First ding on my R9

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first one hurts....

I know it’s mojo and is going to happen…
But love perfect, glossy finishes and obsess over dings…
The first few I typically will buff out (if possible)
but I’m at OCD weirdo and like things to be shiny…

I know they’re all eventually going to get dings but the first one or two hurt way more than the rest :h5:

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
Haha.. i had 2 heavy heart moments too. One day i noticed a 3 to 4mm ding in the top of my LPC. Couldnt for the life of me figure out how it got there. Got over it eventually. A couple of weeks later.. i notice an almost identical looking ding on my Trad on the side.. now i really got my head scratching going on.. then one day by chance.. i notice how my 6yr old takes his little acoustic and puts it next to my guitar. Of course his falls over.. and the tuner nicks the finish. Identical looking ding.
Anywho.. lesson learnt. Guitars are in thwir cases now

R994

Reaction score
At the same time i bought the guitar to play it. now my r9 is permantely outside haha. fuck it. Haha. I have dings on my custom les paul also. but i dont care since i used it for almost 5 years.

Zylo

Reaction score
maybe Op is looking for a reason to get a new guitar?? lol

Injector

Reaction score
I was adjusting the pick up height and my screw slipped and got a ding beside the my neck pick ups.

Sad. I normally don’t mind as my les Paul custom has many dings. Why does this hurt so much?
The first cut is the deepest...

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
I second that.

I got my LP Menace in 2006. Cost a pretty penny, especially seeing as I was only 18 at the time. Has a nitro/satin finish, so is very soft. In 2007 when we were in the rehearsal studio, our twat of a drummer thought it would be funny to deliberately throw his drumstick, and it hit my LP. Left a half-inch long dent, right on the top.

Needless to say he didn't last long in our little band.

It hurt at the time. We were all furious with him. Not just me. (In all fairness he gave me a "free shot" immediately after the incident). Many years have passed, and thankfully when I look at it now, it just brings back fond happy memories of the great times I used to have playing in our band.

A couple years later, I managed to break it's neck after it fell off the stand... so yeah, it definitely has it's battle scars. It's all character ;)

Last edited:

TheWelder

Reaction score
I remember the first significant ding on my Custom Shop Jr....it stung a bit. The guitar was my number 1 gigging and rehearsing guitar for several years and now it is loaded with wear, dings, and checking. I wouldn't have it any other way.

50 Watts

Reaction score
I can sympathize with that sickening feeling. All guitars get them if you play them but it still hurts.

One of the nice things about old/vintage instruments is that others have already put dings and dents in them. I don't feel so bad when I add one.

ManicPete

Reaction score
We all go through this. Took me two days to get over the first one. Now every time I look closely at my R8 when I'm cleaning it I see a new one and I love them all. Play the thing! And enjoy it!

Harleytech

Reaction score
Lol.. Yep the first one sucks ! Next time try wrapping a little ele. tape around the tip with a little overhanging about an 1/8"
and it will grip the screw and screw driver won't slip off... I tried that after I saw it on one of those Gibson video's... It really works...

mjross

Reaction score
It will eventually fade. Bought a new Z06 Vette a year or so ago. got A small rock chip on it and when ever I looked at the car all I could see was that tiny chip. Bothered me for quite a while. Now, I just drive the car and enjoy it. However, it is difficult to put it behind you. You’ll be OK, Rock On Sir!

Latest Threads