First Post and Late NGDs - Two Early 80's Tokai LS's

edwardn222

Reaction score
Hello there people of MLP, I've been a lurker on the forum for over a year and hadn't posted until now because I didn't really have anything to add or document considering my gear was lack luster and there are far more knowledgeable people than I on this forum, however, after being in the market for a higher end Les Paul and missing out on a local R8 deal in August, I took the plunge on an '81 Tokai LS100s OR in fantastic condition. The guitar arrived and upon pulling it out of the case, had surpassed any and every expectation I'd had for it. It just felt...nice. Like the people who built it really cared about what they were doing. I'd never been scared or intimidated to hold a guitar before, but it's safe to say that I was terrified to hold this guitar, let alone play it. A couple months and a couple dings that made me want to vomit later, I realized I had no business playing the 100 and began looking for more of a players grade guitar.

I was keeping my eyes out for a beat up historic when a 1980 LS80 with a headstock break showed up for sale a couple hours away from me. I decided to go check it out, and upon arriving, noticed this subtle, yet beautifully figured top that didn't really show up in the original photos. The guitar also felt really played in. The finish on the back of the neck had been smoothed off from playing as well as the binding edges feeling nicely worn. Considering those factors, as well as the guitar having a rather thick neck (which i find to be enjoyable), she came home with me! I was then, and still am the proud owner of two cool old Tokais. Unfortunately, both of the guitars do need some work: bridges collapsed on both, the nut slots have been worn/filed too low, and the LS80 is going to need a refret (unfortunately going to lose the nibs, but she sure will play a lot better for me after!). I ended up buying faber abrm's with unnotched saddles for both, and am going to be taking the guitars in to a local shop this week!

With the story out of the way, I'd like to thank the active participants of this forum, and specifically the Other Single-Cuts sub-forum, for creating such a good reference/guide for those who are less knowledgeable in the world of mij guitars. I know I've learned a lot and I'm sure plenty of inactive members/google searchers have too. Now, time for a few photos! I messed around with my mom's dslr, of which I have no clue how to use, but still managed to get a couple photos better than what I could take with my phone...thanks for stopping by!
image0 (2).jpeg
image0 (2) copy.jpeg
image0 (2) copy 2.jpeg

smk506

Reaction score
Those are real beauties, I’m sure you’ll get a lot of satisfaction out of the two of them.

Latest Threads