First '59 LP Build Thread

Scero Guitars

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is going be as detailed as possible, build thread of my VERY first '59 LP build. I am definitely going for as much period correctness as possible, but am not going to get "too" hung up on small minute details. Really just want to focus on the truly vital aspects, i.e.: body woods, glues, angles, hardware and electronics.

I have many T & S style builds under my belt, and feel very comfortable handling those handmade builds. I have the most high and upmost respect for the Replica builder out there, Bartlett, Yaron, Weyandt, Gustavason, Ian Anderson, etc. I really wanna put my skills to the test, and see if i could get somewhat close to the real thing. I am going to be taking AS MUCH time is needed on this, not rushing any of the even the most small details.

Any input, feedback, or general chatting, would be gladly and much appreciated ! I truly wanna hear whatever (try and keep it friendly), from whoever about it ! No constructive criticism will be turned down -

On this first one, i thought about carving the top, with help from a phenominal luthier, Ed Lynch, but decided to take a "little" easier, and use on of Tom's beautiful Eastern Maple Carved Tops. On my next one, i am certain i will tackle the carving of the top BY HAND !

Some of the details of the pics, may be bluntly obvious to most of you, but i'd like to show as much detail as i can, to any newbs (myself included) out there, who may need a little bit more light, into what i'm trying to do

Woods For Build:

300yr Old Growth Honduran Mahogany (Purchased from Ches @ NorthShoreVintage)

Pre-Carved Eastern Maple Top (Courtesy of Mr Tom Bartlett)

Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood Board

Holly Veneer

Parts Used:

Retrospec Nitro Cellulose Inlays (Courtesy of Kim @ Retrospec)

Royalite Binding (Courtesy AGAIn of Tom Bartlett)

Jescar 6100 Frets (Loved these on my last replica i owned)

Woods

Was able to get TWO neck blanks out the one blank Ches sent me. SUPER excited about that. The stuff is SO light, rings like a bell, and has some real nice flame and Cathedral grain to it.

Both necks, cut down to rough form. Working with such expensive, and old wood, is a little nerve wracking ! But, patience, and OCD-ness, will prevail !

Beautiful piece of Brazilian, show on top of the Old Growth it will be matched up with soon

Sanding down the sides, trying to get to my 1 11/16 Nut width, with the right amount of taper up the neck. Still really considering a 1 5/8" width. Last Replica had it, and it just MUCH more comfortable to my hands. . .

Trying to clean up the headstock, to get as close to possible at the look im going for. Definitely dont wanna do anything to UPSET the BIG GUYS, but wanna have somewhat the same look and feel from far away.

Scero Guitars

Reaction score
Forgot some pics ;)

Fingerboard, ready to start radiusing to 12". It was hard deciding which side to use on this beaut, both had awesome figure, and dark look. I ended up choosing the darker side. . .
9055541602_d18fa33c80.jpg
[/url]
Untitled by Scero Guitars, on Flickr[/IMG]

9055548794_037809b3e8.jpg
[/url]

Radiusing with a 12" block. Started with 80 Grit paper, to get a little more mass off, and smooth up ALOT of the rough edges and middle grain of the piece.
9053326581_e7649372a0.jpg
[/url]

More final sanding will come on the board, after fret slots are cut, and inlays are cut and installed.

I am LOVING my new StewMac Miter Box, Saw & scale length templates, for fret cutting ! The different scale length templates, though pricey, make the whole experience easier and enjoyable !

9053326581_e7649372a0.jpg
[/url]

9055557216_172fe33531.jpg
[/url]

MORE TO COME !

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
Just don't use metric bridge posts! ;)

Latest Threads