Firefox Help Needed

kevinpaul

Reaction score
Remove it and reinstall it, that fixed me up. Adobe updates have caused trouble on a couple of my machines.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Remove it and reinstall it, that fixed me up. Adobe updates have caused trouble on a couple of my machines.

I had read some comments online stating that everything after version #17 was buggy. I was using version #20 so I downloaded version #17, uninstalled, and loaded that in. Now it is no longer logging me out when I leave websites but it is still doing it when I close Firefox. Fvcking Firefox.

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
I downloaded that recently but am not sure about it yet. It takes a bit to load and every time you close the program it asks you to verify that you want to do so.

I've never had an issue with it so far.
:hmm:

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
Norton 360

Lotta people don't like it.
They say it's cumbersome and slow.
Never has been for me, but I do take the trouble to set it up properly.
I used to game with it on as well (not on this system).
Once it's set up you can use it as 'fire and forget' or get into more.
Whatever turns you on.

[edit: I won't get into the debate about Norton. It's as useful to me as top-wrapping vs not, and guard on or off.]
:)

Sin Nombre

Reaction score
I got nuthin.
They all seem pretty similar to me.

firefox-girl.jpg

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I've downloaded a couple of other browsers, such a Comodo IceDragon, and will install them later on to see what I think of them.

I tried Waterfox but exactly the same shit was happening with it. I guess it was too integrated with Firefox.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Try Chrome or another alternative.

I do not recommend IE. I've had three calls (from different people) this week all the same problem as a result of IE11. They open a page but cannot load any of the links inside it - and it's in certain pages. Like photo albums or webmail - they can't zoom in on pictures with a lightbox or a photo album and they can't open their emails in the inbox. It's like once it fails it can't go back and is in a loop and is stuck. It required me resetting IE (in internet options) to straighten them all out - a simple history/cache clean did nothing. I'm not happy with IE11.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Try Chrome or another alternative.

I do not recommend IE. I've had three calls (from different people) this week all the same problem as a result of IE11. They open a page but cannot load any of the links inside it - and it's in certain pages. Like photo albums or webmail - they can't zoom in on pictures with a lightbox or a photo album and they can't open their emails in the inbox. It's like once it fails it can't go back and is in a loop and is stuck. It required me resetting IE (in internet options) to straighten them all out - a simple history/cache clean did nothing. I'm not happy with IE11.

No worries, I wouldn't use IE.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have corrupt cookies which means your going to do clearing.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Go to tools/options/security

Is the box checked for "remember passwords for sites"?

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I installed Comodo IceDragon and it seems to be working well. The interface looks like Firefox (it even accepts Firefox extensions) but it doesn't seem to be having the issues that Firefox and Waterfox were having so I think I will stick with it.

I also installed a browser called PaleMoon but I haven't tried it out yet so have no idea what it is like.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
Cut this man's tongue out. :doh:

It's amazing how well IE works when you don't install 20 other crappy, poorly written browsers that do their best to corrupt IE code. I have no other browsers or toolbars or other crap installed on my Win 8 system and IE is secure, stable and I don't need a multitude of plugins from various less than quality programmers to get the job done.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
It's amazing how well IE works when you don't install 20 other crappy, poorly written browsers that do their best to corrupt IE code. I have no other browsers or toolbars or other crap installed on my Win 8 system and IE is secure, stable and I don't need a multitude of plugins from various less than quality programmers to get the job done.

Aren't there vulnerabilities with IE that are easily exploited?

I used to really like it but haven't liked the recent versions as much as I liked the older ones. If I could use an older version and not have security concerns I wouldn't be against using it but I have just heard so many bad things about it, especially in terms of security issues, that I just cannot bring myself to use it.

As for the original problem, Comodo IceDragon seems to be working perfectly well and the interface is almost exactly like Firefox so it didn't take any getting used to. And since it is from a security company it has a good reputation for security.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Go to tools/options/security

Is the box checked for "remember passwords for sites"?

Yeah, it had been. But as I said in the post above, Comodo IceDragon seems to be working very well.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
Aren't there vulnerabilities with IE that are easily exploited?

I used to really like it but haven't liked the recent versions as much as I liked the older ones. If I could use an older version and not have security concerns I wouldn't be against using it but I have just heard so many bad things about it, especially in terms of security issues, that I just cannot bring myself to use it.

As for the original problem, Comodo IceDragon seems to be working perfectly well and the interface is almost exactly like Firefox so it didn't take any getting used to. And since it is from a security company it has a good reputation for security.

The most recent versions of IE, since version 9, have routinely been tested by independent security experts and have been found to be the most secure browsers available today. The major problem with past versions of IE was not really a problem with the browser but with the operating system, Windows XP, that it ran on. For XP to be completely functional, users had to run with full administrative rights. This gave any malware full run of the OS once in the system. Since Vista, not even users with admin rights have true admin rights system wide. That solved the majority of the problems.

Since Windows 7, Internet Explorer effectively runs in a sandbox and any malware that attempts to run can do little more than crash your browser session. In worse case scenarios, it is a simple affair - one click - to restore IE to it's default condition.

Many people are still comparing browsers based on their speed. Well when you consider the speed of the average Internet connection these days, if anyone is having speed problems when browsing I suggest they look into a new ISP or get a new system. Unless a half second difference per page view or so is so important in your life, browser speed is irrelevant today.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
Safari is only functional on Macs. On Windows systems, you might as well just turn off all your security and hang out a flashing welcome sign to every piece of malware on the net if you use it. Like most Apple software, cough iTunes cough, it's garbage on anything but an Apple product.

Latest Threads