Firefox Help Needed

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Since yesterday Firefox has been automatically logging me out of websites after I have been off them for a few minutes. This is happening on forums, newspaper websites that require you to sing in, my bank account, etc. When I return to these sites after being off them for a few minutes I have to log in all over again.

This never used to happen and I would stay logged in to everything until I cleared my history, cookies, etc. I didn't make any changes to Firefox yesterday so I have no idea why this has started happening. None of the possible fixes that I've found online have helped.

Has anyone experienced this before and, more importantly, does anyone know how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

bertzie

Reaction score
No, that was the next step but I figured I should ask here before doing that.

Honestly, with Firefox it could be any number of things. In the time it would take to diagnose and fix the problem, you can just reinstall it. And that fixes about 99% of the problems anyways. The other 1% is a bitch.

Kashmir

Reaction score
Go into Options, and click the Privacy tab. Make sure History says "Remember history," and not one of the other choices. That way, the browser will not clear away the cookies. Like this:

Mike's_LP

Reaction score
The Mozilla site has a FF users forum, you might find some answers there.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Go into Options, and click the Privacy tab. Make sure History says "Remember history," and not one of the other choices. That way, the browser will not clear away the cookies. Like this:

That is how I had it set already.

I updated Firefox and the problem persists. After I shovel the snow off the drive I guess I will uninstall it and then reinstall.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
I love FF. In fact I love all programs that bloat themselves up to the point where I have no free memory left out of 12 GB. Such beautifully written software like that deserves to be lauded.

nauc

Reaction score
did this happend BEFORE you updated FF? have you installed or updated ANY other software?

Kashmir

Reaction score
Maybe it's your firewall settings, a malware program, or something.

Switch to IE, Chrome, or Safari, where you'll find other issues ...

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
did this happend BEFORE you updated FF? have you installed or updated ANY other software?

Yes, it happened before I updated. And no, I didn't install anything else.

I removed Firefox and reinstalled it so we'll see how it goes in the next few minutes.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I love FF. In fact I love all programs that bloat themselves up to the point where I have no free memory left out of 12 GB. Such beautifully written software like that deserves to be lauded.

If I could find another browser that I liked as much I would change. I used to like Opera but not any more - and the way it is now set to open at the last page you were on before closing the program is just plain stupid.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
I have all my browsers set to do this automatically (for I use a few different browsers for different occasions/reasons).

If you store your user ID's and passwords in your browser (this is how it logs in to sites automatically), it's possible for other sites (malicious or otherwise) to obtain them.

I use a separate security programme to complete these details for me, independent of the browser and locked up tight, whenever the browser visits the site.

It's a compromise.
Still requires more effort to visit those sites but it's only the click of a button and my passwords are only available where and when they should be.

My advice would be to leave FF (and IE, etc) logging you out automatically.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I have all my browsers set to do this automatically (for I use a few different browsers for different occasions/reasons).

If you store your user ID's and passwords in your browser (this is how it logs in to sites automatically), it's possible for other sites (malicious or otherwise) to obtain them.

I use a separate security programme to complete these details for me, independent of the browser and locked up tight, whenever the browser visits the site.

It's a compromise.
Still requires more effort to visit those sites but it's only the click of a button and my passwords are only available where and when they should be.

My advice would be to leave FF (and IE, etc) logging you out automatically.

Which security program do you use for that?

Latest Threads