First impressions: 2019 Les Paul Standard 50s

BDW60

Reaction score
It has never made sense to pay 2,500 to $3K for a new USA Les Paul, Trad or Standard or these new boat anchors, when you can buy a used historic for the same money.

A Trad used for 1,500 — that’s a good value.

edselman

Reaction score
I’m glad I caught this post. I’m hoping to try and get a new guitar around Christmas, but I’m not going to risk $$$ on a new Gibson if they are still in the ground manufacturing wise. Too much bad experiences with a few a couple of years ago. Thanks for the honesty!
The takeaway from all this is that the new Gibson’s aren’t “in the ground” in spite of the opinion of one person who played one guitar at Guitar Center for an hour. People who own them and have posted numerous reviews on this forum disagree. These are the best Gibson USA guitars that have been made in a number of years. Gibson has redeemed itself with these new instruments. I understand that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but this is the observation of one person, and not the opinion of the many owners.

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
One problem I’ve had with Gibson’s for years has been the cheap truss rods. The bend hits around the 9th fret so that up high there’s bound to be buzzing. This means I have to ramp the upper frets downwards to maintain a decent action. For what they they charge, they can put in a modern truss that eliminates or lessons this effect. The new CEO should spend less time talking and more on quality control. There’s no need to have ten pound guitars, just silly.
I was playing a new 50's Standard Gold Top last week at Guitar Center. I liked everythimg about it, except the buzzing. My sale guy said, it just needed a truss rod adjustment to add some relief. He took it to the counter as I watched. Took the cover off and srarted turning the nut. Checked for buzz. Turned some more. Checked for buzz. Turned some more and the nut gout real looss. So he turned it to the right and then back to the left again. Said it's a double action TR. But he stopped turning it and put the cover bqck on. Tuned it up and the buzzing was still there.

I'm not sure it was a double action. Maybe it is? Scared me away from this one though. Otherwise, it was a nice guitar.

unimorse

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: In no way am I trying to offend or antagonize owners of this model guitar. These are just my first impressions, as objective as I can be since I tried but didn't buy.

My local Guitar Center finally received a 2019 Les Paul Standard 50s.

View attachment 408522

Yes, a single one. Our market here is so small and slow that a $2500 guitar will hang on the wall for months without anyone seriously considering it. After all the hype these things have received I was eager to try one out, and today when I brought my son in for his weekly drum lesson I had this one all to myself for an hour.

View attachment 408527

First of all, it's heavy. I'd guess around 10 pounds, and it's all there. Nicely balanced though, because the neck is big - significantly bigger than I expected. Rivals my old R8, for sure, and doesn't seem like something you could just get used to. You would have to be a fan of clubby necks to get along with this guitar.

Fit and finish is decent. The burst looks nice and the overspray is even and consistent, and has the strongest and sweetest vanilla smell of any new Gibson I've encountered. A closer look reveals some corners cut parts-wise to keep the cost down. The bridge bit me as soon as I started playing; very sharp edges and not the best shape. Sweep on the pots is also disappointing, but I guess that not surprising given it's an area Gibson skimps on even at the historic level.

View attachment 408529

The fretboard does not impress. Quite light - the color of Nestle Quick - and streaky, and definitely dried out. I am typically a fan of just playing the hell out of a guitar and letting natural oil from my fingers condition the board, rather than applying some kind of oil to it - but this one would need special attention right out of the shop.

Plugged in, it sounds solid. Good PAF character in the pickups, especially the spank of the bridge. Pushes the amp (Fender Blues Deluxe) nicely when cranked. Certainly delivers the "LP experience," despite a really poor setup (typical of this GC) and factory strings that are just awful. Obviously not a big deal, but worth noting.

View attachment 408530

Would I buy it? No. It's a decent guitar, but not the level of instrument that a historic is. For $2500, I would buy a used R8 and never look back. This particular guitar might be a poor example of what this model typically offers, but in my experience you can get a better Les Paul for this amount of money. Maybe even a much better one. Unless buying new is an absolute must, I'd pass.
I got one and guess maybe I got a good one although I'm not a fan of the tuners. Those are getting changed.

