First 3-D printed rifle fires bullet, then breaks

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
First 3-D printed rifle fires bullet, then breaks* - NBC News.com

A man who used a 3-D printer to make the first .22-caliber rifle out of largely plastic parts has successfully fired off a shot with the weapon. The homemade rifle subsequently broke, however. Still, the rifle maker — who previously used a 3-D printer to create two ukuleles (yes, ukuleles) — said he will try again.

The rifle creator, named Matt, agreed to a brief interview with NBC News via email but declined to give his last name.
He said he was given permission at work to use the 3-D printer, a Stratasys Dimension 1200es. He previously created two 3-D ukuleles using the printer.

"I went with what we Canadian gun owners call a non-restricted rifle of my own design, which means a lot less paperwork and BS to deal with."

Matt said the rifle took him three days to build, and nearly 27 hours to print: 13 hours to print the receiver, 6-1/2 hours to print the barrel, 5 hours to print the stock and 2 hours to print the rifle's "internals," he told NBC News.

On the YouTube video, below, Matt notes that the rifle's barrel "split along both sides" and "the receiver split along the top, but it did fire the round."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow3lO_ViXkk]Fully 3D Printed Rifle #1 Firing Test - YouTube[/ame]

Matt told NBC News he is interested in both 3-D printing as well as guns, and that while the rifle he created can't be repaired, "I am currently redesigning it and will try again." Also, he said he is "thinking of trying a violin once I perfect the ukuleles I printed."

.. I wonder what sort of failure the ukes may have had after playing a note ..

.. Canadian Ukulele Maker Gone Rouge ! ..

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
.. I will take a bolt action Les Paul ..

.. actually .. why not print out another ... printer .. ha ha ..

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's what you get when you're to lazy too just go to the gun show.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The technology isn't there yet, but it will be. You cannot stop innovation.

JonMan94

Reaction score
Think we could print out Les Pauls?

www.odd.org.nz

atomblack2.jpg

It's been done, and you can buy em, too.

JTM45

Reaction score
Those are actually pretty cool.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
they need to figure out how to do it with metal

With metal, then you are getting into regular machining processes they currently use to manufacture anything with. Metal is substantially harder. However if you could get it hot enough, it may just work.

On issue I can think about is that it uses plastic. While I'm not 100% on how these printers work, it has to get into liquid form. To do that, you pretty much need heat, but plastics take a lot less heat than metals as a general rule. Firing a gun would put so much stress on those plastic pieces. They would crack, expand and cool at an alarming rate. I don't think an explosive firearm would work with plastic.

Latest Threads