First ding on my R9

E.T.

Reaction score
Just wait until you fly with it and the Baggage Vandals get involved with their forklifts:

DSC_0055.JPG

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Agreed. They’re incredibly soft these days. My 2003 R7 has a finish that’s like battle armor. It takes a hard whack to cause a dent. In fact even after all these years I don’t have a single dent on the top, just a couple of tiny spots where the finish cracked when something hit it (the finish cracks before anything dents). They used a lot more plasticizer back then, which protects the shit out of it, but never checks. But my 2020 60th R0? I put a ding on it the FIRST DAY I had it when the plug of my cable tapped it by accident when I wasn’t plugging it in. Talk about heartbreak. If you breathe on this thing too heavy it will dent. But, what’s done is done. It’s going to hapoen. I used to care about keeping my guitars pristine; now I appreciate aged and used guitars more. The good ones get played, so if an older guitar is mint I’m immediately suspicious. The banged up ones are usually better. So, consider it a mark of distinction.

Yes exactly - all my USA Fenders can almost be dropped from 10 feet without a mark - yet the new super soft Gibson finish will mark with almost no effort. My 1992 Gibson Les Paul stayed minty fresh for decades - not going to be the case with the 2020 Gibson :)

hmesters

Reaction score
Things can always get worse. No clean spots left on my late 53 stop tail burst killer:)

DharmaBum

Reaction score
To the OP, or any others (myself included) who suffer angst over stuff like this... there is a Buddhist parable that helps me put these things in perspective.

"The glass is already broken."

"'You see this goblet?

'For me this glass is already broken. I enjoy it; I drink out of it. It holds my water admirably, sometimes even reflecting the sun in beautiful patterns. If I should tap it, it has a lovely ring to it.

But when I put this glass on the shelf and the wind knocks it over or my elbow brushes it off the table and it falls to the ground and shatters, I say, 'Of course.'

When I understand that the glass is already broken, every moment with it is precious.'"

– Achaan Chaah

Reactions: HJR

guitardon

Reaction score
I was adjusting the pick up height and my screw slipped and got a ding beside the my neck pick ups.

Sad. I normally don’t mind as my les Paul custom has many dings. Why does this hurt so much?
The first one is always painful. If I buy a used guitar and it has a ding in it that I wasn’t expecting, I don’t send it back or complain. I figure they’ve just esEs the burden of me suffering that first dang. Anyway if you use it it’ll get many more and then it’ll be truly broken in.

jamhandy

Reaction score
Exactly why I would never pay that much over-priced amount for any guitar.

People pay good money to have someone at the factory beat the hell out of their guitar (relic) before it gets to the store... maybe trade it in for one of those (??) (I wouldn't even pay to have my guitar beat to hell, either...)

Its much more fun to wear the finish off myself after having one for 40 years... like my 1980 Les Paul Artisan I've had since new in 1980... back then it was $925.60... today you could add a zero to the price for some damned reason at Gibson ($9,256.00) and they'd have to call it a "custom shop model"... 40 years ago it was just a guitar...
DSCF0386sm--- neck wear.jpg

DSCF0384sm.jpg

DSCF0383sm.jpg

jazzsola

Reaction score
Just play that thing and don’t worry about it. Do you think Page worried about getting ANOTHER ding on his real ‘59 LP? There were more pressing issues.
It’s no longer a virgin.
Plug it in.
Turn up.
Rock the fuk on...
#firstworldproblems
12AD38AC-C9E9-4828-B6FF-0076686156AA.jpeg

jazzsola

Reaction score
Yes exactly - all my USA Fenders can almost be dropped from 10 feet without a mark - yet the new super soft Gibson finish will mark with almost no effort. My 1992 Gibson Les Paul stayed minty fresh for decades - not going to be the case with the 2020 Gibson :)
It’s called nitro lacquer... if you want a helmet, get a nice thin poly finish

R994

Reaction score
any others (myself included) who suffer angst over stuff like this... there is a Buddhist parable that helps me put these things in perspective.

"The glass is already broken."
The first one is always painful. If I buy a used guitar and it has a ding in it that I wasn’t expecting, I don’t send it back or complain. I figure they’ve just esEs the burden of me suffering that first dang. Anyway if you use it it’ll get many more and then it’ll be truly broken in.
i bought this guitar used and has other dings. It does make guitar have character, guitar now constantly tells me "you fucking idiot". LOLZ

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aw, does it hurt and have a temperature?

:rofl:

TriSarahPloop

Reaction score
first ding is always the worst, I actually like light relics for this reason, it takes away that initial worry of dinging it. my r8 is covered at this point.

decoy205

Reaction score
I think the use of plasticizer is what makes it softer and easier to dent. My 05 has a harder finish. When I had an 07 it was like rubbery. It won’t ever check but you’ll get dents easy.

All my Lps now have real laquer and they won’t dent only crack or chip.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
It's a tool to make music.

Like a hammer.... if it looks new it's wasting space.

Latest Threads