First Norlin - "The Paul"

classicbronco

Reaction score
Today I ended up with my first Norlin era guitar, a 1978 "The Paul". Still has the original T-top pickups, with ebony fretboard and walnut body/neck. Sounds and plays amazing, very comfortable neck profile with wide low frets. Extremely resonant guitar, must be the walnut. One of the nicest lesters I have played, which is a good thing as it isn't much to look at!

Attachments

• DSCN0135.jpg
    DSCN0135.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN0132.jpg
    DSCN0132.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN0133.JPG
    DSCN0133.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN0139.JPG
    DSCN0139.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 73

swamprock

Reaction score
Don't kid yourself... she's beautiful. A true "player's" guitar. HNGD!

oldthumbsup.jpg

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah man....name it "Stripe".....I love my 78 TP as much as any of the others.

it may not be much to look at (the nick-name was the "coffee table burst"), but they sound great....

a take anywhere, and play anything guitar.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Love it !!!!!!

Victor Griffin did too, in the DEATH ROW and Relentless (or s/t) days..:naughty:
That into a JMP2203 with tone rolled back is instant Pentagram. (add chorus and cheezy delay and reverb for Day of Reckoning lol)

Nick-O

Reaction score
Is "The Paul" evenly balanced, ei, does it neck dive? I always mean to ask that. I have watched a few on eBay but always wonder about the dive.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As well as I remember, no....but I have not had mine strapped on in awhile.

It is a light guitar but pretty well balanced.

Mayuiers

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Over the years I've had a couple of "The Paul" models (and a Firebrand or two). I never noticed any issues with neck diving. My only gripe against the Paul models is the position of the pickup switch. It's not in a terrible location. I just wish Gibson would have set it up more like an SG... in front of the control knobs.

I remember when "The Pauls" were initially offered. They were a less costly alternative to a Standard LP, but make no mistake... they could certainly hold their own.

Back in the late 70's a friend of mine bought two from the Guitar Center in San Diego. He polished both to a high gloss finish and still plays them to this day. With no pickguard he has worn through the finish badly, but the variety of sounds he gets from those guitars is truly amazing.

Congratulations on your Paul !!!!

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great score,brother!! And dont kid yourself,thats a beautiful guitar!!!

bblooz

Reaction score
Just a bare bones LP, but all you need to rock - congrats!

Progrocker111

Reaction score
These are seriously underestimated guitars. T-Tops, ebony fretboard and resonant body - it couldnt go wrong with this mix. Great players guitars. :applause:

swamprock

Reaction score
Victor Griffin did too, in the DEATH ROW and Relentless (or s/t) days..:naughty:
That into a JMP2203 with tone rolled back is instant Pentagram. (add chorus and cheezy delay and reverb for Day of Reckoning lol)

Wish I'd known that when I met him. I would have brought that up as well while we were talking about his current LPs and SGs...

JM2112

Reaction score
Congratulations!!! :applause::applause::applause:

Very cool! Its appearance may be a bit different from what we're all used to seeing in a LP, but that don't mean much once you start playing it and find out that it has awesome tone and it's just a smokin' player. T-tops are just the best pick ups to be had, too. It's a unique guitar. Enjoy it!!! :thumb:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Norlin LP's!!! We look forward to your next acquisition now that you're hooked. :D

HNGD!!! :dude:

brianbzed

Reaction score
Congrats! Great guitar! Had one in 1986....traded it off....bad mistake....ROCK ON!!:thumb::applause:

BeachAxess

Reaction score
Here's a 1979 "The Paul", I'd like to share . . .

Attachments

• 1979-LP-Front.jpg
    1979-LP-Front.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 30

voggin

Reaction score
Dammit you guys! Stop posting these!

When I was a 12 year old, I used to drool over one of these at my local mom and pop. They had it, a dark red standard and a gold top deluxe. I knew I could never afford the last two, but there was a mystique of possibility about the Paul (alas, like the nicest of the most popular girls, sadly still out of reach).

Gotta find me one some day. Wish they would do a re-issue. I bet there would be a good bit of interest.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
they did, didn't really take.

you can find these very reasonable.....I have bought 2 in the last several years, 100% stock and had less than 1K in BOTH.

you can find them for $500-$700 if you watch.

Latest Threads