never had a 1965B but I did have a similar year 1965A, which was really a single piece slant baffle rather than a 2-piece slant baffle. I would have liked to tried a cabinet such as yours. There's a really nice full stack pair for sale on FB, kind of far away for me at that price level, though. If I got those speakers, I'd have to get either an SV20H or SC20H to pair with it.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I never had a 1965B but I did have a similar year 1965A, which was really a single piece slant baffle rather than a 2-piece slant baffle. I would have liked to tried a cabinet such as yours. There's a really nice full stack pair for sale on FB, kind of far away for me at that price level, though. If I got those speakers, I'd have to get either an SV20H or SC20H to pair with it.

From my experience, the one piece slant baffle sounds mostly identical to the straight cab, as opposed to the two piece baffle units! As mentioned earlier, my 1960B 4x12 does sound a couple notches better, but louder!
Pinball Lovin'
Gene

rxbandit

Reaction score
I love my SV20H (paired with 2x12 cab), it's been such a great addition. Been my gigging amp the last couple of years, sounds phenomenal and is a joy to play. Have gotten a lot of compliments about it.

Latest Threads