first les paul builds

BrandonLee

Reaction score
Easier to fit a tenon to a route than the other way around.:thumb:

14 degree, you may need to leave extra thickness at the head/neck join or add a volute.

sorry im probably being a sped but which way is easier?

also barnaby my camera is charging as i write,it fell behind the seat in the ute next to a case of ammo that iv been looking for:applause:
also iv been reading through your handmade thread mate and im VERY impressed.well done:wow:

Barnaby

Reaction score
sorry im probably being a sped but which way is easier?

also barnaby my camera is charging as i write,it fell behind the seat in the ute next to a case of ammo that iv been looking for:applause:
also iv been reading through your handmade thread mate and im VERY impressed.well done:wow:

Cheers, mate...but you're an Aussie country boy like me, so you know it's not as big a deal to us to make something by hand as it is to those big city types. :D

Looking forward to the photos...oh, and ptate is saying that you should cut the mortise first, then fit the tenon to it. Makes sense to me! :hmm:

BrandonLee

Reaction score
Cheers, mate...but you're an Aussie country boy like me, so you know it's not as big a deal to us to make something by hand as it is to those big city types. :D

Looking forward to the photos...oh, and ptate is saying that you should cut the mortise first, then fit the tenon to it. Makes sense to me! :hmm:

haha yeah i sometimes think the city people here in WA are more american-ised than the americans themselves when it comes to laziness (no offence to all the american guys her im just stereo-typing)

ievans

Reaction score
I made a neck profile drawing with a 13 degree headstock and a volute, if you want to make a side profile template.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/lut...cedar-double-cut-first-build.html#post1603635

IMO, a one-piece neck without a volute is a headstock break waiting to happen, and a design flaw. A volute helps, a scarf joint helps some more and wastes less wood, and a scarf joint plus volute makes headstock breaks a non-issue. But if you are mimicking a Gibson neither is "vintage correct."

BrandonLee

Reaction score
I made a neck profile drawing with a 13 degree headstock and a volute, if you want to make a side profile template.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/lut...cedar-double-cut-first-build.html#post1603635

IMO, a one-piece neck without a volute is a headstock break waiting to happen, and a design flaw. A volute helps, a scarf joint helps some more and wastes less wood, and a scarf joint plus volute makes headstock breaks a non-issue. But if you are mimicking a Gibson neither is "vintage correct."

nope not mimicking gibson i need these not to break as one of my friends is an up and coming country musician who travels with her guitars ALOT,and i was going to go with a scarf joint:thumb:

BrandonLee

Reaction score
ok pics of the body blanks (prior to thicknessing) and the template will be up by the end of the day..sorry i havent been posting,work school and family seem to like getting in the way of important things:rolleyes:

BrandonLee

Reaction score
i decided to use the catto plan.i printed it off and attached it to some laminate wood to use as a template
19032011093.jpg

19032011094.jpg

my two body pieces
19032011090.jpg

19032011091.jpg

BrandonLee

Reaction score
jump on in. i see you,ve been a member for a while, so i suppose you're familiar with ex and the others that do great work both on their builds and their documentation. while there is no true experience like doing it, these sure do help the process along. don't underestimate barnaby,s work either, although it woudn't surprise me if he has to put on his cape and mask and go fix those reactors. is there anything he can't/won't do. how bout pics on your first build? glad to see another build site...maybe you can take some of the heat off of me from emoney. good luck. i'm always ready to learn something.

sorry i only just saw this post,my first build was this one here
IMG_0530.jpg

Barnaby

Reaction score
Love that banksia. If I can get some cool Japanese wood, maybe we can trade sometime...:hmm:

Barnaby

Reaction score
a template?

are you gonna cut the body with this...

...and carve the top with this?

Hmm...it may not be the cleanest cut template in the world, perhaps, but don't you think your way of telling him so is a little bit uncalled for?

For what it's worth, I think a properly sharpened spoon made from decent steel could make a pretty good recurve scraper for a top. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime. :hmm:

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
eh..just playing.
we all start somewhere and look back later.

BrandonLee

Reaction score
its not clean i know but its only a rough template,i mean the last guitar i had i completley eyeballed and it turned out fine...so well see i guess

and for what its worth im thinking barnaby would probably VERY grateful for a sharpened spoon on his current build

Barnaby

Reaction score
eh..just playing.
we all start somewhere and look back later.

True dat...

...guitars and girls...

its not clean i know but its only a rough template,i mean the last guitar i had i completley eyeballed and it turned out fine...so well see i guess

and for what its worth im thinking barnaby would probably VERY grateful for a sharpened spoon on his current build

Yeah, its a good way to develop skills, I reckon...sorta like the difference between people who use a recipe for everything and those who just cook. :thumb:

A spoon could help. I'm seriously considering it for the next build. The trick would be to find steel that could take and hold a good edge, then figure out how to sharpen it. :hmm:

Latest Threads