Tinpan

Reaction score
Being a shop that will sell maybe one Gibby a year.....maybe they unloaded a dud. You can tell by looking at it that it is dry and needs oil on the fretboard. Would be nice to know what was in the electronics cavity. GC - where you pay the “new” price for a guitar played by 50 people over 6 months - :doh:

Geronimo

Reaction score
Snobbish? I gave my honest opinion. It seems to me like objective reviews are uncommon on this site, because in almost every instance it's a guitar someone has already bought. We obviously want to feel good about expensive purchases we've made and guitars we own. Plus, a savvy guitar buyer won't want to point out shortcomings because that could harm potential resale value in the future. In this case, I don't have a dog in the fight and gave my honest impressions.

As far as not being able to afford a Custom Shop guitar, that makes no sense given my conclusion. You could spend the same $2500 it takes to buy this guitar new and get a used Historic instead. I would challenge anyone who owns both to honestly say this Standard is on the same level. It's just not.
I agree 100%. I got my 2013 R8 for $2700.00. All the case candy and COA intact and in just about new condition. It’s a cold hard fact. The reissues are way better than any USA. I own both. There’s no cork sniffing (so sick of this term) going on. If you have $2500.00 to spend on a Les Paul BUY A USED REISSUE.

danzego

Reaction score
I’m glad I caught this post. I’m hoping to try and get a new guitar around Christmas, but I’m not going to risk $$$ on a new Gibson if they are still in the ground manufacturing wise. Too much bad experiences with a few a couple of years ago. Thanks for the honesty!
Yeah, never mind all the guys saying that they’ve played or own one and they’re great. One person complains and it’s “Gibson is still in the ground manufacturing wise.”

Clearly, you’re just trying to convince yourself that you don’t want one. Maybe you ought to head to the stores and try out a few.

danzego

Reaction score
I was playing a new 50's Standard Gold Top last week at Guitar Center. I liked everythimg about it, except the buzzing. My sale guy said, it just needed a truss rod adjustment to add some relief. He took it to the counter as I watched. Took the cover off and srarted turning the nut. Checked for buzz. Turned some more. Checked for buzz. Turned some more and the nut gout real looss. So he turned it to the right and then back to the left again. Said it's a double action TR. But he stopped turning it and put the cover bqck on. Tuned it up and the buzzing was still there.

I'm not sure it was a double action. Maybe it is? Scared me away from this one though. Otherwise, it was a nice guitar.

Absolutely horrifying. That person shouldn’t be let near any guitar ever again.

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Yeah, never mind all the guys saying that they’ve played or own one and they’re great. One person complains and it’s “Gibson is still in the ground manufacturing wise.”

Clearly, you’re just trying to convince yourself that you don’t want one. Maybe you ought to head to the stores and try out a few.
I went with a friend to try out two new 2019 SGs this past weekend. One Standard Tribute, one Standard, both were early 2019 (pre-JC). Both were horrible: finish problems on the Standard, orange peel and buffing compound still visible where fretboard met the body, seam where neck met body was quite visible and pronounced/could be felt. Nut on the Tribute was SHARP as hell, no one bothered to round off the edges, and the forgot to sand the bevels of the horns (you could feel tiny pieces of wood sticking up, like velcro, as if they didn't sand it after the CNC machine made the body).

How these made it past QC is beyond me (as it was the period of bankruptcy, maybe there was no QC, just sending guitars out the door....) Both sounded horrible and played as if they were "dead". Just so happens they were two bad Gibsons in a row.

When my friend asked if he could try a newer 2019 (made under JC) the response from the salesman was "no, we would have to unbox them and tune them"...

We walked out. Obviously they really really wanted to get rid of these two guitars.

Moral of the story: try before you buy, or make sure the store has an iron-clad return policy... and prepare to shop around until you find a guitar you like.

Last edited:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Absolutely horrifying. That person shouldn’t be let near any guitar ever again.
That’s everyone in GC..... bring your own truss rod tool.... ask the sales person to look for the case (that should take an hour).... then make your adjustments.....;)