First Post and a question!

Aligirl

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post and I am glad to be here. I do have a question: What is the difference between a Les Paul "standard" and a Les Paul "traditional"? I have looked at many of the photographs posted here and cannot point to one thing that sets them apart. I thought that maybe the traditionals had the pickup guard, yet I see photographs of standards with the guards on them. I have a Les Paul Studio with a plus top and am thinking of upgrading, but before I do that it would help to know the differences between the traditional and standard and why one might be better than the other. Thank you :wave: Ali

budg

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post and I am glad to be here. I do have a question: What is the difference between a Les Paul "standard" and a Les Paul "traditional"? I have looked at many of the photographs posted here and cannot point to one thing that sets them apart. I thought that maybe the traditionals had the pickup guard, yet I see photographs of standards with the guards on them. I have a Les Paul Studio with a plus top and am thinking of upgrading, but before I do that it would help to know the differences between the traditional and standard and why one might be better than the other. Thank you :wave: Ali
Traditionals are the "old" standards , before they changed the specs. They have a 50s neck , 57 classic pickups and come with the pick guard on. The Standard has a compound radius neck , locking tuners, Burstbucker pickups with coil taps , etc.

BigDaddySlim

Reaction score
Welcome and I don't know every difference and I hope others with more knowledge will chime in on this but back in 2008 Gibson split the Les Paul Standard into two groups. The Les Paul Standard, and the Les Paul Traditional. Since 2008 the Les Paul Standard has had a PCB (electronic board), Burst Bucker pickups, asymmetrical neck, compound radius fret board, locking tuners, and allegedly better tops.

The Les Paul Traditionals are closer to what the Les Paul Standard was prior to 2008 and usually have no PCB, different pickups (57 and 57 classic I think), a thicker non-asymmetrical neck, a 12" radius fretboard, and the Kluson style tuners. I've seen tops on traditionals that are stunning. If I'm wrong on anything hopefully someone will correct me.

Reaction score
The Standards are weight relieved.

Sinster

Reaction score
I don't think one is better than the other. I don't think Traditionals/Standards are better than Studios. I think it all dependent on personal choice. I like Studios as I feel that it's closest to the rawest form they have no bindings or the Gibson logo is screen printed on. The electronics can be changed on a studio to that of a Standard and or a Traditional.

I do own two Traditionals. My first was because it was all Mahogany and really liked the sound. My Traditional was because of the thick neck and not being weight relief. Now the top is a bonus.

Beginning this year Standard no longer have nibs.

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
Go to musiciansfriend.com

or

gibson.com

and compare the specs.

Most important to remember, although the standard has "upgrades" it doesn't mean it is better. Some people may not need the upgrades. So really it's just different options and flavors. "Better" is in the eye of the beholder.

To me, standard is the evolved modern LP and traditional is the tried/true LP

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both are great. The Traditional is what I'd get if I were after a great bound LP at a good price. Go one better and get a older Classic. It's cheaper and is pretty much a Traditional/Standard.

Anyhow, welcome to the zoo :)

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
Neither will be much of an upgrade/change in sound from a studio with a plus top

Maybe it'll just look prettier.

But that's in the eye of the beholder

USAPatriot

Reaction score
Okay now I have a question! I didn't know that the burstbuckers had been around for 6 years. The first I'd heard of them was in 2011 when I was shopping for my Blue Swirl flood issue and came across Slash's Tobacco Burst. I LUSTED after that guitar!!! But what "burst" are they bucking? Humbuckers buck the hum of single coils, I get that. My swirl has (had, actually, I sold it tonight!!!) the 490/496 setup and according to one chart I saw, the burst buckers actually have a lower output relative to the 490/496's. And with a nod to the OP's question, if the traditionals have '57's and the standards have burstbuckers, are the 490/496's only showing up in the studios? FYI, my 2014 standard DOES have BB1 and BB2 in it. They definitely have enhanced clarity compared to the flood's pickups, IMO, unless that's coming from somewhere else in the guitar's signal chain. -Rod-

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
Okay now I have a question! I didn't know that the burstbuckers had been around for 6 years. The first I'd heard of them was in 2011 when I was shopping for my Blue Swirl flood issue and came across Slash's Tobacco Burst. I LUSTED after that guitar!!! But what "burst" are they bucking? Humbuckers buck the hum of single coils, I get that. My swirl has (had, actually, I sold it tonight!!!) the 490/496 setup and according to one chart I saw, the burst buckers actually have a lower output relative to the 490/496's. And with a nod to the OP's question, if the traditionals have '57's and the standards have burstbuckers, are the 490/496's only showing up in the studios? FYI, my 2014 standard DOES have BB1 and BB2 in it. They definitely have enhanced clarity compared to the flood's pickups, IMO, unless that's coming from somewhere else in the guitar's signal chain. -Rod-

490R/498T maybe?

The 496 is the 496R, a hot ceramic neck spaced pup.

I know the 490R comes with either a 490T (my fave) or the 498T..

What chart? I'm intrigued!

Gwyddion

Reaction score
Burstbuckers are called that because they were an attempt at recreating the PAF humbuckers that were in the Les Pauls that were built between 1958 and 1960, which are known as Bursts because those were the first sunburst Les Pauls. So, they are Humbuckers that sound like those that were in the Bursts: BurstBuckers.

USAPatriot

Reaction score
490R/498T maybe?

The 496 is the 496R, a hot ceramic neck spaced pup.

I know the 490R comes with either a 490T (my fave) or the 498T..

What chart? I'm intrigued!

Here ya go!
pickups.jpg

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score

That would absolutely be 490R/498T! I love the sound of them! I still am not sure whether I like them or the 57's better. Love the 60's neck on my Sig "T" but love the sound of the 490R/498T from my Blue Swirl although it has a 50's neck.

Latest Threads