First '59 LP Build Thread

ARandall

Reaction score
Love the colour. You managed to get a great finish on it for the record.

guitarsmith

Reaction score
that top color is perfect. I'm never going to get on with my build when I see these finished they just set the bar higher.

Scero Guitars

Reaction score
that top color is perfect. I'm never going to get on with my build when I see these finished they just set the bar higher.

Truly appreciate the kind words, but dont think like that ! If i can make a guitar look half way descent, anyone can.

This build tested all of my abilities 10x, and there were ALOT of struggles, but I learned so much ! Please dont hesitate t ask any questions you may have, and i'll answer em the best i can

marijnsloth

Reaction score
I love the subtlety of the flame and the color scheme is perfect! Did you use aniline dies? Normally I like how it will fade further, but you already have spot on faded look!

ARandall

Reaction score
Actually I do have a question - what is the finished height of the binding?? ...as in measured on the side of the guitar??

guitarsmith

Reaction score
Truly appreciate the kind words, but dont think like that ! If i can make a guitar look half way descent, anyone can.

This build tested all of my abilities 10x, and there were ALOT of struggles, but I learned so much ! Please dont hesitate t ask any questions you may have, and i'll answer em the best i can

Explain your finishing process for the top. I want to know which route you took. I would really appreciate that!

Scero Guitars

Reaction score
I love the subtlety of the flame and the color scheme is perfect! Did you use aniline dies? Normally I like how it will fade further, but you already have spot on faded look!

Thank you ! I used all Alcohol based aniline dyes from LMI. The burst faded immensely, in just a matter of a few weeks.

Scero Guitars

Reaction score
Explain your finishing process for the top. I want to know which route you took. I would really appreciate that!

Mine was very simple;

Maple sanded to 400 grit

Hand rubbed yellow alcohol based aniline dye, straight onto maple.

Light mist coat of amber aniline dye, mixed with lacquer sprayed on.

Aniline dye burst colors, mixed with lacquer, and then sprayed on.

A few light coats of amber lacquer sprayed over entire top.

Lacquer top coats built up

Barnaby

Reaction score
What an amazing job! I think you did a great finish on the top. :applause:

guitarsmith

Reaction score
Hand rubbed yellow alcohol based aniline dye, straight onto maple.

I have been hearing that using alcohol dilution and the dye is not recommended because it dries so fast and the chances of streaking increases or is next to impossible to avoid. Where as water, you could technically lightly wet the entire surface as a prepping step before applying a water diluted dye reducing the chances of streaks.

I must say this just throws a wrench into my thought pattern on finishing - again as yours looks unreal its so well done.

did you feel like there was any chance of streaking or leaving splotches?

What was your mix ratio for the alcohol and dye?

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great color! Can we get a straight on pic of the top?

tnt423

Reaction score
I have been hearing that using alcohol dilution and the dye is not recommended because it dries so fast and the chances of streaking increases or is next to impossible to avoid. Where as water, you could technically lightly wet the entire surface as a prepping step before applying a water diluted dye reducing the chances of streaks.

I must say this just throws a wrench into my thought pattern on finishing - again as yours looks unreal its so well done.

Not wanting to hijack, but I will anyway, :) Not all alcohol evaporates at the same rate, when I used a lot of spirit varnish in violin repair I used Bekhol from Behlens as it dried slower and gave just a bit more time to manipulate the colors on touch-s and patches. Pricey but when you don't have to do it twice it makes it worth it. Most big box store's alcohol is very low grade and will raise grain if you try and use it to stain by hand.
Trial on scrap is always recommended.

That is a very good looking guitar!

Scero Guitars

Reaction score

Honestly, i had no issue with streaking at all. One thing when staining is, you want to make sure you've final sanded higher than normal. I like to go up to about 600 grit (as opposed to the 320-400 i'd normally do). This helps to take the stain better, and apply it more evenly.

My mixture is honestly done alot by eye, but I would say it's around a 70% alcohol and 30% stain. So, not as potent, but more coats applied

Scero Guitars

Reaction score
I wish i could say she is without blemish, but I did have a few hiccups along the way, that were just to bad to fully cover up. Had some router tear out on the side (seen in last pic), but all in all, I am still SO HAPPY with how she turned out -

Decided to flashy buffed on the top & headstock, and a VOS on the back and neck -

Here's some glamour pics (use that term VERY loosely) for ya guys:

sO29ZEU.jpg

VogZCuW.jpg

AMKnGgv.jpg

dxjdUgn.jpg

13rj9QO.jpg

Wish the camera could of caught the AMAZING flame this Old Growth Mahog has !
13rj9QO.jpg

C9RbFnT.jpg

Latest Threads