First person to be convicted under Florida’s 'Red Flag’ firearms law faces up to 5 years in prison.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
WTF? He wasn't given a sentence that involved not being able to own firearms. He was guilty of doing something really stupid, but this sets a scary precedence.

A Deerfield Beach man who was the first in Florida to be charged with defying the state’s “Red Flag” law has been found guilty and is now facing a maximum prison term of five years.

Broward Circuit Judge Ernest Kollra ordered a pre-sentencing investigation for Jerron Smith, 33, who was accused in March 2018 of failing to allow law enforcement officials to confiscate his weapons under the new state law, which was designed to take firearms away from those deemed most likely to use them to commit crimes.

The so-called “red flag” law was passed in the wake of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, one of the few gun reform laws that Democrats and Republicans could agree on in the Florida legislature. Under the law, police agencies are required to establish that a person is at high risk of using a firearm to commit a crime.

Smith was arrested in 2018, accused of shooting at a car driven by a friend with whom he was having an argument over a borrowed cellphone. The victim, Travis Jackson, was shaken but unhurt.

smith_gun.jpg

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The genie is out of the bottle on this one... we need to get this shit up to SCOTUS as quickly as possible, so that they can overturn the Constitutionally illegal madness.

Then, we should prosecute the bills authors for crimes against the Constitution.

Here in PA the state courts overturned similar illegal Red Flag "laws" created by the city of Pittsburgh. They are now deciding whether to prosecute the authors and elected officials who enacted the "law".

Last edited:

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
Was there any attempt at due process? Was there a lawful warrant?

"Smith was arrested in 2018, accused of shooting at a car driven by a friend with whom he was having an argument ... " = did he DO IT? If he did, then fuck him.
If he was convicted, and his sentence included provisions to disallow gun ownership, then I agree. If he is now a felon, then rules are already in place. If not, then this is over-reach plain and simple.

Olds442

Reaction score
it's ugly that's what it is. scary path to be going down.

MSB

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you're serious or not. He shot at someone, and missed, so that's OK?
That's fucked up, sorry.
per the original quoted article, it said he was accused of...

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Whoa! Let’s not get extreme. Recidivism has put some sweet guitars in my hands. Let’s not rush to stop a good thing.
But first we MUST determine if he has anything we want!

Any 1959 burst Pauls? Any Dumbles in the attic?

HE BETTER OR ELSE! :dude:

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If he was convicted, and his sentence included provisions to disallow gun ownership, then I agree. If he is now a felon, then rules are already in place. If not, then this is over-reach plain and simple.
That's why I said IF he did it.

scott1970

Reaction score
But first we MUST determine if he has anything we want!

Any 1959 burst Pauls? Any Dumbles in the attic?

HE BETTER OR ELSE! :dude:
I’m referencing using paychecks I’ve earned from dealing with repeat criminals to buy guitars. If we end crime guess who sells off his gear and downgrades to a $40 Esteban? Me.

I’m not endorsing taking people’s imaginary ‘59 bursts.

henry albert

Banned
Reaction score
I'm generally for keeping guns out of the hands of shit bags and common thugs, but there's something a little Orwellian about arresting said shit bags and thugs because they might commit a crime. I know that's not exactly what happened here, but it reminds me of that Spielberg movie where the cops grab some guy on the street and announce, "You've been arrested for the commission of a future crime."