Firebird Steinberger Tuners

MSB

Reaction score
guess they won't be selling for $300 on eBay anymore

once you get all the set screws tight (which Gibson couldn't do on any of the 3 I had) they were excellent tuners.

but be careful, they are deeper than regular tuners and if you use them with a '15 gold case they WILL touch (at least on the 3 I had). Didn't have any issue with them on white lined or grey lined black factory cases though it was still closer than traditional tuners.

but that was all on Les Pauls, which most don't use them on, so probably worthless info.

judson

Reaction score
i never liked the look of Steinbergers, only saw them on Firebirds whenever first year that was.....

i get a deal on a vintage FB which had Steinbergers on it, and start looking around for period correct tuners before it gets delivered...

while looking, i obviously play the FB everyday when it arrives....maybe after a week...i stopped looking for vintage correct banjo FB tuners

I am sold on Steinbergers....still dont like the look but they function perfectly for me ....i still may switch them out but they will go on something else very soon....

the look is hard to get used to but the function outweighs the look by 10 miles :rock:

judson

Reaction score
guess they won't be selling for $300 on eBay anymore

once you get all the set screws tight (which Gibson couldn't do on any of the 3 I had) they were excellent tuners.

but be careful, they are deeper than regular tuners and if you use them with a '15 gold case they WILL touch (at least on the 3 I had). Didn't have any issue with them on white lined or grey lined black factory cases though it was still closer than traditional tuners.

but that was all on Les Pauls, which most don't use them on, so probably worthless info.
you had them on a LP ?

got any pics...that look might be difficult to get used to but i never thought of them for that use...let me try to hunt a pic down

1570385287901.png

1570385328955.png

meh...i dunno know the back looks ok but i dont know about that front....sort of like some women i know :naughty:

Last edited:

MSB

Reaction score
you had them on a LP ?

got any pics...that look might be difficult to get used to but i never thought of them for that use...let me try to hunt a pic down

View attachment 411750

View attachment 411751

meh...i dunno know the back looks ok but i dont know about that front....sort of like some women i know :naughty:
yep, three '13 future tributes. I bought the first one b/c it was on sale and it had the best neck, so I bought two more... long story short the first had a big neck and with the asymmetrical part, it was the best playing Gibson neck i've owned. The other two were really thin (and the correct spec) so I sold those. But when the steinbergers were going for $300 on eBay, I sold them and put on an extra set of elusions, so the guitar half paid for itself. that same guitar ended up with TV Jones powertrons in it and was a beast, but I was having a kid and decided to liquidate some stuff, so it went to a new home, but that one really did have it.

but like I said, all three had loose set screws on the tuners, so once I figured that out, the tuners really are some of the best, but again, they have more depth, so you have to be careful which case you put them in. I thought, gold top -->> gold case... until about a month in I noticed the indentations in the case from the tuners. I was disappointed, but a different case wasn't the end of the world. Its funny how some things people love are the worst and some that they hate are the best.

i don't think i have any pics on this computer of the steinbergers, i've got one of the one with powertrons. the google images are going to show you what you want to see.

The Jaywalker

Reaction score
I bought my Firebird used for a fair deal. It came stock with the Steinbergers and a stock gig bag.The first time I changed strings one of the tuners came apart but I managed to reasemble it and get 'er done. Later I found an exploded view and instructions which helped.
Every time I looked at the headstock angle I was nervous about the gig bag (Ihave a lot of crap crammed into a small room) so I grabbed an SKB case.
I have to say the Steinbergers on an LP look a little weird to me.

Guitaraxe

Reaction score
Glad they are back on the market. I had "down the road" concerns with my 2012 but now will snag a set to have on hand.... parts,etc...

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Would these install easily on firebirds originally fitted with grovers?

judson

Reaction score
Would these install easily on firebirds originally fitted with grovers?
i am pretty sure they do as the 1972 FB Medallion originally came with Kluson banjo tuners but owner i bought used from had installed steinbergers.....i dont think the prior owner needed to drill anything but just double check your current tuner hole size against the stew mac spec...should work

EDIT: oh wait you said grovers...im not sure on that, what year make of FB....to be sure remove one on your present FB and take some measurements then compare with stewmac diagram

Last edited:

MSB

Reaction score
full sized grovers, yes, minis, not sure